Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
-- carry butane lighters instead of matches, several....some on the bike, some on your person, to light your stove, campfires.... Butane lighters don't get wet!
I bought several of these butane torches, one of which lives in my bike's tool kit, along with some solder, electrical tape, a tiny multimeter, and spare wire, for impromptu on-the-road electrical fixes. It's more than capable of soldering wire (in fact, I often use it in the garage when I don't feel like hauling out my soldering gun & extension cords for a quick fix), it's refillable, adjustable, and hot enough to light pretty well anything on fire (or at least melt it).

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

Folding aluminium table.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

I've camped in many parts of the world, I got a mummy bag about 30 years ago, I've still got it. It has a synthetic fill. It packs up small and is really easy to dry if it gets wet. It takes getting used to but as with everything else when you pitch your tent in the dark in an orchard you will eventually get to sleep if you are tired enough, I usually cover my self with my bike jacket for extra warmth.. If you get a decent foam mat, it will be very comfortable. You can kneel on it when doing maintenance on the run, sit on it when you eat your meals on scruffy campground tables and sleep on it at night and it doesn't absorb water. The pad can be got in various lengths, you get used to them and stay put.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

Here is a link to a great little sleeping bag. As you can see it packs light and small. There are some bevy components that make it perfect for the occasional nap stop. I travellight but augment mytravles with an occasional Hotel/Motel respite.

http://shop.navyseals.com/recon-3-sleeping-bag-540.html

I most often camp in primitive sites at State and National Parks most have some sort of rest room/shower/laundry facility which is most helpful.My tent isa Big Agnes Emerald MountainSL3.I love it... Because it is a freestanding tent it goesup in under 5min, I only stake it down for bad weather....Been in a few gully washers and it has never leaked.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/EmeraldMountainSL3

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i have a small 2 man tent takes about 1 minute to set up it just pops up, i carry some inflatable mattresses, your bike has an air pump i carry a small fan that can run on 12 volts or batteries, helps circulate air in the tent, some match lite charcoal only good for starting campfires in my opinion a small fishing pole never know when your going to need it, some steel clothes hangers, marshmellows yummy yummy, bug spray ect keep it light, compact, and small faster to set up, take down and get moving

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Something I just discovered last year is the Bodum Travel Press. Basically an insulated plastic french press that doubles as a coffee mug. Put in a scoop of fresh ground gourmet coffee, fill with boiling water, screw on top, wait 5 minutes, press the rod down, pop the drinking plug open, enjoy. It's rugged, makes a BIG cup of excellent coffee, and only costs $10 at Target.

Another thing I always take is a little cheap Palm PDA loaded with several e books. Much more compact than paper books and can be read in the dark without a flashlight. Makes enough light to find the flashlight after dark. Also does all the regular Palm stuff.

Speaking of flashlights I carry a AA Maglite with LED conversion. Made an aimable holder for it from one of those large spring steel paper clips with a 1/4" nut attached that allows it to be screwed onto the little tripod I carry for the camera.

For charging the flashlight, PDA, camera, netbook, etc., I have 140 watt inverter mounted under the faux tank side panel with a 110 V outlet on the fairing.

Q

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

For any outdoor stuff I always check out the local army surplus store. If its good enough for the british army!!!.
Also gives you good ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Everything I had to camp with on a bike has been taken by my two sons and either given away or lost.....Ideas please......

Thanks

Claude

[/quote]

I feel your pain, mine have absconded with everything..

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

This for 2 people, Colm, or for solo use and is this to use en route to Montrose, with/without a trailer?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
This for 2 people, Colm, or for solo use and is this to use en route to Montrose, with/without a trailer?
One person Dusty, but I prefer a larger tent two or three person, mainly because I'm 6'4 and like a bit of extra room should it rain. No trailer. I was looking at one in Wally World today for $49 with a waterproof cover and fly. I think I'll keep it simple.
http://walmart.ca/search/main?cmd=search&lang= see item 7

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
I've been collecting all ideas from this forum for camping on a long trip with the wing. So far I have my GPS (Garmin Street Pilot c550)

I ordered a custom fit SheepSkin cover for the wing,,,,,,,

Just finished ordering a tent, (Eureka Timberline 4 person 2 door)

Now I need a sleeping bag and some sort of mattress. I want to keep it lite and not bulky. What do you guys use?
Oh shoot, why don't you just go in style...Scooter Schooner

Don't forget the most important thing - A compfy pillow!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

CALEBNDAD wrote:
Oh shoot, why don't you just go in style...Scooter Schooner

Don't forget the most important thing - A compfy pillow!!!!!
Sweet setup.....

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
-- carry butane lighters instead of matches, several....some on the bike, some on your person, to light your stove, campfires.... Butane lighters don't get wet!
I bought several of these butane torches, one of which lives in my bike's tool kit, along with some solder, electrical tape, a tiny multimeter, and spare wire, for impromptu on-the-road electrical fixes. It's more than capable of soldering wire (in fact, I often use it in the garage when I don't feel like hauling out my soldering gun & extension cords for a quick fix), it's refillable, adjustable, and hot enough to light pretty well anything on fire (or at least melt it).
The butain lighter is a great ideal. Much better than matches! I'm big in being prepaired,

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

If you can afford to lay out a grand Honda makes a 2kw generator that weighs maybe 30 pounds. They are very quiet. I am in the process of building a trailer right now. I am a money miser and I like to save on motel bills and I invest my savings into camping equipment. I also carry a small microwave and a portable oven. I also have one of the 12 volt trucker refigerators, but I still have to buy ice daily. If rain is not in the forcast I have a hammock with a cover and mosquito net, but if rain is in the forcast I take time to set up the tent.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

If you are going to camp take a trailer and camp in style. I started off with a two man tent tied to the rack and ended up with a Kyham / Annex and 2 x canopies. Include the double inflatable mattress, double duvet, 4 x pillows and with everything else you have a full trailer but a heck of a comfortable night's sleep.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

We are the same, why rough it when you can camp in luxury. We do.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

I'm not really a camper. So when I do "camp" while on a riding trip, It's just to get a few hrs of shut eye so I can hit the road again in the morning. So, I just lay a foam camping pad beside by bike, on the pavement of a truck stop parking lot and sleep in my Cabala's Snowy Range snowmobile suite. I do carry a cheap Kmart tent and a Walmart sleeping bag with me just in case I decided to hang out in a campground. But I don't use them unless I have to. I just hate pitching a tent and getting a bunch of camping gear out for a few hrs of sleep. If it's raining I sometimes sleep in the trucker's lounge at a truck stop (They've never tried, but I have a CDL so I think it would be pretty hard for them to kick me out. lol)

When I sleep in a parking lot, I choose a place that is well lit, but where I can lay down between my bike and an unmovable object (like a fence) without the light shining directly in my face. And a spot that is as far away from foot and car traffic as I can get, but still lit well.

Not recommending that anyone else do this...just sayin'. No flaming please...just sayin'. :)

41 - 60 of 82 Posts