Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Two little tips that may be useful....

take a few clothes pegs with you, that way, if the weather has been bad and then the sun comes out, or you have washed some clothes,you can peg them out on the guy ropes to dry.

If you are travelling with a tent that has lightweight pegs, take a couple of rock pegs, which look like oversized nails with a T piece welded on. Then if you come across some hard or stoney ground,you can bang these in first to make a hole for the lightweight pegs. If you have enough space and can take the extra weight, change out the pegs that are used for the outer flysheet for rock pegs before you go, and remember to take aclaw hammer, ( so the pegs are easily removed)or look for a rock to hammer in for an emergency job.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

I camp with high school students usually 15-20 days per year in and around Big Bend National Park. These are my observations.

Thermorest makes good stuff, but other brands of self inflating pads can be found cheaper. Also, you may not want a full length pad- a 1/2 or 3/4 size pads most everything that is needed and lets your feet hang over; space saving.

I agree that a tent with a good rainfly is $ well spent. A $19 Walmart tent works great-- except for when you finally hit that big storm with wind. After only one miserable cold night you will regret not having spent the extra $$. REI, Kelty, Northface, and many others..even Coleman make good tents with large rainflies. Make sure that the door has a double zipper or that the zipper closes to the top. In many parks the wildlife (esp. skunks:shock:) have learned to nose open a zipper at the bottom of a tent to enter and look for food.

Pack a sheet of thick plastic sheeting or tarp to place under your tent. It provides a moisture barrier and helps keep down abrasion to the tent floor.

In sleeping bags, I like synthetic filler, but cotton exterior (hard to find in a cold weather bag). With a nylon exterior, the bag slides around the tent if you must pitch the tent on unlevel ground.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
imported post

Hey Duds, 2 cheep sleep'in bags,one for the lady,and a plastic tarp & fish'in rod-who needs more?Besides, I ain't got no saddle bags or trailer (my OLE LADY don't mind)!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I agree with you. We've had a 6 man Eureka since 1989. It's been on about 12 weekend canoe trips, been used about 20 days per summer for at least 15 of those years, and is still one of our tents in use today. A definite favourite. Sure, we've been wet a couple of times, in hurricane-like conditions, but it is a phenomenal product. Highly recommended.document.write('/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/waving.gif');

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I don't trailer and prefer to carry what I need on the bike - it makes packing much more difficult.:cheeky1: I recently returned from a 45 day 14000 mile ride from Florida to Glacier, Denver to the Grand Canyon, Denver to Sturgis and the Badlands, picked up 16 National Park Stamps, and then home. Temps varied from 34F to 108F, rain lasted a week or so on the Grand Canyon leg, and I state/national park camped, renegade camped, hit a KOA or two.

I use a Sierra Designs Tengu 2 2-man tent, a Big Agnes 15F down bag, Big Agnes 25"x78"x2.5" insulated air mattress to get comfy with at night. I use a footprint under the tent to protect the waterproof fabric bottom. The down bag compressed far better than the poly/synthetic ones I found. Down bags are more expensive and if they get wet are a bear to dry out (which is why I carried mine in a waterproof bag inside my left panner). I had some misgivings about an inflatable air pad but it never deflated despite my 6' 220# mass.

The Tengu 2 compresses to about 7"x18" with poles, pegs, and footprint. The BA air mattress compresses to about 6"x10". I've been in some serious deluges (Sturgis 2008 where it blew 50mph+ and rained like water from a fire hose) and the tent never broke or leaked water.

I carried some of the MSR line: Whisperlite stove, BlackLite cook kit, 33oz fuel bottles, MSR coffee filter, and 6L dromedary. The only meal I didn't cook was lunch. The gear performed great. I also had a 450ml coffee cup, lexan cutlery, and a couple of collapsible bowls for meals.

I shopped every couple of days and ended up buying Lipton noodle mix; Uncle Ben's rice mixes, canned tuna, roast beef, and chicken; power bars, and ingredients for gorp. I also bought powdered Gatoraide so I could replenish my electrolytes at night (I mixed it about half of the directions and had good results).

The only gear exposed to the elements was the tent, camera tripod and gear bag. The waterproof REI gear bag contained colored bags so I could keep track of food (green), cooking gear (red), grooming gear (blue) and clothes (2 waterproof bags white in color that doubled as a pillow and a way to know dirty from clean riding gear). The inner bags never got wet despite some horrendous rain storms and high winds. The bag gear bag also doubled as a backrest. I bungeed the external stuff using some 1"x 42" adjustable bungee cords that lasted the entire time.

