Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

looking for a good pair of 1500cam belt tensioners can any one help?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Better off getting them new Glenn as there isn't any real way to tell how much life is left in a used pair. I know someone off the forum here (won't mention his name unless he wants to admit it himself) who put a used set in his gl1200 a couple of years back. They seemed fine, but the right side one started squealing after six or eight weeks and they both had to be pulled out and replaced with new ones. How much do new ones cost?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

$79 each from www.partsfish.com and they could be cheaper elsewhere. With almost $2 to the UK£ it's not too expensive. Much cheaper than fitting iffy useditems.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

'fraid that was me Max, as ya well know. At least wefigured it our before disaster struck.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
'fraid that was me Max, as ya well know. At least wefigured it our before disaster struck.
Brian,

Were you hearing any sounds when the idler was going bad?

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

There's not normally problems with the 1500 tensioners.Mine are just starting to rumbel but the've got 100.000 mile on them. The earlier model wings suffered more

but if USA ones are only about $160 a pair thats notto bad I will just order some.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Were you hearing any sounds when the idler was going bad?

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:
Got a rumbling sound first and everyone thought it was the crankshaft or similar, especially when it turned to a knocking sound. Then a squealing noise developed and as there aren't any fan belts on a Wng, it was obvious that the tensioner was bad.When we took them (both) out, the bad one was very rough to spin. I think it would have fallen to pieces eventually.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

glennuk wrote:
There's not normally problems with the 1500 tensioners.Mine are just starting to rumbel but the've got 100.000 mile on them. The earlier model wings suffered more

but if USA ones are only about $160 a pair thats notto bad I will just order some.
You won't get a better time to buy them with the dollar/pound rate so good in your favour.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

GWEddie wrote:
glennuk wrote:

You won't get a better time to buy them with the dollar/pound rate so good in your favour.
I just popped for $160 for a new pair of idlers. Heard a slight little noise from the front of the engine while idling, pulled the cover and found aslightly slack belt.There was a slight bit of free play on the idlerswhen rocking them side to side. Thought I'd better take care of it before the warm weather really sets in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.