Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

For those in or around Richmond, Va (Chesterfield area, near 288 and Ironbridge) - is anyone available sometime to just listen to my bike and tell me what you think this noise is? It's hard to describe, and the local Honda House won't touch a bike as old as mine! No, seriously - I've been turned out. They'll sell me parts, but won't take her in for service. Actually, I'd do my own service, IF I knew what the heck that sound is!

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Try and describe it anyway. I'm up in Winchester, otherwise I'd come out and lend an ear.

Is it motor or tranny related?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if you have a digital camera, most of them can record video+audio. record a small clip of ur bike and would help us even to locate where it comes from if u walk around the bike.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi guys,

No audio on my camera...too old. :(

I tried describing the sound before, and a few replied but seemed to be talking about other sounds.

What I have is a loud, sort of"clacking" when I first take off. It happens much more when it's cold (that is, when the engine is cold, not the outside temp). The sound doesn't happen at speed, so even though it sounds like a piston hitting the head (well, what I *imagine* that would sound like), it seems that the disappearance of the sound at normal RPMs would rule that out.

I am almost 100% positive that it's not the primary chain - I have that sound from time to time as well, and that's more of a rattle or other relatively quiet sound.

As for where the sound is coming from, well, it's hard to say, since it happens primarily when I'm trying to launch from a stop. Seems to be on both sides.

A while back someone said it was that the carbs were out of synch...and lacking the tools (and knowledge) to do the job, I took it to the Honda shop in Knoxville, TN. That restored a BUNCH of power, and the noise lessened, but it still happens. So, before I do anything drastic (like tearing in to find a problem that may not be there), I'd like an experienced ear. Come to think of it, I don't even think I have an old style tape recorder anymore! Maybe my new high-tech cell phone has something...

Anyway, to be honest I was also hoping a local would be able to sort of point me in the right direction as far as synching, too. :)

Thanks for reading, guys!

Jack

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

hay jack
hang in there--some is bound to see this cry for an ear in your area. what have you checked so far ?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Can you ride it? I am in Norfolk and would be more than willing to help out. I have @ 2 weeks here before my next hunting excursion so time is an issue.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Oh yeah, she's rideable...I just need to get the inspection updated. :)

I'll let you know, and thanks for the offer. You said "hunting excursion"...do you mean actual hunting? What's in season this time of year?

Jack

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Sounds like predetonation. My 82 had it real bad when I got it but since I ride like a house a fire it cleared up and runs fine now. My 81 I bought and just got running about 3-4 months ago has it but every one here a yaer or so back was saying that is natural for the 80-81 because it is geared to high for start outs.

I ran 92 oct gas in the 82 untill that rattle ceased.

Dwight

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks, Dwight. The problem though is that it isn't a rattle, it's a loud clack sound.

I'll try to get a .WAV or .MP3 of the sound this weekend.

Jack

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Yes. That is what my 81 sounds like. Like the crank and pistons will fall on the ground at any moment.

I guess lug sound would be more acurate than octane knock. My Dad had a 51 International that would lug down to counting the fireing and sounded just like that. But I don't think my Wing would pull the school bus dads pickup did with the brakes locked up.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Oh yeah, she's rideable...I just need to get the inspection updated. :)

I'll let you know, and thanks for the offer. You said "hunting excursion"...do you mean actual hunting? What's in season this time of year?

Jack
I just returned from 2 weeks in S.C. for Muzzleloader Deer Season, and on the 1st of NovemberMuzzleloader opens here in Va.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.