Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

The bike I'm thinking about it a '79 GL1100 and it has a very cloudy or foggy wind shield. Is it called a wind shield on a motorcycle? Anyway, it's plastic of course and it certainly wouldn't be safe to try to drive it like that because it looks like it's extremely fogged up to the point that you can't see through it, even though it's dry. Can anything be done for it?

I've used an acrylic type product called Newglass 2 to "wax" houseboats and it has taken them from dull and flat to shiny enough you can see yourself. Could it help to clear up that windshield too?

Thanks for any help!

David

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!! First off you could try something that is used to remove the fog from car headlights. On my 1100 i used a product called PlastX, worked well to remove the haze. But it is not a permanent solution so replacement should also be considered as they can be found for under 100 bucks.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
imported post

I have found that a good grade of auto past wax will help a lot. Apply it in the normal way. Only helps, does not cure the problem, replacement is the only cure.
Welcome to the forum, lots of good info to be found here.Radioman
:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

While a polish up can make it look and work better during the day night riding may be a problem with swirls showing fromon-coming headlights. Straight up and down polishing may help but a new screen is the answer.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Try semi chrome. Most cycle shops has it--comes in a tube like tooth paste. Rub on small portion and let dry and use clean cotton cloth to wipe. Do process several times. Will take out a good portion of cob webbing. Like others say---a new wind shield may be needed

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I bought a 82 from a barn that someone looked like they had dragged a rake across it. I was sure i would have to buy a windshield. Local moto shop talked me into trying this.

Slipstreamer-Motorcycle-Windscreen-Scratch-Remover found it for about 9 bucks a bottle

Used it with a mothers powerball on a drill and the windshield looks like new. I have a very slight scratch left and it was at least 1/16th inch deep but the foggyness and all went away.

Edited: to remove link

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

i tried to do my 1500 from cloudy to clear and failed as the products to do that job in the uk are wery few and far between mine was, i must admit was a gonner and was not salvagable but i tried but no avail and replaced the whole thing lot of effort no gain for me, the products were ok to remove scratches and i smoothed the surface to a mirror finish but try as i might i could not remove the the cloudyness

bespoke scratch remover, plastx compound polisher, polish and even tcut all i did was produce a realy smooth finish

but still could not see through the screen
andy

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

i've had excelent results from using mequires swirl remover and armstrong tools,. ( hands):action: and buff the heck out of it first. then use a good paste wax. if that doesn't make it look like new, i'd say its time for a call to clearshields. they make a nice shield. make sure you clean both sides too

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Hope you find what you're looking for, I've tried several products on my '83 Aspy and they either don't work or work only temperarily, I see a new windshield in my near future. @Scotte, thanks for the link

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

I worked in the exhibit industry for 5 years. Go to a plexiglass seller. They have some good stuff. We used some stuff on outside displays they sold that made the plex like new. one bottle is for cleaning the other for polish. sorry can't remember the name.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.