Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm not the mechanic in the family, okay? I have one brother who IS a life-long, professional mechanic, and another who spray-paints for a living, and used to own a body shop. Me, I'm an elementary schoolteacher, who also spent 25 years as a newspaper reporter/photographer/editor. My brothers are 600 miles away, and available only for telephone consult.
Nonetheless, I grew up a farmboy, and have no dearth of experience turning a wrench, jury-rigging fixes, or reading technical instructions. My two bikes -- a 1982 Honda CB900 Custom and a 1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate -- average 27+ years old. The latter has been triked by other people.
How involved is the process? Is it something someone less than a professional mechanic can accomplish?
I'm looking at something like this:
http://www.triwing.com/images/trikes/1000-black.html
http://www.triwing.com/components.htm
Please advise.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

to build it yourself from scratch you need to have plenty of tools, welding skills and machine for the frame, and the bodywork would be another deal. i would suggest you to get a voyager kit, it is removable and easy to install. since i dont think you will find trike kits for the 1200 anymore

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
imported post

At the top of this Technical forum, you see several threads that are Stickys. Read through them and watch how the trikes in those threads were made from scratch.

That alone should have you decide if you want to tackle the job.

IMO, the hardest part is deciding what kind of a body you want on the back of the trike. Metal, or fibre glass, or a Woody type truck rack which I think is neat.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Triwing Industries' Trike kits are made in Victoria, Vancouver Island, BC Canada.

He seems to have a good reputation. I did try to find his place last year and it would seem he works from home. The kits he supplies don't come with the wheels or tires to lessen the weight for shipping.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Having just finished building a Tri-wing kit i can vouch for the quality of the kit.

You need to have knowledge of working on bikes has there's lots involved in the building.Although i did add lots!!! more than the standard kit.

If you look at the top of this page i did a comprehensive thread.

Jim at Tri-wing will iron out any problems you might come across during the build.

Good luck;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.