Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been using an air mattress for motorcycle camping and am now considering a camping cot.At the moment the Allagash by Bayer of Maine seems a good choice but before I commit I would like to get some feedback from fellow campers who have some experience with this.BTW I don't have a trailer so compactness is important.Thanks.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

May I inquire as to your dissatisfaction with the pad you are currently using?

The reason I ask is that a cot adds a fair amount of weight , bulk to your already limited packing space on a bike and you will still need some form of insulation beneath you to keep you from getting 'chilled'.

Maybe a better/thicker, yet more compact insulatedsleeping pad might work out for you?

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has experience using one of the Cabelos tent cots: http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71§ion=1185&ID=986

I'd imagine that using a cot inside a tent is a little hard on the tent floor, or?
We bought a couple of cots from S.I.R. that are quite heavy duty and similar to: http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1185&section2=1250&ID=1288 and all the weights rests on six small feet. No problems outdoors, but.......

The tent we bought has a very good floor and I'm reluctant to use cots that might damage it over time.Also,our self-inflating Thermarest Luxury Map sleeping pads are so comfortable that wecan travel without the cots.

Regards,

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has experience using one of the Cabelos tent cots: http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71§ion=1185&ID=986

I'd imagine that using a cot inside a tent is a little hard on the tent floor, or?
Trouble with those Daryl, is besides sleeping in, there's no room.

No room to sit up, change clothes, store clothes/gear etc etc etc.. They also are bulky when packed up. Check out the packed size and weight.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Yeah... I don't really recommend using it. I just got it in case my mother in law came for one of her lengthy visits. :whip:

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Thnx for feedback guys. I had water in the tent a couple of times this last summer (getting sleeping bag wet), and I kind of like the idea of sleeping off the ground. Maybe just using a wide cot in a conventional tent (I have a couple) is a better solution.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Maybe aquality tent is the solution! ;)

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Dusty I really don't have concerns about the status quo.I'm led to believe from different sources that a better night's sleep can be had from using the cot.If so I would switch to a cot,leave the air mattress at home but keep the insul pad.The extra weight would be manageable but the cot will have to pack to a small size.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
Thnx for feedback guys. I had water in the tent a couple of times this last summer (getting sleeping bag wet), and I kind of like the idea of sleeping off the ground. Maybe just using a wide cot in a conventional tent (I have a couple) is a better solution.
Hey Daryl, Dusty will guide you to having a dry tent :)

Yup, a cot can be a good thing, just remember the curve of the tent when you start figuring whether or not it/they will fit without rubbing the sides (ask me how I became an expert in this aspect of camping) and get one (or make special feet) that won't punch holes in the tent floor. Even if you sleep up off the ground, a wet tent floor can be an inconvenient thing.

The tent webought has pretty straight sides for the first couple of feet before curving inward, so the extra space down low will make cots a possibility if we change our minds about being on the ground.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I will be looking into the tent cots this summer. I have tents that range in size from 1 man to a 4 room mansion that also doesn't fit on any pads in the state parks around here. And although I like a tent, and will still use one 50% of the time, The cot tent will come in handy when we just want to stop and put something up quick to sleep in for the night, get up in the morning put it away and off we go. Im sure I would still have a pad under me regardless of Cot Tent sleeping or Tent sleeping.

I have been to the camp grounds and have seen Dusty's set up in action, and I will say hands down, that Dusty has the whole camping thing down to a science, it's actually fascinating to watch and wish I could do as well as he does it someday. But, this fat old guy and his princess wife, just can't sleep on the ground like we use to.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Does anyone make a 2-person cot? (For car-camping)

Wife & I are currently using an air mattress, but it is really painful after even just one night... Can't imagine using it for upcoming 4wk trip to Alaska!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i use the bed at motel 6 its a perfect cot its warm, cozy, and everything you can dream of.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
i use the bed at motel 6 its a perfect cot its warm, cozy, and everything you can dream of.
> Do you think they'll discover it missing?

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I haul a cot and a cot tent. The cot makes for a decent nights sleep. My cot does add an extra 20 lbs to my gear.

I use a self inflating sleeping pad on top of the cot.

Here is Cabala's picture and the link to it.

cot tent this is the link for it.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
Does anyone make a 2-person cot? (For car-camping)

Wife & I are currently using an air mattress, but it is really painful after even just one night... Can't imagine using it for upcoming 4wk trip to Alaska!
They make a double cot tent. I hear that it is just like having two cots side by side.... not a double bed type of deal. Heavy bars in the middle between the two.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.