Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay before I go off and dream up a new designfor a bracket to hold my GoPro camera onto my GL-1800 Goldwing I'd like to ask if anyone knows the ideal location to mount this camera to obtain the best video and what brackets to buy off the shelf to do so. Please advise.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

I don't know what brackets to buy, but I have some observations on placement. Handlebars is the most popular location, the only downside is you get some bumps and rattle through them. But the sheer convenience of being able to adjust the camera easily on the handlebars makes up for everything else.
I've seen some camcorders mounted on the engine bars. That gives a great low angle for filming, and the footage should be rock steady. But you can't adjust the camera while on the move.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Nvrpc,

I have a GoPro too. What an awesome little camera it is.

I have not mounted it to my 1500 yet but have used it extensively with my 1100. I have only used the mounts that came with the camera. I did not need any more mounts than what it came with and I can tell you this... once placed, those mounts will never come off or move (unless YOU take them off). The articulating joints that came with it does everything I need and more. I can achieve any angle I need. I have 3 mounting places.

1) My noggin! I have installed one of the mounts on the very top of my helmet. This is a good spot as it gets the camera up nice and high for good viability. You have the added benefit to purposely "point" the camera where you want it to be. That can also be a not so good point when you look at some pretty lady walking down the road and you head naturally follows your eyes. Christine (my wife) didn't like that view at all!

There is one neat thing about this mounting. While using it in traffic, you get to see all the potential dangers that you "saw". and how you moved your head in the direction of the danger and reacted. The chilling part of this is you get to see the dangers you missed but didn't catch up with you. Very eye opening.

2) In the middle of the fairing. Great for all around ridding. Catches everything straight ahead and a good wide view (depending on the mode of you recording of 1080 or 720).

3) To the right hand side. I added this mount as I was doing the Cabot Trail run in Cape Breton Nova Scotia Canada. Very mountainous roads mostly along the shore line. Beyond fantastic to drive. This gave me the height to see over the guard rails and get great video of the vistas and also catches the road straight ahead.

Here are some pictures of where I mounted them.

Hope this helps.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Nvrpc,

I also might add that I thought about doing something with the handlebars but decided against it. The video quality would not be what I wanted as it would be looking through the windshield. I think the glare and reflection would be horrible. Also, the camera would move with the handlebars and not stay level as you move them as you drive.

As far as safety goes... both hands on the bars!!! You should not be playing with anything that you have to look at for long periods of time to "adjust".

The GoPros do not have a screen (natively - it's an option). Pick a place to mount it and then try the camera out, view the video, adjust to taste! I did it in two tries.

I am so happy with where I mounted them on the 1100, the video was so good, that that is where I will mount them on the 1500. I will build another regulated and filtered power supply and have the camera powered off the bikes electrical system and just replace the 32mb cards as I need to (I use two and swap them back and forth).

One final note, the lower the camera is to the ground, the less you get to see and it looks like your racing like a bat out of he** while you're doing 20kph! A trick of the camera. Great if you're a race car but not good if you want to record a wonderful outing to show friends and family.

Tim.

P.S. This picture is a still (cropped a little for another project) from the GoPro mounted on the right hand side.

Attachments

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

nvrpc wrote:
Okay before I go off and dream up a new designfor a bracket to hold my GoPro camera onto my GL-1800 Goldwing I'd like to ask if anyone knows the ideal location to mount this camera to obtain the best video and what brackets to buy off the shelf to do so. Please advise.
There is a gentleman on the GL1800 forums that makes a windshield mount for the GoPro. He goes by Fire Up. Here is a link to thread where guys are talking about mounting a contour camera to the wing. Look at the photos on the second post down for the prototype of the mount. He has since refined it to look much nicer.

Go Pro Camera mount by Fire Up

Henry

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

A minor point but here it is illegal to mount anything on outside of the helmet but I did anyway. You see what I see.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Not doubting you Len, but what law/code is this covered under, I've talked to local OPP & Municipal officers with my helmet/camera mounted on Rt side & have never had any comments made.:?

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I tried to get on that site to contact the gentleman that makes the mount but I have to wait until the adminstrator there gives me permission to ask. If I had his e-mail address I'd just write him. Oh well..

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

nvrpc wrote:
I tried to get on that site to contact the gentleman that makes the mount but I have to wait until the adminstrator there gives me permission to ask. If I had his e-mail address I'd just write him. Oh well..
I have an account there. PM me what you want to ask and who to contact and I'll do so for you.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Is the lens on the camera protected? Seems like pooping along all day with a camera out there in the wind would take a beating.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

The entire camera is inside a waterproof plastic case as well is it LCD back . Go here and see what it looks like http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CKio0PjzxawCFSkZQgodAX4wqg I did a hand carry test run of the camera this moring in 960 P and the file was way to big for youtube so I have no clue how I'm going to be able to post the long whindy mountain runs I often do for all to see. Anyway I can always set the camera up to take one shot every 10 seconds and then pick out the best pictures to keep. I suspect there will be times when I'm going to catch a bug and get some lousy pictures but that's just the nature of the beast. Nothing some windex can't cure at the next gas stop.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

Just picked up a new GoPro Hero 2 and will be mounting it as well. I did grab the tripod mount, which you can then use to connect to a RAM mount if you already have those in place. My son suction cupped his to the swingarm of his Yamaha, but that takes more courage than I am able to muster.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I ended up buying a non commercial bracket that clamped to the windshield because I did not want to drill holes in the bike and I did not trust the double sided stick tape on that pad to hold the camera as I went down the road. I will also be adding a quick release landyard so when I get off that bike the goPor goes in the truck. It's just way to easy to have someone rip it off anf walk away, neer to be seen again. I am also interested in the WiFi back that's coming out in FEB for this camera. I also got the LCD back. THis made it Soooo much better. Now all I have to do is find a site that will let me upload large video free so I can link to them and share with other. So far YouTube won't let me without paying a big fee..

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I have mine on top of the helmet so as my head turns the camera catches the view. Also less shocking vibrations, but it is out of the slip stream set up by the wind screen.

Initial work with the camera is on

Let us know of your progress in using the Hero.

http://longboaterworld.shutterfly.com/

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

There is no URL to visit. I can see I need to find a video editing program so I can extract only the section of the 1-4 hour video I want to share.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Okay, next question. It is obvious that I need some free software if possible whereby I can edit these long 2 hours videos I will be taking on my trips so that only the section of the long clip I want can be cut out and save as a separate file. Who knows what software is ideal for this dilemma?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

With my camera's I can set the video setting to record 2 - 5 minute segments, this makes it easy to find what I want. When I transfer the clips to convert or edit, I rename them to the starting time on the clip. As for good "FREE" software, anything I found was pretty basic. there are some good Youtube tips. :waving:

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

On theGo Pro I saw where I could set the camera to take a picyure every 5 -10- 30 seconds but I did not see a setting for taking a short video clip every 5-10 seconds. Are you using a Go Pro or some other site

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

My camera's are not Go Pro, it seems be the Go Pro manual that this video setting is not an option. Perhaps someone with a Go Pro will know ?? This pic shows one of my camera's after I scraped it doing a tire video, it's still working like new

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I am using a Go Pro sofware and camera but I'll be uploading my videos to shutterfly and sending the link to this forum for peopel to view if they want too. Hope to do a test run this weekend if the rain holds out. Here's what it looks like mounted on the bike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.