Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was about to pull the right head off of my 83 aspy, and I got the Valve Covers off, and I found all the bolts were loose holding the camshaft. The cylinder bolts were properly torqed. My question is, with the cam bolts being loose on both heads, would this cause the coolant to get into my oil? On the right side, I could turn them with a standard 12mm wrench 1/2 turn. On the right fuel pump side, I was able to turn them 1 turn easily. Redicilous! These torque at 15ft lbs. Any help before I pull the heads would be appreciated. I am also going to check the belt timing marks and see if they are correct and torqued properly before removing the top ends.The coolant leaked down even without the engine running.
Thanks,
Nightrider1 Aka David

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I think all of those bolt holes are blind.. no way to leak coolant..

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks. Looks like I am about to pull a head. Gonna fill up the resivoir, and do a "dead start" and see it it will blow coolant out of one of the spark plug holes??? Hope I can see it this way??? I borrowed a compression tester from my neighbor, but it would not fit. I am not too fond of doing all of this, but I wanna do something. I Can't sit around much longer, LOL
You are very much appreciated.
Nightrider1 Aka David

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Before you do anything keep this thread at the top. I remember reading another thread recently where some sealant was used for something like this. I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

k1w1t1m wrote:
Before you do anything keep this thread at the top. I remember reading another thread recently where some sealant was used for something like this. I'll have a look around and see what I can find.
I don't recommend sealants except as a temporary fix (example: to get home).. The only good stuff that I am aware of has silicates and fibersin it ("tons" of it) and it plays havoc with the Gold Wing water pump seals.. also, the passages are so small in the Goldwing engine and radiator, you risk plugging "holes" that shouldn't be plugged...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I'm with you on that!

I can't find the thread, it had something to do with plugs under the cams or something. I was thinking like you were Jim , that it wasn't a great idea, but thought it might help Nightrider1.

If it is leaking from the cam or the retaining bolts then you should be able to see it by taking off the rocker covers.

Has the waterpump been proved/disproved?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I have not pulled the waterpump yet. I have been looking for the Pic on another post. I could not find it. I did pull the plugs out, and the plugs on the left sise are white as snow. Blown Head Gasket it probably is. Gonna look 4 one on Flea Bay.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Permatex will work on the 2 plugs under the cams also. I went to check the timing, and I topped off the compression stroke, and it is off 2 notches after the compression stroke. It's a wonder it even run at all. After startup and warming, it sounded like I was going to have to replace an engine. It is borderline on timing. Someone did not know what they were doing. (Like Me) whooever done this work really done a really suckup job. I'm going to have both top ends repaired and the belts corrected at the shop. It's just too much for me right now. But getting such a nice bike for the price will be well worth it.
I finally got to speak to the man who done the right side previously, and he did not sound like a Goldwing Mechanic, probably shadetree but he owns a Bike repair shop, and I will not be taking it back there. I can do it, I am sure of this, because I done my Standard, but this radiator has to come off to make sure the Center Cam TDC matches up with the timing marks on the both outer edges , replace the gaskets, dowell pins, and Torque properly.
I could never get the belts lined up on the compression stroke with them 2 notches off. Like I said earlier, this is rediciouous, but will well be worth doing correctly. It's an imulacite 83 Aspencade. I just have to wait till my Doc says it's ok to do things since my heart attack. I'm really [email protected]#$%^&*( off. LOL
Thanks Everyone
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

On the water pump, I am not leaking any oil. It's just the left side Head Gasket, because the plugs were white, and the right side was black. If I were leaking oil from the Weep Hole, i'd go ahead and repalce the washers, but the water pump seems to work well. It has not run hot on me, but got a mixture of collant in my oil.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the leak,
but since the bolts were loose use locktite putting it back together
Heart attack, I know about that. I got 3 bypass dec 29. Still some tenderness and numbness in the chest muscles, no push ups possible. But the wing doesn't bother it.

And the rest of you folks- watch what you eat and exercise more. Was not a fun new years!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.