Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here is the moment of strike, I took these stills from my Formosa Video, if you note the time in both pic's I stitched together they are within the same second, on the left is before the camera drag - on the rt you can see the forward view after strike, at the very rt edge you can see my floorboard scraping and the angle of the bike. Then look again at the left pic & note the deflection of the sidewall on that much of a lean angle, not much....

Then here is the camera after

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Looking at the tire, it looks a little low on air pressure or is that because you are hitting a bump at that particluar moment in time.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That's just the flex in the sidewall from leaning over that far(note the floorboard on the right). I"m running 41#, Max indicated on the tire & if you see my otherpost with the video & pic of the tire tread it's pretty good wear. :action::action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,197 Posts
imported post

Impressed with the Tire.

Now, do I choose the Formosa or the taxi tire? :badgrin:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Me too John - The Taxi tire is a little taller & riding 2up & pulling a trailer most of the time, I think I'll stick with the Formosa to avoid bottoming out on bumps like Dusty & others have noted.
Ken also mentioned & I've seen the Taxi tire has a more rounded tread profile on the shoulders but I don't find any problem with the Formosa, I run gravel roads without noticing any squirming like before :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Is the formosa smaller than a normal MT or the same size?

I have a 1200..... so the answer won't do me any good.... YET! Just taking notes and planning ahead....:readit::toast:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The Formoza is close to 1 1/2" shorter in overall height compared to the 160/80-16 which is stock tire for the 1500. It ends up lowering the bike's rear endbetween 5/8" - 3/4"

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'm wondering if that lower rear end has any bearing on the front tire cupping issue ????

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I brightened it up. Hope you don't mind. Helluva interesting picture. :waving:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Look at the size of that foot print, boys...

I drug the tips of my toes while on the factory pegs two days ago with the Dunlop Wintersport.

Never did that with a stock tire... ever!

[align=center]"Those who doubt the power of the dark side are fools."

Emperor Palpatine

A long, long time ago...
In a galaxy, far far away...

[/align]

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ok, here is the helmet view if the ride, the camera hit was on the last corner before I caught one of our new members (zap, who traded his StreetGlide on a 2010 Black Wing about a month ago) borrowing some Christmas decorations from the local township. The hit occurred rounding the last corner before I stopped..........
The camera clocks are not in sync in-case anyone picks up on it but they are real close...........

Helmet view

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
I drug the tips of my toes while on the factory pegs two days ago with the Dunlop Wintersport.

[align=center]
[/align]
So - your safety margin is gone, and you're gonna have to behave like a newbie-Harley rider and fiftypence your turns now?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
us385south wrote:

[align=center]
[/align]
So - your safety margin is gone, and you're gonna have to behave like a newbie-Harley rider and fiftypence your turns now?
Good point...

But the thing is... I never trusted any other tire enough to dive into the curves like this... not even the Michelin GT.

This is a good tire...

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:

Must be an awful lot of arrow straight roads in Texas. Toe dragging on stock pegs is everyday occurence on the 1800 with cycle tires.

Still...looks like you hada fun ride!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

well the way I see it the toe dragging is a problem with the dunlop. if it was stock hieght that problem would be lessened. The taxi tire would have a major advantage here if your going to go darkside.
wilf

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Not necessarily wilf. The larger Taxi tire results in contact between the tire and fender when you hit bumps - wearing the tire & bike parts. "Toe draggin" is mostly a voluntary controllable situation, the lesser of the two situation. Also the shorter Formosa is more suited to short legged riders. :waving:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Ok, here is the moment of fate from the tire camera in action

Tire Camera hit.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
I drug the tips of my toes while on the factory pegs two days ago with the Dunlop Wintersport. Never did that with a stock tire... ever!
That's surprising I've done the same on my 1500 and 1800 running stock sized MC tires many times. Usually the toes of my boots will hit the pavement just a bit before the pegs themselves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.