Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A medic that I work with has a ten year old daughter that is dying of cancer. They are currently stuck in Houston Texas and need a way to get their daughter home. If anyone could help please call Helen below as soon as possible. Thank you allin advance. Please read all that is below, it will break your heart. Again thank you.

Good morning,

I am sending this email with a heavy heart…..Kayla’s condition is worsening and she is still in Houston, Texas receiving treatments for her osteosarcoma. The details are in this email from Kayla’s mom below…..What we are trying to accomplish now is getting her home to be with family and friends (and her dog) for her last days…She can’t fly commercial, she is too sick…...We can get a medical crew and supplies together, what we need is someone who would provide a plane…..yep, I am asking for a plane ride home for Kayla……If any of you have connections to a corporation who would be able to help, please let me know and we can provide all of the necessary information……This will probably be the last thing we can do to help Kayla……

Thank you as always for your generosity,

Helen

Helen Gazdick

ER Charge Auditor

Jefferson Regional Medical Center

Finance Department

565 Coal Valley Road

Pittsburgh, PA 15236

412-469-7431

Cell #724-255-5460

[align=center]

[/align]

Dear Friends,

I can't even begin to tell you how I am feeling right now, the pain is too great... I continue to pray that no mother or father, or family will ever have to go through what we are going through, or feel what we are feeling, or see what we see, or endure the pain that we are enduring...As I type this, I can't stop the tears and I don't know if they will ever stop or if this extreme pain in my heart will ever go away.. Kayla's condition is getting worse, although she is eating and drinking some. She is still very weak, she cant sit up on her own anymore so I need to help her, she can't move her leg so I do it for her, I am by her side day and night helping her with whatever she needs me to do for her but despite all that she is going through, she still has that spunky attitude and such an amazing fighter .. .We want to get her home, but there are some things we need to get done here first and at home before we can do that.. Before we leave here, she ne eds to finish some radiation that they are doing to try and stop a tumor that is pressing on her spine, we found this out on Sat, the next day they started radiation and she will continue it everyday until Friday. We also found out over the weekend that radiating the tumor above her eye is not possible, so we will stay to get the dose of the HER2 trial next week, (she can't get it this week because of the radiation) in hopes that it can slow these tumors down some, especially the one above her eye since she can't get it radiated... Kayla is not able to fly on a regular air plane, her body is just too weak, so we are looking into a medical flight to get her home.. I know your probably going to say I'm not, but I feel like such a failure as a mother for not being able to help her... even though I know we are doing everything we can, to me, it will never seem enough, I feel so helpless, and frustrated.. it's just so hard, and it hurts so bad knowing that she will be coming home on pal lative care (hospice), I can't believe we are at this point, but we need to keep her as comfortable as we possably can, We dont know how much time we have left with her and I don't even want to know, I have her with me now, all I know is that my heart feels like it has been ripped out of my chest, shredded into a million pieces and put back in.... As much as I am hurting and want her here with me, I just want her to be pain free, happy, and safe, weather it's in my arms or in His.... Please pray for strenth, comfort and peace for her and for all of us... I will update again on when we are going home..
Much love and many blessings to all of you,
Dawn, Jim, Kayla and Nick

[align=center]
[/align]

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Just a few weeks back there was an article in the Houston Chronicle about a group of pilots here in the Houston area that does exactly that....Danged if I can remember that groups name, but I'll bet my last dollar that a call to the Houston Chronicle might glean that information.....I've got a couple of errands to run and I will do my best to find out that groups name......But if anyone else wants to look for it before I return, please do so....

Claude.....

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Angle Flights was the one I was thinking of too. They are really awesome people and if anyone can get her home, they can. I hope it works out as it sounds like there's a short time frame involved here.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Angel Flights is what immediately popped into my head as well.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I contacted Helen with the above information and hopefully everything will work itself out for this family. Thank you all again.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Part of this saying has been popping up in my mind for weeks now and I couldn't remember it all, so I went and looked it up....This how I feel and will answer your "Thank You" with it....

I expect to pass through life but once.
If, therefore, there be any kindness
I can show, or any good thing I can do
to any fellow being, let me do it now,
as I shall not pass this way again.
William Penn

Claude......

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

Have we found out anything yet? If not, I could contact a pilot friend of mine.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I am still waiting to hear. Possibly a local company with voluteer assist may be able to help. Will update as I find out information.

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

Thanks Sam, let us know.

·
New Guy
791 Posts
imported post

thx for letting us know about this very unfortunate situation. i have forwarded this thread's link to a friend in the flying community out here in the silicon valley area... he may know someone / an organization out that way that could be of assistance.

our best wishes to the family.
hal

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Currently Kayla is waiting for experimental chemotherapy to make her more comfortable before she can come home. Hopefully soon. Sorry that I cannot update further because that is all the information available at this time. Stiil has no ride home as of yet and not sure when it will be needed. I'm just hoping that she makes it home before passing.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thank you. I will forward this information.:waving:

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
imported post

Please let us know if this flight happens, I have a friend who maybe able to help. He is a pilot. You can call me at 724 364 3008

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

vipers36 wrote:
Please let us know if this flight happens, I have a friend who maybe able to help. He is a pilot. You can call me at 724 364 3008
Thank you very much. I will try to get a timeline soon as to when they will need transport. We already have medical equipment, doctors, and nurses voluteering for anything needed for the trip. If they have not found transportation yet I will call. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.