Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Is there any way of reducing the power output of the 1500SE? Is there a kit available or can they be adjusted through the engine management system - if they have one that is!

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

If you mean a restricter kit then I think there is one available in the UK. I remember reading something about it months ago so I'll look it up later on.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I remember seeing a flyer about this ages ago and I think there was a kit for the GL1500 all right. I'll try and root it out of all the junk.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks Joe, Paul. Get back to me as soon as ye can - i'm desperate to get my hands on a kit. I'll follow up on your suggestion on Monday Willie. Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

MisterEd wrote:
Someone please explain to mewhy anyone would want to reduce the power of their Goldwing?
It's to do with the 33hp restriction for riders that have just passed their riding test. It's big business in the UK and Ireland, supplying big bikes that are legally restricted. Once the probation period is over the bike can be un-restricted.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

Was just wondering if anyone had anymore info regarding the restrictor kits for GL1500's.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

I checked this out with several companies. Bad news I'm afraid, there is no kit available for the GL1500 or GL1800. There were kits for the GL1000 & 1100 and even the 1200, but nothing for the later Wings.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

You dont say what country you are in ,but if it is an EEC country then here is a bit of info that I am sure one of the GURUS can clarify ..I could be wrong on this one ,but it was a traffic cop who told me ,,,The 1500 does not need a restictor kit ,because of the power to weight ratio it keeps it below the regulations ,,,if it was a lighter bike with a 1500 engine it gives it more horse power ,,but because of the weight of the 1500 it reduces the bhp ,,I could be wrong ,but the guy seemed to know his stuff and the law ...cheers Ciaran:waving::waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It sure is easier over here, buy the biggest, most powerful bike you can find, go to DMV pay your fee for a permit, take a simple multiple choice quiz and then hit the road to sink or swim. In Washington State you can only keep the permit 90 days but can renew if necessary, in California you can stay on a learner's permit your whole life. Basically in Washington the only restrictions are no night riding, no passenger. I kinda like the Darwin approach to learning to ride, at least for adults. Of course you can do the same thing with ultra light aircraft here too, buy one and learn to fly it Wright Brother style. Darwinian selection is a bit harsher on that one though, but it's perfectly legal as it ought to be. Men (meaning mankind) should be able to commit any folly that doesn't injure someone else.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Horsepower is a function of how far teh throttle is twisted open, how about a throttle block? Sounds a bit simplistic, but it works. dont know if the powers that be would accept that method?

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
You dont say what country you are in ,but if it is an EEC country then here is a bit of info that I am sure one of the GURUS can clarify ..I could be wrong on this one ,but it was a traffic cop who told me ,,,The 1500 does not need a restictor kit ,because of the power to weight ratio it keeps it below the regulations ,,,if it was a lighter bike with a 1500 engine it gives it more horse power ,,but because of the weight of the 1500 it reduces the bhp ,,I could be wrong ,but the guy seemed to know his stuff and the law ...cheers Ciaran:waving::waving:
I seem to recall we had this one before, the PTW of the GL1500. I can't remember the outcome or even where the topic is, maybe Redwing will find it for us. :D

G

·
imported post

My neighbour told me today about this restriction scenario. :crying:If you live within the E.U. all M/Cycle Provisional Licences issued after 17th Dec.. '99 are :stumped: restricted to 25kw :clapper:and continue to be restricted for a further two years after been successful in your m/cycle driving test.:whip: All Provisional m/cycle Licences issued before this date have no restrictions applied. :weightlifter:If the m/cycle can not be restricted, :stumped:and you are the holder of a restricted licence, by law you are not entitled to drive it. :whip: Thats what my neighbour says anyway. :skipping:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Back early from Bingo Redwing? You must have lost your shirt to the old bags playing with you, to be back home so early! :p

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

But is that not for an A1 licence ,,I have been trying to dig up the info on it ,,but all I can find is that you have to have an A1 for 2 years before you can apply for an A licence ,,but if you are over 25 you can apply for an A licence without having the A1 first and I think there is also a difference in the KW ..I will try and find out and let you know ,,,

REDWING ,,,what happened to 2 little ducks 22, tonight ?:p:pCIARAN

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Just sussed the info ,,A1 is up to 11kw and A is up to 25kw for 2 years after passing your driving test,,,,And after the 2 years it is unlimited ,,,So more or less what REDWING said ,,,maybe we could make him a bingo guru ,,Ciaran:waving:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I can tell you that there is more than a few guys that I know riding unrestrictedbig bikes (including Wings) on provisionals. I wonder how they get away with it? :?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

whatever about a wing I think you will find that most young sports bike owners are riding on provisional licences

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.