Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As you know, I've been working up a camp trailer for my Honda ST1300. I've never been a motorcycle trailer sort of person, and I've always felt that a trailer wasn't "real motorcycling" in a way, a foolish and prejudicial position as it turns out. But I bought my first real motorcycle 45 years ago last April, and I'll be seventy come spring... I have to face the fact that tent camping -- a way of traveling that Red and I absolutely love -- may not be in my future too much longer. Need a little more luxury for my aging bones, I guess, and I think we've found it!

We chose a very safe trip for our trailer shakedown, a camping destination about 75 miles away, with good camp spots and great roads to ride. A little nervous, we hooked up and headed out..... and I'm now a convert!

We were astounded by how easy the trailer was to tow, both in heat and in heavy winds (up to 30mph on all points of "sail"), and how easy it was to adapt to it. I believe that if anything, towing a trailer makes you a better rider: you must anticipate more and choose your cornering lines more carefully. You're aware of it back there, but not in a bad way; it's still motorcycling, it's still fun....

And the wind! We live in wind country; our county is laced through with wind farms, and I admit that towing the thing in the wind was my biggest worry....but no longer! If anything, the trailer steadies the bike in the wind. It's phenomenal how well it rides back there. Seriously.....

We roll right along at freeway speeds if we want, and I hauled the Vantage grade (Washington riders know what I'm talking about.....) at 65mph in our highest gear at 93* Farenheit, with no problems whatsoever..... And friends, let me tell you about that Queen-Sized bed! Oh, the luxury! And getting up to pee is no longer an issue! (are you listening, Foodman?)

(Our rig: I worried about the tilt-up on the trailer, but it rides so nice, I ain't gonna worry no more!)

(here it is, our Taj Mahal, set up on the banks of Soap Lake, Washington)

(Have you done this ride? From Soap Lake to Grand Coulee? Great road!)

(more.....)

(Back in camp... the guy behind us might have a fancier RV than we do, but he doesn't have a finer wife than I got...couldn't! A Queen in a tent is worth a thousand Harpies in a Palace!)

(coming on night, a good night in a good place....)

(decadent, ain't we...... Steve McQueen would be so ashamed of me! Lol....)

(watching a golden sunset......)

(The view out my "bedroom" window! With screened windows unzipped, and with a cool breeze wafting over your face from the lake, pure heaven......and baby, let me tell you about that Queen-sized bed! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!)

(Good morning! All we need for breakfast: pressed coffee, instant oatmeal fortified with almonds and raisins. I think the secret of successful towing is to not fill up your trailer with tons of unneeded crap.... we plan on going almost "backpack light," and to keep things as simple as possible......our gear will live in the trailer, so all we have to do is hook up and go!)

And so there you have it....our shakedown cruise was a success....our Aspen Sentry and Denray trailer hitch are now adopted members of our family, and we are trailerers! I think this thing will add years (at least 10, I hope, to our camping life.... If you're on the edge, thinking about a trailer, go for it baby! It ain't bad, ain't bad at all.......

·
Premium Member
12,056 Posts
imported post

CJ you and red done good. Love your (and Reds) pics.
and stories.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Beautiful pictures!
Glad the trailer/camper thing is going to work for you.

I bought my 1st (motorcycle) trailer in 1977 and have always said that it was the "best $250 I have ever spent". The trailers now are bigger and smoother (larger tires), but way more than $250!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Looks great! Very happy to hear that it worked out for you.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

"decadent, ain't we...... Steve McQueen would be so ashamed of me! Lol...."

Steve McQueen's got nothing on you CJ, Nothing!

I am Absolutely speechless....... The pictures speak for themselves, I love it.

You make it look so easy, so alluring....... I applaud you..:claps::claps:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

sounds like your liking it a whole lot there cj.

i know my dad didnt think he would have used his camper trailer that much when he 1st bought it but now he looks back and just cant see how he would do with out it

no need to pitch a tent, say high and dry even in bad weather, carry supplies and gear alot easier and you can even leave it at the campsite and take the bike and go tour around a bit with out having to pack up everything

i gave him a grade 8 chain from work he chains the wheel and lockes the hitch

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Great to hear it’s working out for you! Keeping it simple is a great plan especially if you are riding out every day. Great pics! That must be a plastic coffee press…??

We sure have enjoyed our pop-up trailer. We just got back from a two week and 3,000 mile trip. We have not kept it backback simple. Last fall, while camping near Crater Lake, a BMW group was camping near us. One of them made the comment that we had every thing but the kitchen sink. We really enjoy the camping and camp cooking we get to do. Breaking camp gets more time consuming with more gear. We usually stay an average of two nights per destination.

BTW…we have plastic tub that we use for a sink now. LOL

Working For Gumbo

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

clpete wrote:
Great to hear it’s working out for you! Keeping it simple is a great plan especially if you are riding out every day. Great pics! That must be a plastic coffee press…??

No, not plastic....we had a plastic one, but Red wanted one bigger, and this one is heavy glass! Don't know how long it'll last, but we wrap it thoroughly in bubble-wrap, and store it carefully! We'll see! Aren't those presses amazing? Red buys her beans at Super One, something called "Chocolate Velvet," and grinds them coarse..... Best damn coffee I've ever tasted, anywhere! And nothing tops off a camp/bike trip like good coffee. Starbucks ain't got nothin' over my Red!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
"decadent, ain't we...... Steve McQueen would be so ashamed of me! Lol...."

Steve McQueen's got nothing on you CJ, Nothing!

I am Absolutely speechless....... The pictures speak for themselves, I love it.

You make it look so easy, so alluring.......  I applaud you..:claps::claps:
Thanks, buddy! But it is easy! And alluring! C'out here and visit us....Red and I'll take you trailer-camping!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Red buys her beans at Super One, something called "Chocolate Velvet," and grinds them coarse..... Best damn coffee I've ever tasted, anywhere! And nothing tops off a camp/bike trip like good coffee. Starbucks ain't got nothin' over my Red!
Thats what I should have sent you, Coffee!! It was insensitive to send the wine, and I apologize for that.........

I should have sent ya some coffee, Can't say it's as good as Red's Chocolate Velvet, which sound great, But our roaster does a great job on some of our coffees.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

That is a great set up, I like it..And it looks great behind the bike..I'm taking my bike and trailer fishing this weekend to the Texas Coast, some really good fishing down there, I'm working on mounting two fishing poles, one on each side of the trailer, it should look like two antenna's on the back of the trailer..Big Pole, Big Fish..awesome trailer wanta trade...:waving:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
Red buys her beans at Super One, something called "Chocolate Velvet," and grinds them coarse..... Best damn coffee I've ever tasted, anywhere! And nothing tops off a camp/bike trip like good coffee. Starbucks ain't got nothin' over my Red!
Thats what I should have sent you, Coffee!!  It was insensitive to send the wine, and I apologize for that.........

I should have sent ya some coffee, Can't say it's as good as Red's Chocolate Velvet, which sound great, But our roaster does a great job on some of our coffees.
It was not insensitive to send the wine! Don't you dare apologize! I had a great time raffling off the other pens,; I'll wear the one I kept with pride; and someday, Red and I will serve your fine wine to someone we care about....maybe even you and yours! Seriously, I thought it a great gesture.....

(p.s. I'm as addicted to coffee as I am to alcohol! Lol..... I'm afraid someday I'll just jitter to death! Are you in the restaurant business, jobe05?)

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
clpete wrote:
No, not plastic....we had a plastic one, but Red wanted one bigger, and this one is heavy glass! Don't know how long it'll last, but we wrap it thoroughly in bubble-wrap, and store it carefully! We'll see! Aren't those presses amazing? Red buys her beans at Super One, something called "Chocolate Velvet," and grinds them coarse..... Best damn coffee I've ever tasted, anywhere! And nothing tops off a camp/bike trip like good coffee. Starbucks ain't got nothin' over my Red!
When it does break, search out one of these. I'm really pleased with mine. Enough so that I use it at home all the time.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=77823&CatID=77823&Grptyp=PRD&ItemId=1a06b24&sisearchengine=182&siproduct=Google&cm_mmc=ShoppingFeed-_-Google-_-Kitchen%20And%20Dining-_-Thermos%20Stainless%20Steel%20Coffee%20Press&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=778231a06b24

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
clpete wrote:
When it does break, search out one of these. I'm really pleased with mine. Enough so that I use it at home all the time.
We bought a glass one for this last trip and found it broken when we got it out of the package. Kinda decided at that point to get a plastic one, but that stainless one may be just the ticket.

We ended up dropping grounds tied up in a paper towel in a pot. Not that good but it worked and better than Folgers coffee in a tea bag that I used in the past. Gotta have my coffee.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

CJ and Red, in another post you guys mentioned moving in with Lois and me. With country like you have; we're moving in with you guys!!!!!!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote
Are you in the restaurant business, jobe05?)
We own several businesses dealing with Restaurants. One is Fire suppression / Extinguisher service company. The other is a night time service company cleaning hoods in restaurants which we just sold but still operate the company for another 6 years. And finally we own a coffee house. But not just a plain Jane coffee house. The name is Nana's House. We cater to the local schools in the area and donate 25% back to them. We have coffee, Ice Cream, Smoothies, shakes, pastries and a full movie theater set up in the back room. the shop use to be an antique shop when we purchased it back in March, we don't sell antiques but kept them all around to make the atmosphere of "Nana's House". We have several rooms, Nana's living room (Wi-Fi area), The front Porch, were we hire high school students to come down and pain a mural of a farm scene on our wall, Nana's Kitchen, Nana's Seasonal room then Nana's Theater. We purchased the old pop corn machine from a local drive in theater that closed and everyone loved the pop corn, so we keep the pop corn and movie's free. The neighborhood kids absolutely love us and they get spoiled rotten (By Papa (me)). The place is awesome and we love it......... someday it may even make money...... right now it drains us, but it's so much fun, we don't care.

Our slogan is

Nana's House.......

Where Memories are Made..........

And Kids are Spoiled.........

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
CJ and Red, in another post you guys mentioned moving in with Lois and me.  With country like you have; we're moving in with you guys!!!!!!

Dubs

Dubswing!!! We would love to have you and Lois move in. We will even have room in our new garage for your bike!! :thumbsup:

The only thing is, the camp trailer you found for us.....it is only big enough for the two of us. Therefore you will have to find another one for you and Lois! :cheesygrin:

We do live in a great part of the country! Perfect places to ride. We have found in our travels, that there are great roads everywhere!!!

Red :waving:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.