Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

There are two small voids in the lobes of one of my camshafts--- one of them is 1/2 to 1 mm, and the other is a bit larger but is at the edge of the surface. Are these voids something that I should try to get repaired or is this a non-issue? (They came back from a cam repair place like that, so I don't know if they just didn't do a good QA job, or if it's really not a big deal.)

My second question is similar to that one-- the rocker arms were refaced, and the machine marks are plainly visible. They feel smooth to the finger tip, but with my fingernail I can feel the marks. Should these be polished before I put them back in the bike?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

(attempt #3)

There are two small voids in the lobes of one of my camshafts--- one of them is 1/2 to 1 mm, and the other is a bit larger but is at the edge of the surface. Are these voids something that I should try to get repaired or is this a non-issue? (They came back from a cam repair place like that, so I don't know if they just didn't do a good QA job, or if it's really not a big deal.)

My second question is similar to that one-- the rocker arms were refaced, and the machine marks are plainly visible. They feel smooth to the finger tip, but with my fingernail I can feel the marks. Should these be polished before I put them back in the bike?

Thanks!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Can you post pictures of them? Just like accident/bodywork damage, it is hard to assess it without actually seeing it.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Quite right, I was thinking it would be a good idea and then forgot to do it.

Here they are, hopefully they're good enough to get an idea of the concern.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

So, you sent the cams and rockers out for machine work?

Were the cams re-ground? And why surface the rockers?

Edit: No, there should be no casting flaws or weld pits remaing on a finished cam. And yes, I'd smooth those rockers. Who did you send that stuff out to?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The rockers had "waves" in them, and since they said it $4/rocker I didn't see any reason not to do it. I tried to take pictures of it before I sent it in, but couldn't get a good photo.

One of rockers (and the lob it was riding) actually had some significant problems; the cam shop said it may have just been due to a momentary loss of lubrication.

From looking at the coloration of the lobes before I sent it in, it lookes to me like the rockers were not riding flat on the lobes. I asked for the cam shaft to be reground as necessary to return it to spec.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

The first one looks like some sort of a screw-up but not important if there is no metal sticking out above the "plane" of the ground surface.. the second looks "normal".. like a small void in the casting.. again if nothing sticks out, it should be okay.. On the rockers, I'd have to do a little more research as to what wears where...

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

The cams look good enough, I see that sort of pitting and chipping a lot on car cams and they keep working. The main thing is that the surface hardening on the lobes isn't worn through.
I don't like the look of the surface on the rocker, they should be smooth. If the surfaces are all as rough as that one looks in the photo, they really should have been finished better than that. If I had them in my hands, I would have to think carefullyabout whether to throw them in the bin or send them back to the machine shop for another try at getting it right. They might already have been ground down too far.

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

It's hard to tell on the rocker arm but it looks like the hardened material has been ground off.
Since you can feel the waves with your fingernail... it's toast.
The rocker surface should be glass smooth.

The cams will probably be ok. The minor imperfection in the 2nd picture is on the 'base' of the camshaft. There will be very minor pressure from the rockers on the base.
The other pic shows the imperfection of the back side of the ramp. I'd be much more concerned if it was on the front of the ramp….that's where all the rocker arm pressure is. Be sure that there's no protrusions at either spot. Use 400+ wet-dry paper to buff off any protrusions…. make sure it's glass smooth. If you need to buff it don't buff across the cam…. buff in the direction of rotation if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

if it were me i'd just emmory cloth the cam itself take the rough spots off as far as the rocker arm as long as it looks good i'd let it slide

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

Looks like they did the rockers on a bench grinder, I wouldn't use them like that. Nothing wrong with the cam, those flaws won't hurt anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.