Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I may be replacing my Toyota Camry with a Toyota Corolla. I have a trailer on which I haul my Wing. Does anyone know if the Corolla can pull the trailer with my Gold Wing? It's a fairly heavy trailer (custom made for this purpose, very well constructed).

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I dont think there 9is a deffinet answer for your question.. A Toyota Corrola was made to handle 4 adults and be able to drive efficiently not fast or powerfull. It is a small sedan,

avg eight per person 200lbs x 4= 800 lbs
luggage 200 lbs
now you are up to 1000lbs loaded weight.
thats your wing not including the trailer.
With respectful driving habbits and good maintanance, I dont see the tranny or motor damaging, what I would worry about is the rear suspension having to deal with all that weight, also the brakes on a corolla may not be able to handle such a load.

Why would you want to trailer a wing????

I bet you could tow that camry with the wing.
Hope you find your info , but in IMO i wouldnt force the car unless it is a rare blue mon typoe of situation where you get stuck and have no alternative.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I used to tow a small (700 lb) sailboat with a Datsun 510. Add for the trailer and it would be about 1000 lb. Never had a problem but they were tows of a few hundred miles.

What does your manual say?

A friend towed a race boat trailer with an 1800cc Toyota. All up weight was probably about a ton.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The Toyota website lists the Corolla's towing capacity at a mere 1500 pounds. That's less than a ton. This is a good indicator of the braking system and structural capacity of the car.

Is the trailer a flyweight? Doesn't sound like it.

How about dropping down to a Yaris and having the Goldwing tow the car instead???

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

Hell i just cant see someone towing a goldwing with a car not much bigger then the bike lol.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I think the REAL question is..... Will the Goldwing pull the Trailer with the Corrolla on it!!!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

holy cow pulling a goldwing with a corolla! thats asking a lot from a car with a 1.8 liter engine.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

Don't forget to include the hills you might be going up (and down). If the trailer is only used for the Wing, you might consider trading for a lighter one.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

We towed our wing from here to Orlando (1500 miles) & back 4 years ago with a 01 Corolla with 80,000 miles on it, through the mountains with snow, no problem, driving was a little slower & cautious than normal & got passed a lot. :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the advice. Some of the posts made me laugh. The Corolla is a 2009 model. I don't have it yet so have no manual to look at for hauling capacity. I'll have to get a manual and see what that capacity is. I'd probably install electric brakes, which should satisfy the braking issue. I'll also go visit the company that built the trailer to see what they think. I think this will work. I should say tht this would be longer but rare trips. Maybe once a year at most, probably a few hundred kilometres every couple of years. Further advice and comments appreciated. The trailer is heavy, however. It's real hard to move around on my own.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

MoneyGuy, I don't know what your trailer weights but my steel framed trailer was 600 pounds. I towed my wing to Texas one winter with my wife's 2.4 liter CRV, it's towing capacity was rated at 1500 pounds, so with 1800 I was at the recommended maximum.

The CRV did fine on level ground in good weather but it struggled on hills and in high winds. We took the CRV because we thought we would save money on gas, but even pulling the trailer a below the speed limit, into the wind it only got about 14 MPG.

I'm sure a Corolla would pull your wing, but the combined wieght of the trailer and bike could easily be at, or over, the cars rated capcity. I would be concerned about traveling long distances and long term effect on the car.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

MoneyGuy wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Some of the posts made me laugh. The Corolla is a 2009 model. I don't have it yet so have no manual to look at for hauling capacity. I'll have to get a manual and see what that capacity is. I'd probably install electric brakes, which should satisfy the braking issue. I'll also go visit the company that built the trailer to see what they think. I think this will work. I should say tht this would be longer but rare trips. Maybe once a year at most, probably a few hundred kilometres every couple of years. Further advice and comments appreciated. The trailer is heavy, however. It's real hard to move around on my own.
One of us did that for you already - and went to Toyota's website - and got the hauling capacity for the 2009 Corolla. 1,500.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

the heack with the trailer, put the wing inside the Corolla

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i would'nt think twice about pulling a goldwing on a trailer with a camry, i would just do it, i used to pull my 1100 with a much smaller car, not long ago i used to pull my 16'6 caravan with a small french car, a puegot 306 1.9ltr diesel with no turbo, and just recently a gm astra 1.6ltr never had a problem,

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Would the engine on the Wing be bigger than the Corolla?? hahaha

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

That corolla would make a splendid side car:action:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status