Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Ya All,

Can I Adjust my FM Radio to pull in the stations clearer?

It seems I have a few radio stations that are not as clear as I would like.

It seems like if I could just tune it just half a click it would be crystal clear.

Some stations are strong enough that this is not a problem.

The good stations are kinda Blubbery or cross channeling on my Wing. But on any other radio they are crystal clear.

I remember the old FM tuners you used to be able to reach thru a small hole or even the cassette Door and using a skinny regular screwdriver and tune the radio to pull in the stations clearer.

Is this possible with the Wing?

And where do I poke around?

I have been meaning to ask this for months,

But I get on here and poking around and my Mind turns "Blonde". :?

I'm married to one so I know the symptoms.

Thanks Guys.

Mohawk

·
Registered
371 Posts
imported post

Mohawk,
I can't answer your question about fine-tuning the FM tuner, but I experience the same problem with mine. And I recently got the radio unit back from Sierra. (It was poor before too)
I've gone through the troubleshooting procedure in the shop manual for the antenna system, but everything checks.
I can't get much volume unless I'm tuned to a band with a very strong signal.
I'm leaving next Friday on a 17 day, 6000 mile ride.
My first idea was to get an iPod and an FM transmitter.
Well, if you download 250 songs onto a 1 gig iPod at $.88 each, not to mention your time, you're way beyond the cost of a 1 year satellite radio subscription.
So, I bit the bullet and got a Sirrius receiver.
This thing jams. It's great. And you can turn your radio volume considerably higher with no distortion. (Used to, couldn't turn it up over about half way)
And crystal clear.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

RoundmanFabrications wrote:
Well, if you download 250 songs onto a 1 gig iPod at $.88 each, not to mention your time, you're way beyond the cost of a 1 year satellite radio subscription.
You can also load your CD collection into your computer and load those songs on the i-pod. I haven't paid for any songs since getting an i-pod because I have enough music in on my CDs for a lot of listening.

·
Registered
371 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
You can also load your CD collection into your computer and load those songs on the i-pod. I haven't paid for any songs since getting an i-pod because I have enough music in on my CDs for a lot of listening.
:goofygrin:

The last time I bought music in the store it was 8 tracks and LPs.
So, needless to say, I have no CD collection.
OK, you can laugh now.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

So Redwinger says that his radio was adjusted.

But does anybody know how?

For my short trips back and forth to work I use just the radio.

I would like to fix the clarity of the stations. On some channels it's great but others sound like I have blown speakers.

Still Looking....

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Hai Goldwingers, :waving:

I slove this matter by having my i-pod 4GB is good enough and download all the songs for free from the P2P website.I can have my whole journey with good quality sound without any interruptions.

REGARDS AND RIDE SAFE :cooldj:

·
Registered
371 Posts
imported post

Mohawk wrote:
So Redwinger says that his radio was adjusted.

But does anybody know how?

For my short trips back and forth to work I use just the radio.

I would like to fix the clarity of the stations. On some channels it's great but others sound like I have blown speakers.

Still Looking....

Mohawk
I'm with ya brother.
Exactly the same problem.
I will not go back to Sierra.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

RedWinger wrote:
I had tried the Griffin Itrip FM Modulator,But here is Sandy a go,I couldn't find a free FM signal/station..So the Itrip sits in it's box.
I had a similar problem and took a somewhat radical solution. I added an XM sat radio and had my iPod with the iTrip and kept having to change radio frequencies as I road into an area where that signal was in use by a radio station.

My solution was to disconnect the antenna from the back of the radio. Since the iPod and XM radio are always withing a few feet of the radio they still work fine and you neverneed tochange frequency on the radio, as it will not pick up any stations. The only downside is no regular radio anymore, but considering I have an mp3 CD player, iPod and XM on the bike, this is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The radio splitter on the left side of the fairing is where you adjust the fm gain on the radio.. it's a small metal box under the left fairing pocket.. If you have the factory CB, it sits on top of it under the wiring bundle..

All you need is a small non-metalic instrument (or similar) common screw driver with a long shank.. The book (from my memory) says to bring the bike to a hill with good reception and no interference, tune the radio to the weakest fm station and while listening, adjust the frequency gain screw inside the box (under the clear plastic protective tape) to achieve the best reception for that station.. you're done..

The presets (radio frequencies) on the radio itself are not field adjustable. They can be calibrated on the bench by Sierra, but not outside the shop.

If you need the book version, I will photo and show it..

Renegade

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Renagade,

Thanks Much, When I have a bit more time I will be sure and try your Procedure.

I knew there had to be somewhere to adjust the FM.

I also imagine there are some that would love to have a copy of the pages to refer to.

What book did you find this in?

Thanks again for your input.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Mohawk.. On pages 20-14 & 20-15 of the Honda repair manual, there are paragraphs on how to adjust the antenna length and the AM radio reception. FM reception will increase with the AM band strength, but apparently there is no direct adjustment for FM. After completing the process for AM, and you still do not have good FM quality, Sierra would be the next step...

With the heat wave up here in New England, the channel selector on my Aspencade seems to quit. In the morning, while riding in cool temps, I can change channels, but in the afternoon with the 90+ temperatures, there is no channel changing at all.. I've now got a radio problem...

Renegade

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well that Bites Huh?

Can you still change channels using the handlebar toggle?

Yup, we hit 102 here in Syracuse where I work.

My Temp gauge I have mounted on the tank said 106 when I left work at 2:30 Until I started rolling then it dropped down some.

Almost too Hot to ride.

Damn temped to grab one of those sissy bicycle helmets and wear it. As they have all those air holes in them.

But then I'd have to play games with the Town Clowns. ( Cops )

Good Luck to you on your radio.

I only have the owners manual and the Clymer Manual for my Bike.

I will have to scout around for the Honda Maintenance Manual, Someone I know should have one.

Thanks

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Mohawk... You have a 1500... they might be different than the 1200's.. I did not look at your profile.. My goof.. that's what I get for staying up late..

Most all radios are the same with the adjustment.. AM is always adjustable and FM flows with the reception AM gets.. Clymer manuals are also available..

I found this free Clymer 1200 manual on line.. http://gl1200.free.fr/index3.htm

Perhaps there is one somewhere for the 1500's to show where the adjustment can be made..

Renegade

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

RoundmanFabrications wrote:
Mohawk,
I can't answer your question about fine-tuning the FM tuner, but I experience the same problem with mine. And I recently got the radio unit back from Sierra. (It was poor before too)
I've gone through the troubleshooting procedure in the shop manual for the antenna system, but everything checks.
I can't get much volume unless I'm tuned to a band with a very strong signal.
I'm leaving next Friday on a 17 day, 6000 mile ride.
So, I bit the bullet and got a Sirrius receiver.
This thing jams. It's great. And you can turn your radio volume considerably higher with no distortion. (Used to, couldn't turn it up over about half way)
And crystal clear.
In reference to the FM transmitter, I purchased an FM modulator that connects directly in-line with the antenna and is powered by the bike's 12volt system. Unfortunately it sounds like crap. The quality of the MP3s is real reduced and I'vegot ignition noise coming through. Anybody full around with this and find something that works better?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

In reference to the FM transmitter, I purchased an FM modulator that connects directly in-line with the antenna and is powered by the bike's 12volt system. Unfortunately it sounds like crap. The quality of the MP3s is real reduced and I'vegot ignition noise coming through. Anybody full around with this and find something that works better?
I was sent an FM modulator by Jluvs2dive and it just plugs into a 12 volt outlet. It then gets tuned to a radio frequency that is spare and I can play back from a CD player, into it's mini jack socket,or the memory stick that just plugs into the modulator's USB port.

It is fantastic, although I have heard that in somee built up areas of the US it can suffer interference. I believe John got mine from Wallmart for about $28.00

I absolutely love mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.