Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short, I have a short circut in my original left side control unit. I got a new one from ebay but the headlights dont work on it, everything else does though. The headlights on the original control set do work. so the question is, Can I have both of them plugged in at the same time for a fully functional one in a sense? or maybe do some wire splicing? (sorry I already Have a thread discussing this, I just cant find it with this new website format)

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
What bike and what control unit? Don't know of any right & left control units for anything.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its an 1984 interstate. im talking about the turn signal lever, the horn, hi-beam and low-beanm etc,

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The switch is probably just dirty,common issue,just spray some cleaner in it and work it a few times

·
Administrator
58,405 Posts

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Split the switch housing apart and spray the high/low switch from the inside.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I agree with everyone but you might see you need to work the switch hundreds of times. Sounds like a lot but probably takes 2 minutes to work them 200 times. Common problem and common fix especially if the switch has not been used for a period of time. :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
In some severe cases you need to dismantle the switches after splitting the switch housing to clean them good. It's the grease inside the switches that hardens, need to take the switch apart to clean it out, shine up the contacts and re-grease. This is very effective but you have to be aware of "escaping-never-to-be-seen-again" little parts when you open the switch up. Open up the switch slowly and carefully (beware of jumpy little springs) so you can see where all the pieces-parts go and they'll be less likely to try to escape. Doesn't hurt to have somebody holding a small trash bag underneath when you open the switch.

I need to do this on my bikes, on the '93 Aspy the "Cruise-on" button is iffy (I just leave it on), the hazard switch only blinks the right side most of the time (if you can get it to do anything at all), don't dare push the mute button, took an hour to get it unstuck last time, and the radio tuning up-down works when it wants to. This is the result after just spraying cleaner into gaps.

And on the 1100 have to fiddle with the starter button to get the headlight to come back on sometimes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank yoou everyone i cleaned it and works like a charm. does anyone know to i can access my old threads? i need to continue discussing some repairs. I cant find them anywhere

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i found it thank you! while we are at it i think this would be appropriate for this thread. on of the two tinly lights on the side of the head light is out. how do i change that out?

·
Administrator
22,055 Posts
i found it thank you! while we are at it i think this would be appropriate for this thread. on of the two tinly lights on the side of the head light is out. how do i change that out?
Those lights are attached to the headlight. The whole system comes out with four bolts and two screws. Screws are just below the headlight and remove the little cover, under which you will find the bottom bolts. The top bolts are covered by the windshield garnish. It just pops open but be careful not to bend it.The

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Might have to clean the turn light switch just like you did the headlight switch???? Those lights work with the turn light switch.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well one turns on but the other doesnt. I think the bulb might be bad? I should have a spare bulb laying somewhere too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts