Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite a week in the LA area for work for 3 weeks. A co-worker with a HD and I trailered our bikes out here. So far, we've been to Huntington Beach area, Newport Beach to San Clemente. Today I'm hoping to ride to Lake Elsinore and back, then I think he wants to run PCH north out of LA as far as we can stand to ride. Been having fun and the dreaded work. We'll have a total of 3 weeks here with 6 days on and 1 day off.

·
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ
2,620 Posts
Check out Hwy 33 out of Ojai !!! Google it. "The Rock Store".
Check out Big Bear Lake area, The "Rim of the World". GREAT riding there!.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not quite a week in the LA area for work for 3 weeks. A co-worker with a HD and I trailered our bikes out here. So far, we've been to Huntington Beach area, Newport Beach to San Clemente. Today I'm hoping to ride to Lake Elsinore and back, then I think he wants to run PCH north out of LA as far as we can stand to ride. Been having fun and the dreaded work. We'll have a total of 3 weeks here with 6 days on and 1 day off.

Harold. Where are you staying in the LA area?

LA is big. so to help with suggestions let me know what city??

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Ride any direction N. E. or S. out of LA and you can't go wrong. The PCH you won't regret. It is slow riding distance wise because you'll want to stop so often that you won't get very far. Enjoy

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Watch out for hillside houses changing zip codes during/after rainstorms

Lots of sinkhole activity- a whole Fire truck got swallowed!

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the San Juan Capistrano to Lake Elsinore and back down ride today. It was fun but 49 at the summit. Went back to San Juan Capistrano and walked around. Wanting to go to Big Bear Lake but only 32 there today, so that was out of the question.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Check out Hwy 33 out of Ojai !!! Google it. "The Rock Store".
Check out Big Bear Lake area, The "Rim of the World". GREAT riding there!.
You do not want to go to Big Bear or Rim of the World this time of year. There are FEET of SNOW up there right now. Great rides, but save those for another trip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Staying in garden grove, ca
A few good rides (depending on weather)

1. S2- (Angeles Crest Hwy) La Canada Flintridge exit from the 210,Take it up through Wrightwood (small ski town). Very nice 70 miles of twistys.
You can continue on 138 crossing the 15 onto Lake Silverwood onto Lake Arrow head through Big bear,then down the 38 back to the 210.
Or through Glen Oak for an extended ride through apple country.

Nice day ride with food/fuel in big bear. great Hamburgers n onion rings here. http://gettheburger.com/

If you already been to Elsinore. via the 74 Ortega hwy.

2. From the Bottom of Elsinore head over to Hemet, Head up hwy 74 to Idyllwild. Fantastic twisty road with great Banked Esse's at the top!!

Have lunch at "Jo-An's" great food.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32519-d473221-Reviews-Jo_an_s_Restaurant_Bar-Idyllwild_California.html

Then take the 243 down to Banning to the 10 freeway (I like 243 both ways)

or you could go up the 74 and turn right staying on the 74 out to Palm desert.
at the base of 74 the road changes name to "Monterey" take it to Country club drive and in that plaza on the corner on the right there is a place called "Grill a burger"
Great garlic fries as well as 30 ways to build a burger.
http://grill-a-burger.com/

I have more routes down in the Temecular area if interested?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info ROCKSTAR. Much appreciated. We will do the ones not involving feet of snow at Big Bear (although I would be warmer than the HD guy...BRRR). Wishing it would quit raining/misting. The only full day of sun was the day we got here 15Feb. I know they need the rain here but... looking forward to sunshine.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made it home from being in LA, California for 3 weeks. Had fun riding. Did Huntington Beach, Newport Beach all the way thru Laguna Beach, Santa Monica north on 1 to Oxnard and back down on the 101. Also made the Lake Elsinore ride from San Juan Capistrano and back to San Juan Capistrano. Rode to work on the wing every day. Have decided that the wing is not a saving time LA commuter bike as I am too nervous to split lanes (legal in LA) on the wing. The co worker that I was there with took his HD Road Glide and was a bit braver than me and tried lane splitting twice before deciding he had enough. It seems that if you want to split lanes in CA you need a crotch rocket and no fear. I'm glad we took the bikes (trailered) to LA and made the 1605 mile drive (26 hours) instead of flying and sharing a rental car as I probably will never get the chance to ride out there again. No, we never made the ride to Big Bear Lake as it was always snowing up there, oh well.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yippee, Oxnard. Looks like nice farming there. Slightly south in Ventura is a nice but always busy In and Out Burger. In and Out Burger is always busy with a line around the building and a VERY limited menu. They got it figured out.

·
Administrator
21,858 Posts
Oxnard gets a bad, undeserved, rap. I grew up there and it was a clean, nicely developed community. We had lots of military kids in our classes, from Point Magu, Port Hueneme and Oxnard AFB, all the way through H.S.

And yes, plenty of farming. We'd make our spending money picking anything from strawberries to lemons, then spend that money cruisin' A Street.

Then, at age 15, I got a job at Oxnard Honda and the rest is history.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That Lane splinting on a Goldwing is crazy. I did it on my LTD on HWY 580 in Oakland because the bike was getting hot. The cars in the bay area will give you clearance most of the time but it's not for me. I ain't as young as I once was and I didn't get here splitin lanes. LOL

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
When in doubt about lane space in traffic, I wait for a Harley bagger to pass me, if they can fit thru so can I!
Plus traffic is already alert to presence of motorcycle after loud Harley passes them

The new law in California which makes it LEGAL to lane split- also requires that cages not move over to block passage -
The cage can get a ticket for impeding US!

Note- in the past you could lane split but could be cited for unsafe operation if LE wanted to.
NOW, the signs on freeway ask motorist to Ck mirrors and Watch For Motorcycles.
Its a start~

Since I installed LED aux lights with modulate/flashing mode, traffic willingly makes a bike lane :)

·
Administrator
57,472 Posts
I did some lane splitting on IH-5 going north from San Diego on my '94 GL1500

I followed a CHP trooper and tried to keep up with him.
no way, that boy knows his bike and it is narrower than the Goldwing.

I actually clipped someone's outside mirror with my right side mirror and that ended my Lane Splitting... that is just too close.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.