Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change my timing belts. After lining up the crankshaft with its mark I found the left side camshaft off by one tooth. It needs to rotate one tooth up (counter clockwise) to be in alignment.

With the belts off and being careful of the springs, is it OK to rotate just that camshaft one tooth and then replace the belts?

What if any issues would this have been causing? I've owned this bike since 04 and the cover hasn't been off the bike.

Thanks

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
No, it won't hurt anything to rotate the cam one tooth. You might find out what it caused when you get it running. Might need to resynch the carbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remembered I have a Clymer. Apparently it's OK to turn the camshaft.

Still don't know if it being on one tooth has been causing any issues.
No, it won't hurt anything to rotate the cam one tooth. You might find out what it caused when you get it running. Might need to resynch the carbs.
Thanks. Just found your comment.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Getting ready to change my timing belts. After lining up the crankshaft with its mark I found the left side camshaft off by one tooth. It needs to rotate one tooth up (counter clockwise) to be in alignment.

With the belts off and being careful of the springs, is it OK to rotate just that camshaft one tooth and then replace the belts?

What if any issues would this have been causing? I've owned this bike since 04 and the cover hasn't been off the bike.

Thanks
When you say left side is that as you are sitting on the bike or looking at the front of the engine?

Guess it really doesn't matter. By being off a single tooth will change the character of the engine. It will increase bottom or top end power for 3 cylinders. That is for a 6 cylinder. It would be 2 cylinders if you have a a 4 cylinder bike. You should post what bike you own. It is never a good thing. If one side is making more low end power it has to drag the other side along. Then when it gets up in RPM things reverse and the original side is being dragged along. When all is correct they all pull the same at all RPM in theory. Kind of like horses on a stage coach. Best when they all work together. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say left side is that as you are sitting on the bike or looking at the front of the engine?

Guess it really doesn't matter. By being off a single tooth will change the character of the engine. It will increase bottom or top end power for 3 cylinders. That is for a 6 cylinder. It would be 2 cylinders if you have a a 4 cylinder bike. You should post what bike you own. It is never a good thing. If one side is making more low end power it has to drag the other side along. Then when it gets up in RPM things reverse and the original side is being dragged along. When all is correct they all pull the same at all RPM in theory. Kind of like horses on a stage coach. Best when they all work together. :)
It's a 1500.
Sitting on the bike.
Left side camshaft is off one tooth. It needs to rotate counter clockwise one tooth to be lined up.
My plan is to line it up and put the new belts on.

Do you see a problem with that?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
1500 will stay where you put it unlike 1000/1100/1200/

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
It's a 1500.
Sitting on the bike.
Left side camshaft is off one tooth. It needs to rotate counter clockwise one tooth to be lined up.
My plan is to line it up and put the new belts on.

Do you see a problem with that?
As Dave mentioned earlier a few "teeth" one way or the other there is no issue. If you rotated it a quarter or half a turn then maybe.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
Hmmm. How many teeth in a few? 2 or more? Bang there goes your valves.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Not a problem to get it RIGHT ON the marks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts