Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's my first time doing heads on a GL so I have to ask about details....it's been said in workshop manual that it's needed to seal the camshaft holder-to-head contact surface with some liquid sealer (as there is no classic gasket to put there) during assembly. I understand this is because the oil under pressure, which lubricates camshaft, goes through the same holes where the screws are so to prevent leakage of oil. However, I wouldn't like to use any silicone here because of well known reasons (a piece of silicone getting loosened inside lubrication system) so I don't know what else could I use? Would some spray on gasket do the job? Something else? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i would think that the spray on gasket would work . a light coating , that is all that would be required . both surfaces are machined surfaces.
on a other note--- how did the wather pump rebuild come out ?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:waving:
The pump is like it came from factory! I just replaced the bearings and axial seal on your pump and of course washed and cleaned everything so now it's all shiny and runs nice and smooth, at least when tested by hand. I've put it back in its case and now I am about to finally reassemble the heads (they are off since Summer 2010th) so when that's done I will put the front case and other back to the bike and possibly be back on road I hope....will send you the pics when it's done, as I promised! Thanks again!

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

When sealing between two machined surfaces, anaerobic sealer is the choice. Loctite 510 or 515.

JD

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Alex I just read the service manual myself and see where they instruct to use a sealer . Here is what I think they would use for this :OEM Honda Hondabondit can be found on ebay also . I would not use much .

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
When sealing between two machined surfaces, anaerobic sealer is the choice. Loctite 510 or 515.

JD
That or Hermatite equivalent are popular here.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'm a little phobic about all these silicone based sealants, as there is always a possibility of a piece of excessive sealant, extruded inside the engine, to get loosened sometime and go into lubrication system, plugging some passage and giving an infarct to the engine. On the other side, Loctite says their anaerobic sealants will never get hardened when they get extruded somewhere inside the engine but they will remain liquid so oil will wash the excessive sealant away. However, can you be sure about that....there were some cases, even on this Forum, where silicone screwed up some engines....so maybe I'm paranoid but I would still prefer some spray-on gasket as there is just a thin layer on the surfaces and no excessive sealant inside the engine. For example Loctite 3020? It's designed to be used on paper gaskets to improve them but I believe it would do the job on well machined metal to metal as well? Now, if I use silicone after all, probably the best choice would be this OEM Honda one, as OnaWingandaPrayer said, but again it's a silicone....I can't understand couldn't they make a paper gasket as on any other joint and spare the riders from these doubts! Thanks for replies chaps!

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

You are not going to coat the entire surface of the parts to be mated. One small bead midway between outer and inner surface is all that is required.

Test for yourself. Apply the bead, torque it down and then remove. You will see exactly how much it spreads.:)

JD

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

And how about Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket?
Looks nice to me, you just apply a thin layer of it with a brush. Maybe it could be used to coat the head gaskets as well (as I don't have OEM but aftermarket ones)?
Another good thing is that it is available over here in shops.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
imported post

No "fancy" sealers needed here, just a very thin smear of moly assembly grease will do the trick..

Carsh :ssshh:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Carshandco wrote:
No "fancy" sealers needed here, just a very thin smear of moly assembly grease will do the trick..

Carsh  :ssshh:
You think some grease with molybdenum disulfide (MoS2)? Oil will not dissolve it with time and start leaking around? I would be very happy to use that as it is some 5 times cheaper than anaerobic seals and I must have it for valve guides and head screws any way!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Isn't there a small groove for the sealant to be put into?
Honda bond is the best, and oil will not swell it either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.