Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you might remember I am in the process of turning my $500 1984 1200 A into a sort of rat rod bobber, Well I have coated the plastic with black rhino liner, Now my perfect BROWN seat does not match. The local upolstry shop wants $275 too cover it in black, Well I'm just a poor truck driver and can't pay that. Can I dye the seat black? If not does anyone have a cheap idea that can give me a black seat? If any of you have a black seat and you would rather have a brown one, mine looks like it was just made, there is not a blemish of any kind on it, no cracks, splits, faded spot's, the color is consistant over the whole seat, maybe another owner had it redone, I don't know, But I would gladly trade it for a black one. As always, eagerly waiting for your reply's, you guy's are great!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hi GB, vinyl doesn't dye well at all. Best to find one on ebay that will work for you.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
There are actually rattle can dies now that work very well with good prep work. Just go to any auto parts place...

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I found black vinyl spray at Pep Boys. I had a '94 Yamaha XT225 with a (yuk) green seat. I used this stuff to make it black. I cleaned it really good, and it looked great to start with, but it didn't take long for it to start wearing off, and it was getting on my jeans. This was a simple dirt bike seat, I had it recovered by a local shop, they put new foam in it as well, which made it more comfortable, for not that much. A Goldwing seat is a whole nother matter. The seat on my '85 LTD was almost completely rotted away. I found a like new seat and backrest pad on eBay, but it was NOT cheap. With shipping it cost me $340. Their may be one other option. I have seen do it yourself seat covers for sale on eBay for fairly reasonable prices, but they do require the old cover to be removed, and the new one to be stapled on. And I suspect they might not fit right if the foam has deteriorated over the years. I suck at upholstery, so I decided not to go that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.