imported post

hi all my wife & I, are heading to france & italy in june,

and we are thinking about camping,

any ideas on a good TENT.:)

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Go to a Backpacking store like REI, they will have the best selection of quality tents, then you can find cheaper look-a-likes elsewhere if needed.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

I recently bought a Eureka Sunrise 9,,,,,,,,I bought it because I can stand up in it, which is important to me. There has been snow on the ground ever since I got it so I can't say how I like it, but I did set it up and it looks pretty good........

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

Nice tent but watch this video and you can see why poeple are going to turbo tenst....

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/IIjF3hkUb0o&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Imagine having to do this in the dark or muck???

Get a turbo style tent you can have full shelter inminutes even the small ones set up the same as large ones.

MHO

A1

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Not all that familiar with all the offerings on that side of the pond.

I think most campers there seem to like/use a good 'tunnel' tent.

Hilleberg's are a quality tent. Light, fairly compact and very well designed and durable, although a bit pricey.

Whatever you get/are looking at, I'd suggest either 3, or 4 person/berth tent. Anything smaller and you'll be too cramped and being tent bound in a small tent during extended periods of inclement weather is no fun.

This tent could be an exception though, due mainly to it's height and very large vestibule/bike garage. Looks promising. The Ténéré Expedition Tent

I'd also suggest investing in a good tarp and at least one collapsible/adjustable tarp pole, to further expand your 'living space' during inclement weather.

Dusty

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yup, .... that's one way of doing it, John .... but for the expense of just one night in a modest hotel, I can spread the same cost to cover 4 - 7 nights out camping, without 4 confining walls and still have a hot shower before sipping on my coffee, while browsing the forum on my little Acer Aspire. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

;)one thing i rember from camping with my parents--- its never big enough.

but this one for us --works just fine.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Well, I'm gonna stick it out again and say, "for the money, for the utility, and for the practicality, you can't beat a Eureka Four Person Timberline." We've owned the one pictured below for at least a decade now, and it's been in nearly every state and nearly every province in North America. It has paid for itself at least 20 times over....

We bought it for about $140 out of Campmor, and it's still available there for well under a 200 dollar bill. With its optional vestibule, you can put everything, including the kitchen sink (should you have one), inside in a driving downpour.... It has stood up to several howlers, including two, one in Quebec and one in Montana, that flattened about half the tents around us.... we suffered a bent pole once because I thought I was smarter than the tent's design, but I was able to buy a replacement pole, again from Campmor...... We've never had it blow down, and we've never been wet, although we went through a thunderstorm in Branson, Missouri, that had me scanning the horizons for The Ark. We can both stand up, sort of, to pull our pants on, and our camp chairs fit inside so we can read and talk out of the weather. You can pitch it free standing or stake it down. We have a ton of fond memories that were born under that green roof.

It comes in two sizes, two man and four man, but, if you're on a bike, get the four man. The weight won't bother the bike and most bikes can handle the packing. Eureka Four Person Timberline: Our personal Taj Mahal.......

(Personal note to Dusty: That Tenere does look interesting, but at 400 green ones, I can buy two Timberlines for that price! Who needs the bike in the vestibule? We carry an old, beat-up cover that does the same thing.... I'm always looking at tents, though.....)

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yes Mel .... we all know hom much you like your beloved Eureka Timberline 4, but ... if you look at the location of the OP, I'm not sure they sell those over there, :? hence my other recommedations. ;)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Yes Mel   .... we all know hom much you like your beloved Eureka Timberline 4, but  ...  if you look at the location of the OP, I'm not sure they sell those over there, :?   hence my other recommedations.   ;)
Ahhh.....no, I didn't look at the address of the poster....my apologies...... (and I'll quit bragging about my tent so much, even though it's probably the best motorcycle camping tent ever made......)

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I too like the Eureka tents because they pack up quite small and are pretty light weight. When we take the trailer we use a 4 person tent, but when going backpacking or just taking the bike we use a 2 person Bivy Sack from Outdoor Research. My daughter worked there for a couple of years and we got the employee discount.

I like the quick way the turbo tent goes up but it looks a bit on the bulky side in the video. You would need to take a trailer along to use that one. I however just can't turn loose of 400 smackers to buy a tent!!

I have used a light weight tarp and pole like Dusty for years but I was not as good at tying knots as he is. Thanks for the video Dusty, it has made setting up and tearing down quite a bit easier and a lot less stressful for my wife!! :cheesygrin:

Since many of the tents now days are made in China etc I'm sure they should be able to find similar ones in Ireland!!

Henry

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

That's just the thing, Henry.

Large tents are fine and easy to pack along ... IF you are hauling a trailer.

I'd like to see these guys that advocate buying those 6-10 person tents try packing them on a bike, (along with all the other associated camping/cooking gear) with NO trailer!

Haven't seen a one ... nope ... nary a one! :readit:

A 4 person tent would be max, by my experience. :?

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
That's just the thing, Henry. 

Large tents are fine and easy to pack along  ...  IF  you are hauling a trailer.

I'd like to see these guys that advocate buying those 6-10 person tents try packing them on a bike, (along with all the other associated camping/cooking gear) with  NO  trailer!

Haven't seen a one  ...  nope  ...  nary a one!  :readit:  

A 4 person tent would be max, by my experience.  :?

Hey Ken! That's what we carry....a 4 person tent! I absolutely love it! We also don't have a trailer. It works just fine for us! :cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:

Happy biking my friend!! ;)

See you soon in Washington State...Great ride, great people and great times!!
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Red :waving:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Hmmmm, Mel, you right sure about that? I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once, and they claimed they had the best night's stay. :)
Well, I ain't rich like you, AZ, and we all have to make do......

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Besides, I can't get to sleep in a mote; I lay awake imagining all the things that might have gone on in that bed! I know what's gone on in my sleeping bag, but that bed?

Lol.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.