Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just finished changing the head gaskets and installing new timing belts while I'm in there. When I have the left pulley (as sitting on bike) torqued to spec, the belts in place, everything tightened up and try ti turn the engine(plugs out) the belt slips over the pully. If I loosen the bolt it will turn fine. I've removed the cam holder assemblies to make sure everything is correct. Keep getting everything put back together and have the same problem. What could I be missing?

Bike is a 1985 Aspencade with 80,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for your help, the info in this forum has been a life saver.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Sounds like maybe a valve hitting a piston. Make sure the line up marks are correct. Careful that you don`t bend a valve.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Check that belt timing again. These pictures might help, I plucked them out of a post in the reference forum. Note in last picture, there is another mark on the pulley that can be confused with the proper one.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Cam pully??

I'm sure your talking about the cam tentionor pully. If the pully would turned before you took it apart then something has change when you put it back together.

When you tork it down and the pully stops turning your locking the pully against something. Might have a couple of washers or spacers in the wrong place and they are locking against the outer part of the pully and not letting it spin on the bearing.

It could all so be that you over torked the bolt and it crushed the bearing in the pully.

I would take a good look at the bearing and (or) re-check and make sure it has been put back together right.

You are a little vauge on what your trying to relay to us here.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Based on what you are describing, your missing a spacer/Washer behind the pulley.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Based on what you are describing, your missing a spacer/Washer behind the pulley.
+1, I'm thinking the same thing. Spacer or washer put in the wrong place.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Spacer/washer behind the pulley....that makes sense. Fortunatly, I picked up a parts bike a couple days ago, I'll go and carefully pully the pulley on that one and find out what I'm missing. Th,,, ianks much guys

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

There isn't a spacer behind either cam pulleys, they sit straight on the camshaft and woddruff key.
The plate behind the jammed pulley may not be sitting against the head properly, or it could be jamming against one of the 10mm bolts.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Are you talking about the belt jumping the cam teeth in the cam gear when you try and turn it?? OR are you talking about the belt sliding on thetentionor pulley??

Kurt

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Belt jumping the teeth on the pulley bolted to the cam end.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

That's the one Dennis.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well, darn it. Gaswing is right. There isn't a spacer behind the pulley on the extra bike. Next, I'll remove & reinstall the heat sheild behind the pulley. Everything seems to line up correctly though.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the belt timing Jay, against the pictures that Tom posted above? If the timing is spot on and the pulley isn't rubbing against the engine case, you may have a sticking camshaft. All the cam components back in their original locations and not mixed up?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks John, I pulled the cam holder assembly again last night, lubed it all up and reinstalled it again according to the Honda shop manual. Don't have the belts back on yet. When the belt was slipping while hand turning it last night the right pulley turned fine do I pullef that cam assembly and lined up everything as close as possible. When the pully is back on on the right side I can make minor adjustments by hand or with a little leverage to get the marks lined perfect. The left side is very stiff even before I tighten the pulley to the cam end.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Okay, so we know the cam is tight anyway even with the belt off and the pulley on loose. I guess it's the same with the spark plugs out and no compression hindering or misleading you.
That being the case, I think you need to get the rocker cover off and take a look at the camshaft and find out where it is binding.

I rebuild an old Toyota engine once, put in new piston rings to stop it burning oil. But when I put the main bearing and caps caps back on and torqued them up, I had got them mixed up and the crankshaft wouldn't turn for me. Locked up good it was. I had fun swapping the caps around until I got it right.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Yes Tom, the plugs are still out. Gotta run to a Lodge meeting. I'll be back at it as soon as I get back. Plan is to ride 160 miles north today to see my new grandson...I'm sure his older brother is missing his granddad.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

All right, figured it out, started up and still sounds a little rough and getting white smoke out the tailpipe. I'm assuming there would be a little antifreeze left in the pipes/system. How long should I let run before I cry?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Why did you do the headgaskets in the first place? Were you haveing a problem or was it doing something?

Bill

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.