Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've had an occasional problem with my left caliper rattling on light braking, I've traced it to the lower pivot bolt where the anti-dive piston resides. I've noticed while torquing the caliper bolts to spec this pivot moves rather easily. the right side does not seem to move but then again the force when torquing the bolts is in the opposite direction. Is this normal or do I have a problem in that left side? Also the anti-dive settings, do the numbers mean that setting one is the least resistive to moving or the most? Thanks in advance.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

It should move fairly freely.
If you are talking about pad chatter on light braking, I would recommend that you make sure your brake pistons move freely, the rotor surface is flat and the pads are flat.
If the rotor is concave, the brake pads will grab and hop like crazy at light braking and it will transfer to the anti-dive control as a result.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

This from the 85 handbook but possibly the same

1 = light antidive
2 = medium
3 = hard
4 = maximum andive

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Rudy wrote:
It should move fairly freely.

If the rotor is concave, the brake pads will grab and hop like crazy at light braking and it will transfer to the anti-dive control as a result.
That sounds more like what's happening.I can hear the caliper bracket at the anti-dive piston moving.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

tricky wrote:
This from the 85 handbook but possibly the same

1 = light antidive
2 = medium
3 = hard
4 = maximum andive
Is the number 4 the setting that take the most amount of force to make the antidive operate or the least or the least? Under light braking I can hear the antidive ratchet when I pull the lever. It doesn't go back to the normal position until I release it. It doesn't move back and forth withe the turning of the rotor.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

ok--lets try it this way at # 1 you`ll have front end dive when aplieing front brake.also some front dive when aplieing foot brake . the higher the # --the higher the restance to front end dive . a #2 setting for me on the highway , # 4 in the fun part.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
ok--lets try it this way at # 1 you`ll have front end dive when aplieing front brake.also some front dive when aplieing foot brake . the higher the # --the higher the restance to front end dive . a #2 setting for me on the highway , # 4 in the fun part.
Thanks,now I understand.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Is this a brake problem, or a front fork problem?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. The calipers have been rebuilt and the fork oil changed with 15W fork oil.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

wing ding, I felt the anti dive wasnt doing anything on mine so I took both sides apart to have a look.

Inside there is a rubber disk which apparently has a soft aluminum disk inside it. On my left side this rubber/aluminum disk was bent in at the center, the right side was completely flat.
I was able to hammer the concave one flat against the concrete floor.
I cant say there is any difference now in the anti dive, probably this seal is leaking past but anyway, something to look at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.