Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1985 ltd. that has a bad bank angle sensor/tilt switch. I have replaced it twice and they still are not lettig power get to the relay. When we jumper the wires together the bike will fire, take the jumpers off and the bike won't. What happen if we take the tilt switch out of the equation and do away with it? Does it mess with the computer? My mechanic is suggesting to do away with it. Anyone else done this???

Thanks Jack

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

No, the computer won't care but the bike might run over you over if stuck in cruise, or the throttle sticks and may be a fire hazard if gas leaks in an accident.

Computer just sees a switch.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

I'velearned that layinghorizontal is the naturalstate for a bike and all else is pure luck.

One morning this past summer, late for work and in a rush, which is usually the day you should leave the bike at home. But I didn't. I stepped off the bike leaving it on the side stand while warming up on choke to grab something I hadforgotten in my haste. I would not have left the bike running without my arse on it if not inthe hurry. The drive slopes gentlyaway from the man cave. Two step away from the bike, I for the very first time heard tupperware hitting black top. A sound I really don't want to hear again. It did notoccur tome right away but that nasty sound was notdulled by the sound of the engine. The bank sensor had cut it off so I could hearit ever so clearly. I picked my bike up and pushed it back into the garage and took the cager.

I realized later what a great safety feature thatis if the bike went down while riding. To have that wheel spinning while I'm sprawled or sprawling over the road with no control would be frightening. I hope I never experience it.

I for one would replace it. JMHO

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I know a couple of people bypassed the tilt switches on GL1500's while they were waiting weeks for Honda here to get replacement items in stock. They reported no problems and the Wings ran normally. Personally I would have left the Wing at home until the new switch arrived rather than take the chance.

·
Administrator
26,576 Posts
imported post

Just get rid of the tilt switch and put a dead man switch for a boat on it if you are worried about it running away after a spill.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Well it's good to know that the switch can be bypassed with no ill effects!
The bank angle switch on my 91 has never been replaced. Not sure why because I know for a fact this bike has been on a dealers floor a few times before I got it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.