Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caliper rebuild question

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Hobie1 
imported post

Max 5640 wrote:
Can anyone help me with information on how to get a stuck brake piston out to clean an lube it?It's the rear caliper I'm trying to rebuild, When I got this aspencade last month, it was in alot of parts and pieces - the brakes being someof them, so I can't use the brake pedal to pump them out.and I'm sure they have alot of "crud" stuck down with the pistons, they are both (both pistons) really seized up, Is there a way to get the whole caliper apart or is there something a repair shop can do to maybe press them out? Or should I just bite the bullet, give up with this one,and try and find another caliper.Thanks to all who contribute here, I'm learning alot about this great motorcycle.:cool:
Max 5640, with the master cylinder being in parts & pieces you have lost the option of hydraulicking the pistons out with the bikes brake system..

Other choices include placing a hard piece of wood in the caliper opening (between the pistons & caliper) then using compressed air to blow the piston(s) out.. If doing that do so away from any painted things like cars, trucks, bikes, etc.. Sometimes when they pop out it will blow some brake fluid around.. Be sure to add the wood (or plastic) between the pistons & caliper so the piston(s) don't come blasting out & damage them. Also be sure to keep your finger out from between the pistons & caliper as they could severely damage your fingers..

If you don't have high pressure compressed air, or that doesn't work, then find a threaded brass pipe bushing that comes close to fitting the brake hose hole on your caliper, theninstall that bushing, then install a grease Zerk fitting in the bushing,, then use a pump up grease gun to force the pistons out.. If one starts moving let it move a little then place a wood block between the piston & caliper to keep it from popping out, then allow the other piston to also move.. If those pistons are stubborn you might have to use a propane torch to heat the caliper slightly while applying grease pressure.. You will be surprised at how much pressure a grease gun can generate..

Twisty

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.