A number of the campsites were "primitive"; no running water and a dump toilet so having the ability to tote 8L of water to these sites was a nice feature. Some of the best sites were the furthest from the potable water and the dromedary and CamelBak made that pleasant too. I carried a .75L water bottle and a 24oz 2PN container for those late night urges.

I'm sure I could have gone cheaper but I decided that I was more interested in durability, size, and weight. In almost all my decisions I chose the smallest and lightest as long as the ratings were high. None of my gear broke. :shock:

Coupla tips, fwiw:

I carried 2 lengths of parachute cord (the good green stuff) so that I could hang up wet gear or tie the food bad out of reach of the critters.

I wore synthetic underwear exclusively. It washed easily and was usually dry the next morning.

I carried way too much clothing. All I really needed was 1pr. convertible pants, 2 sets underwear, sweatshirt, hat, sneakers, flipflops, and full riding gear. Gear that got washed but didn't dry out by the time I left got bungeed to the gear bag and was usually dry by morning.

I took 2 aspirin each morning after realizing that I'm not as limber as I used to be.

I was amazed how dehydrated I got regardless of temperature. I carried a CamelBak 3L and drank from it throughout the day. At the noon break I'd refill it with ice and water and was good to go for the afternoon. I tried the insulated mug and thermos with hose but the water got very warm and I found myself spitting out the warm water. The CamelBak has an insulated drinking hose and the water stayed much cooler.

I brought a couple of books to read at bedtime. The Black Diamond headlight has a brightness adjustment and I found that on low it was plenty bright. The unit uses 3 AAA batteries and I never came close to replacing the batteries.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I have read this thread with some interest and have to say that almost all my camping gear is not designed for motorcycle traveling...So with that in mind I am going to make a list of the items that have been brought up here and drag my wallet out and re-gear for motorcycle traveling....Orwould mounting a trailer hitch to my Wing be a good idea???? I just got finished putting a light bar I had bought from another member and don't know what type of hitch to use to keep from tearing this light bar apart and starting over........At this point I would either have to build or buy a trailer.... Pulling a trailer would allow me to use what I already have and save my bucks...

Here is my list of camping gear that I now have...My tent is a two room tent...... Wally World special.......takes about 15 minutes with two people to put up.....Coleman two burner stove..uses small propane bottles...I even have the fold up oven for it.......My sleeping bags are old style Coleman bags, not very small bags....But very nice in cold weather.....And of all things I have a Coleman fold up table that will set 4 people of two large people....My folding chairs and then there are the several sizes of coolers...from 12 pack up....I have several AWOL bags to pack clothes into plus all mine and the wife'smedications, and toiletries......This does not include all the other necessary items that one might take, like food......

Everything I had to camp with on a bike has been taken by my two sons and either given away or lost.....Ideas please......

Thanks

Claude

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

You would be really surprised what you can fit in and on the boxes of a Goldwing. Our long vacation last year didn't have any camping, but had everything we might need and somethings we didn't.

This trip to Calhoun was a camping trip and we learned a lot on it. We had a tent that Nancy set up quickly, a queen sized air matress and used sheets and a blanket. Plenty of clothes, a coffee pot, single burner stove, propane lantern, lantern stand, two folding chairs, air pump for the bike and another for the matress, Nancy's Bible, and a roll of T/P.

Oh yeah, tools and a quart of oil. I started to tie the kitchen sink on the back just of giggles.

I'll start working on finishing my trailer and stop feeling like I've got the Titanic between my legs.:cheeky1:

But all jokes aside, my ole 1200 took us and the load down the road all day at 70+ and still gave us 40 mpg.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
imported post

Marcus, I have that same stove. I've had it for years and never had any problem with it.Used it alot before I got a larger bike and didn't have alot of room to carry alot of camping things, space was at a premium. I usually carry it for a spare now, if I need a extra one I just break it out. Great for heating up coffee water in the morning. Doesn't take up much room at all.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
imported post

I have been camping for years. I think one of the best things I take is a 12 x 18 ft tarp along with poles to rig it up along with the thin nylon parachute cord. I bought the grommet rings so that you can add grommets to the middle of the tarp for a longer pole. This works really great if you happen to be caught in the rain. It seems if I'm on my bike in the middle of a area that hasn't had rain in 6 months I will draw the rain. My family calls me the rain maker. They told me to retire and travel to draught areas and charge for rain and I would become a millionaire, so the tarp is a must for me. Also another great thing is those large spring loaded paperclips. They come in really handy better than a clothspin because they are stronger than clothspins. I usually carry a least 12 of these.

