Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the archives on this and didn't really see an answer, so question is if you have a video camera mounted on the 'wing, where'd you put it ?

Going to try to limit this somewhat so not really interested in rider-mounted cameras or rear facing ones, just a "standard" camcorder.

I have a Ram mount on both sides of the handlebars for GPS, etc, and have used one as a camera mount, but shooting through the shield isn't what I want.

So far the only thing I've come up with it to connect two ram mount extensions and that puts the camera outside the windshield. I'd like to be able to also control the camera w/o having to get off the bike, which sort of eliminates the crash bars.

This will work, but just wanted to see if there were alternatives I hadn't seen.

TIA

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Are you using the 6" arm on the ram mount?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using the 6" arm on the ram mount?
Not too close to it right now, but I think it is. It won't clear the shield with one, but by hooking two together with a double ball fitting, it should work fine.
Just wondered if anybody had an alternative I wasn't seeing.

Thought about a spring clip on the windshield at the side, but to much flex and would really make a shaky video.

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
I suspect two ram bars put together to make along one will be pretty shaky too. I have not tried a camera mounted on the Wing but I wonder if a mount like the ones used for the hand wings that mount on the mirror would work. It could very well mar the mirror but it should be a pretty good location both for accessibility and to give a good solid mount point. I wonder if the mirror mount could be bought by itself.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect two ram bars put together to make along one will be pretty shaky too. I have not tried a camera mounted on the Wing but I wonder if a mount like the ones used for the hand wings that mount on the mirror would work. It could very well mar the mirror but it should be a pretty good location both for accessibility and to give a good solid mount point. I wonder if the mirror mount could be bought by itself.
Been thinking 'bout what you said. The length of the extension does worry me a bit.

It has air wings so maybe I could fab up a mount that would fit on the same mounting point.

Gives me something to think about this Winter.

Thanks

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Well, I just dig some checking around the mirror as the brain has been clicking on that area. The hand wing mount might work.
But while checking that, I pulled back the rubber to look at the mirror mounting screws to the fairing and I think a mount could be fabricated to attach with the mirror screws, up through a slit in the top of the rubber(might get a sacrificial rubber) so it sits centered between the mirror and windshield. I have been procrastinating doing something for some time so will have to do something about this soon!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just dig some checking around the mirror as the brain has been clicking on that area. The hand wing mount might work.
But while checking that, I pulled back the rubber to look at the mirror mounting screws to the fairing and I think a mount could be fabricated to attach with the mirror screws, up through a slit in the top of the rubber(might get a sacrificial rubber) so it sits centered between the mirror and windshield. I have been procrastinating doing something for some time so will have to do something about this soon!
Sounds interesting.
Soon as I can get to the bike this w/e, will check that out as well.

You mention the right side, is there a reason the left wouldn't be the same deal ?

Going from memory here as me and the machine are temporarily separated.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I have a 6" and a 3" with a double ball and never had issues with vibration, at least no more than any other connection. I don't see a whole lot of difference between recording through the windshield or around it unless Im not paying attention and take pictures for a couple of days with a huge bug splat in front of the camera........

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 6" and a 3" with a double ball and never had issues with vibration, at least no more than any other connection. I don't see a whole lot of difference between recording through the windshield or around it unless Im not paying attention and take pictures for a couple of days with a huge bug splat in front of the camera........
Have done both ways and find a lot of reflection from the windshield. Little streaks that I can't even see will almost act like prisms in bright sun.

Doesn't give near the clearness as directly taken shots for me.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You mention the right side, is there a reason the left wouldn't be the same deal ?
I did??????

I was thinking along those lines, Didn't know I typed it. You been reading my mind????? Who you been talkin to? :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did??????

I was thinking along those lines, Didn't know I typed it. You been reading my mind????? Who you been talkin to? :shock:
It's a gift !

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Have done both ways and find a lot of reflection from the windshield. Little streaks that I can't even see will almost act like prisms in bright sun.

Doesn't give near the clearness as directly taken shots for me.
I never had an issue with the sun through the windshield, I could see where that could be a problem, but I have never had it. I have a Show Chrome windscreen on mine, not sure if it make a difference. On my 1200, I noticed a lot of deflection, wavy type motions if in movie format, I see very little of that on the 1500. Most of my movie taking however has been slower, curvy roads where it would be less noticeable.

I have mounted my go pro on my helmet, which works well..... only downside was everyone knows what your looking at while taking a video, so ya gotta hope nothing pretty shows up in your peripheral.........:waving:

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I've been using a car windscreen mount. Large sucker mount which sticks to nearside wing mirror. Used it for two years and never fallen off. (I do have a safety strap in case). Bought on e bay for couple of pounds.
You still have half a mirror to see with

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Interesting thread....I have been wanting to do something similar for a while now....I'll be watching to see what better minds come up with.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Hi,

I use a GoPro on my 1500. Great little camera.

I use it 98% of the time in the middle of the fairing, mounted on the front chrome bezel. If we’re in areas that are mountainous and such, and I have the scenic areas off to my right, I will move the camera to the right side mount (pointed out but not shown).

I still get the road in front of me but much better shots and views of the scenic drive.

Tim.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.