Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I guess, and this is only a guess, the reason it no longer stops fuel flow is because the rubber is drying out and no longer as pliable as when new. I think if I could find a paper-thin sheet of fuel resistant rubber, I could cut it to fit and add some thickness to the old gasket. That, it turns out, is a big if.

Anybody have any ideas how to make it work again?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Wow! That's a great valve! Not expensive, either! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

The petcock on my 86 is defferent, but the the holes ( i'll call the eyes ) had o ring in them. I couldn't find the correct size so i stacked 2 smaller ones on top of each other ( got them at Lowes ).

I know it's not the best thing to do, but have been working great for over 6 months now.

But if all else fails,i would go with the new inline valve. Why fight it too much !!!

Jim

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
The petcock on my 86 is defferent, but the the holes ( i'll call the eyes ) had o ring in them. I couldn't find the correct size so i stacked 2 smaller ones on top of each other ( got them at Lowes ).

I know it's not the best thing to do, but have been working great for over 6 months now.

But if all else fails,i would go with the new inline valve. Why fight it too much !!!

Jim
I'm not fighting the in-line valve, Jim. I just can't find the correct size, and even if I could I don't know where I'd put it.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Now that i think about it, i guess you would have to do some rerouting of the fuel line. I'm sure you have checked it out much better then my memory can recall.

Jim

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Dennis Just looked up your 87 on BikeBandit and they show your petcock assembly available for $ 26.xx . I also see they have the o'rings i should get.

JIM

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
Dennis Just looked up your 87 on BikeBandit and they show your petcock assembly available for $ 26.xx . I also see they have the o'rings i should get.

JIM
Although BikeBandit shows a price for those items there is no box under the quantity column so they don't have and probably can't get them.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
I think if I could find a paper-thin sheet of fuel resistant rubber...

Anybody have any ideas how to make it work again?
If it were me and I was looking for a small piece of fuel resistant rubber for that (trying to wear your hat), I'd see if RB has any of that fuel pump diapragm material left. That might work.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Is there any substance I could coat the gasket in that would be fuel resistant and thicken it up a bit?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I doubt it. I doubt it would last coming out of a home garage. Nothing against your garage or mine, but whatever is put on those fuel pump diapragms is probably done so with a process of heat-bonding, maybe with pressure. Something is put over the cloth membrane. I don't even know the rubber compound they use for that stuff. Would be nice to know but not sure I could duplicate it. That would be my concern. I think if anyone has a nice pile of "...well, this stuff ain't gonna work!" it would be RB. He was trying differentrubber materialwith the fuel pump rebuilds. Not sure exactly what he found out, but he found diapragm material. That stuff ain't cheap in bulk, which is about the only way to get it unless a kit is bought for a different pump.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...doesn't Randakk have that stuff made? Maybe he'll tell 'ya what it's made from, then buy a small a small sheet of it in the correct thickness and cut it out.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
...doesn't Randakk have that stuff made? Maybe he'll tell 'ya what it's made from, then buy a small a small sheet of it in the correct thickness and cut it out.
He may just get them from Honda. That's where I got that one.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

You never know... One of those cheap-O mud-flap kits from autozone might be a compatible material. Those things are more rubber than plastic, but kinda both. They sure hold up to chemicals. Might work...

:smiler:

You can tell 'em Yosemite Sam shuts your fuel off for 'ya.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Actually, I found a brittle spot that I think is going to turn out to be the problem with this one. I may be able to get it back together with that spotaway from the fuel flow.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

They must have changed the valve from '85 to '87, the one on my '85 is riveted together.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

JerryH wrote:
They must have changed the valve from '85 to '87, the one on my '85 is riveted together.
It's actually part of the body poking up through the face and pinged over. I drilled mine out and tapped it for screws.

However, yes, they did change them. '87 fuel system, including the tank and pump are not interchangeable with other years.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

they make those inline valves with 90 degree outlets as well as straight through. I used one on my 1100 as backup in case. The 90 made it real easy to fit. Of course mine is 1/4 inch line but they do make them in bigger too , right for the 1200, both sizes are usually on Ebay

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.