Just a couple of other useful things that noone has mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Good ideas. I'm a Goldwing owner now. Just picked up a 2007 GL1800. Rode it back from Kansas City, MO. Love it. Now looking for a trailer to hook up to. Might make one, we'll see. I agree with you about the tarp. Best thing in your bag. Sometimes have slept under it without a tent, given the right conditions. I'm going to use the paperclips. that's a great idea.
Thanks wsmith

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
I have used both down and synthetic bags, and, I respectively disagree about the desirability of down.

The new synthetics are cheaper, nearly as warm, longer lasting, and can be machine washed and dryed.... they have the incomparable advantage of down by virtue of, if they do get wet, they can still keep you warm, and will actually dry on you while you sleep......

Try these:

http://www.wiggys.com/
You can machine wash and dry a down bag (you never, ever want to dry clean a down bag, or let it air dry) and they outlast synthetic bags by a long shot. Use a commerical front load machine with plenty of rinse cycles, and put it in the dryer, low temp, with tennis balls to break up the down. I've been washing my down bag like this every year or two for 20 years and its like new wheneverI pull it out of the dryer.

·
Premium Member
55,657 Posts
imported post

A credit card and a clean motel............

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
imported post

lmao....as far as sleeping bags are concerned if you want something for cold nights then go to a Army surplus store.i have one from my unit when we got the new multi peice ones but they are extreme cold weather sleeping bags.Good for up to -25 degrees.Believe me they work wonders.The new army multi piece bag is sweet as well.Has 3 layers.The outside obviously being the waterproof peice.Warm,but not as warm as the oldie bag

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
The more I look for places to put all this stuff, the more I think Foodman is right:cheeky1:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The Big Dog wrote:
Foodman wrote:
The more I look for places to put all this stuff, the more I think Foodman is right:cheeky1:

Remember .... Less is more The less room you gear takes up, the more room you will have. Leave the kitchen sink at home! :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1:

Look at your assembled 'pile' of kit and remove half of it. Take only the necessities

Clothes - besides what you are wearing, you only need a change of 2 other pairs of pants/tops/undies/socks, for a trip of a couple of weeks or more. There are laundry facilities out there!!!

If you have a trunk rack, an inexpensive trunk rack bag will add much needed space for those riding 2 up. Just remember to pack it with light/bulky items to prevent yourlid from developing cracks from too much weight!(>12lbs)

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

I bought the trunk bag you had on the other thread, I liked it better than the ones I have on my site, (dont tell anyone):cheeky1:
It needs some modifications though, the 1500 trunk seems to be larger than the 1100:D, But we will make it work, and thanks for the info on that, it's a nice bag

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

We rode and camped from FL to CO and back last summer...we used a small 2-person dome tent....folds up small and light..fleece sleeping bags...ok down to 50-55 degrees...and better grade thermorest pads....get the good ones and you will sleep much better...they also roll up small and light....we chose not to cook...just did drinks and snacks at night...did eliminate lots of stuff to carry...carry 2-3 days of clothes, used a 3 season MC jacket with liners etc...did wash at local laundromats....ate at local joints whenever possible...keep it simple...lay out all the stuff you want to take before you load up the bike and be tough about what you really need....a stop at a cheap motel every 3-4th night was a treat...we averaged 100 bucks a day total...probably could have done it for 60-75 if we tried harder...out in the hot midwest...hit macdonalds for their 1 dollar sweet tea....free refills...

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I've been hauling an Aspen camper behind the Yamaha RSV for the past 3 years. Now that I've got a new wing, I've ordered the hitch and wiring so that I can continue with the camper this year and into the future. On the few occassions we still use a tent, I've got down bags from Cabellas and inflatable mattresses. I enjoy being able to walk upright in the morning :cheeky1:

Moose

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

One of the first things I do is replace all of the tie down ropes with white parachute cord. You can see it at night much easier. Less tripping on the ropes that way.

This is similar to the ones we have:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_99872_325002000_325000000_325002000_325-2-0

We zipped 2 together and roll them up like that using a cinch sack. It's about 14-16 inches long and 6-8 inches in diameter.

Very warm in cold weather, and good in hot.

The wife requires a coffee pot for the evening. I just want my 3 cups in the morning. We eat out sometimes, and cook at the campsite others. We normally do sandwiches for lunch.

:3sum::toast:

:12red:

21 - 40 of 82 Posts