Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

With my better half prodding me along, I decided to rent a Spyder today. Picked it up early this morning in Conway, NH and ran it up Rte. 16 to Errol, NH and then back. I've never felt comfortable with my wife on the back of the Goldwing and she would like to ride with me and my son more often, so we gave the Spyder a try.

It was comfortable for me, but half way through the day, my wife complained of a sore butt, saying the seat is too hard. Power wise, it seemed to strain a bit going up some of the hills, but I really didn't wind it up. Cruising along in fifth gear on level ground at 55 mph it rev'd around 4000 rpm. The steering and handling were the big issues. At slow speeds, unlike the Goldwing, it handles very well and it should with it's three wheel stance, but while cruising along the ride seemed mushy. The biggest problem I had was with steering through curves. Unlike a two wheel motorcycle where with counter-steering the bike will lean into the curve, the Spyder wants to lean the other way. I had to either slow way down or lean my body as far as I could into the direction of the turn. At times i felt like I was leaning over the shoulder of the road. As the road we traveled paralleled the Androscoggin River with it's numerous twists and cuvres, it sure kept me attentive! After returning the Spyder to the dealer, it felt good to get back into the Miata (the "Quad") for the return ride home. That thing really sticks to the road, as if the tires were made with chewing gum. I may have to find a way to mount a CB in it to communicate with my son.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Sounds like, that in spite of its differences, you had a good time and got to try something new.

Glad you had a good time.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

I've ridden the first sport models during demo events, but not the larger one with all the gear. Ya' gotta like ATVs to like Spyders. Once you get used to it, they are a blast!

Keep in mind that they are based upon the Aprillia 1000 sport bike, with 6th gear replaced with reverse, and they weight a lot more than the average bike. The two wheels in front mean a lot more steering pressure, but more stability at the same time. It has ABS, variable rate power steeringand a tip-over sensor to keep it on the ground in case things go wrong in a turn.

As for the seat, Corbin has a solution for you should you buy.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

JLBC ... nice writeup on the Spyder ... but the Wing looks better :) ... can you tell me what windshield you have on your Aspy?

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

jpelmer wrote:
JLBC ... nice writeup on the Spyder ... but the Wing looks better :) ... can you tell me what windshield you have on your Aspy?
The windshield is a Windbender from Firecreek Accessories. I prefer to look over a windshield and not through it. I mounted this one all the up on the slots on the Aspy. It gets secured down tight and you use lose the built-in adjustment that you would normally have, but there are four adjustment slots on the Windbender. Each slot is an inch apart allowing for 4" of vertical adjustment. They make an electric adjuster, but I don't think it's worth the investment. I have it set here one notch above the lowest setting. It's very easy to adjust up and down, you just can't do it while you are moving.

I have another 1500 SE that I just recently bought and it has a stock windshield. I may have to get another Windbender or swap it off with this one which my son (pictured here) has been using. He doesn't seem to care either way, or at least that's what he tells me.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

After testing out the Spyder, my wife asked where we could rent out a Goldwing trike for a day long test drive. Does anyone know?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have sat on, but never ridden a Spyder. It was the first gen sport model. It actually felt like something that would be fun, for a while, but it's riding position was all wrong. It had the low forward bars and rearset pegs like a sportbike, not my kind of ride. I also had a quad for a couple of years, just couldn't get used to it. I wound up selling it. I'm glad I kept my dual sport bike.

Yes I do own a Ninja 500, but it is for short trips only. I live near an almost perfect sportbike road, about 100 miles long, that goes up into the mountains. On weekends you will see hundreds of bikes of all types on it. Unfortunately, in an effort to make money for the state, it has become infested with cops. I ride the hundred miles up, sometimes stop for a break about halfway, then ride the rest of the way up, take a long break, and ride back. That's about all I can handle. It's fun, but I feel it the next day. I would not want to spend a lot of $$$ on such a bike.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Didn't mean to hijack the thread ... thanks on the Windbender.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

jlbc212 wrote:
, it felt good to get back into the Miata (the "Quad") for the return ride home. That thing really sticks to the road, as if the tires were made with chewing gum. I may have to find a way to mount a CB in it to communicate with my son.
My wife has the same (Quad) 2000 Miata Millenium Edition, this what we use for communicating, takes no space & easy to use with a magnetic antenna

Hand Held CB :waving:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

Apparently, they are impossible to flip. That being said, it made me very nervous when I rode one. You can really feel the crown of the rode. I brought it back early, much to the amusement of the shop owner. I've ridden a couple of trikes... same thing. It prolly just takes some getting used to it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

They are snowmobiles with wheels. Sounds like handling characteristics are like a snowmobile as well. I'll stick to two wheels for know. I have a snowmobile for winter fun.

If you really put a picture of a newer Ski Doo snowmobile next to one the only real difference is the tires vs ski's. The new 1200ccsnowmobiles arerunninga Rotex 4-Tech engines in them.

Not sure what Rotex engine they have in the Spyders but there can't be much difference in them and the snowmobile engine.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

My brother owns one, an early model. Doesn't use it all that much and I've had a couple of rides on it. The Spyder feels odd to ride at first, sitting on rather than in it. But I got used to it and the experience doesn't scare me as much now.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Think I would rather own a "T" bucket roadster and they even cost less.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

norton wrote:
How much does it cost to rent for a day?
It cost $235. It was worth it to me to find out if it's worth the investment. I would do the same with a Goldwing trike, if I could find one to rent. The test trip we took the Spyder on (Rte 16 in NH between Conway & Errol - besides following along the curvy Androscoggin River, it also cuts through Pinkham Notch between Mt. Washington and Wildcat Mountain) is filled with curves and hills. The Spyder demanded all my attention to keep it on the road and in lane. And while some claim it may be impossible to flip, it sure doesn't give you that feeling of hugging the road like the Miata or the two-wheel Goldwing. Unlike Goldwings, the Spyder RT hasn't been on the market long enough to have good, used ones for sale at reasonable prices. I bought the 2007 Miata last year. It was in showroom condition and cost considerably less than a new Spyder or Goldwing. It doesn't make sense. The Miata seems to be a much, much better value. But it's not a motorcycle and now I know neither is a Spyder. I haven't found anything as comfortable or enjoyable as a Goldwing. I just don't feel totally at ease on it riding two up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.