Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Read a lot of posts lately about caliper rebuilding/cleaning. Don't forget to get the groove that the square cut seal rides inPERFECTLY clean. I've found a dental pick (one of those nasty scary tools the dentist uses to clean between your teeth) perfect for cleaning the edges of the groove. You just need to talk your dentist into giving you one.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

That is a very good point, I've never seen a tool mentioned before, though I guess there must be something available. :clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Bend a nail and grind the bent end to fit the groove. Use an offset screwdriver with a piece of rag. Wipe out with a rag dipped in brake cleaner.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Check your Army/Navy Surplus stores. For whatever reason the ones around here have buckets of old dental picks. If anybody really needs one I'm sure I can send some out...

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

You want to be VERY CAREFUL if using any sharp tools to clean that brake caliper piston groove. Any nicks or sharp scratches will cause future "O" ring leakage & "O" ring degradation, that groove is the sealing surface of the "O" ring to the piston.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I used a brass wire wheel for my Dremel. I used a variable speed device and slowed the tool way down. It worked like a champ, no scoring and very speedy to use.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

/forums/images/emoticons/smile.gifMany  auto  accessory shops (Like Princess Auto, around here  ) often carry  the dental picks, the little mirrors on sticks, and the little magnets  on sticks... very useful/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif... but .... I agree with Twisty , esp on aluminum parts.. I found that a long  sliver  cut from the edge of  an  (expired/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif )credit card to be an ideal  cleaning  tool, sometimes with a paper cloth wrapped around the tip............. as to the  the brass Dremel wheel(spinning around rapidly )...  I would prefer to use a brass "toothbrush " to prevent any scratching .. SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

As I stated, I used a variable speed attachment to bring the speed of the tool down to an acceptable limit. I did not observe any etching or abrasion to the groove and I've run about 5000 miles since the rebuild with no leaks around the caliper area. You can't be ham handed no matter what youuse. The calipers, as you know, are cast aluminum or something close. I just brushed the seals grooves gently with the wheel. I think that there's more of a chance of damage using a stainless steel pick that using a soft wheel.

hobie

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I'm going to have to give that a try. Just put new pucs in the 82 and they seem to be sticking. Thought I'd just wait it out for a bit till the newness was wore off the pucs.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

When I cleaned the rear caliper I used a wire brush (tooth brush sytle) to clean the groove.After that the seal went in easy and so did the piston!:D

It is real critical to get that groove clean! Other than that you will be fighting to remove the piston again. :shock:Trust me... You want to clean it up really good before you even think of putting the piston back in...:whinger:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.