Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have bought used speedo off ebay, and want to lube it with graphite before installing, but can't seem it to taken any in the hole that the cable goes into.
Any trick to get it in there?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i know what your wanting to do i just used a bit and squeezed what i could in there it probably wont help at all the little that did go in

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the hole where the cable goes into comes to a dead end and is sealed so lube won't get into the back of the speedometer, basically it accepts the square end of the cable and the connector on the end of the cable housing just holds the cable to the speedometer case. All the gears inside under the glass and behind the speedometer face are all plastic with a wormgear driving the numbers in the odometer. To get any lube on thegears you will have to take the speedometer apart to get behind the face of it.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Find a piece of vinyl tubing that fits over the screw post where the speedo cable connections. Push on end of the tubing on there and suspend the other end of the tubing about 18" above the speedo.

Fill the tubing with light weight oil and the let it sit like that for a few hours.

Just enough oil will seep in to lubricate the one bearing surface you need to worry about.

Once the three or four hours are up, drain the oil back into the oil can/bottle, disconnect the tubing and you are good to go.

I did mine about 12,000 miles ago. No speedo noise since.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Just a little liquid graphite on the shaft is all it needs. You can do like bcassel suggested but just something to contain a small amount long enough for it to get around the shaft and it will last a long time.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I bought a new cable for my noisy speedo, broke that cable on 100 mile run. (second cable to break on that speedo). So I won another (speedo) on EB, and before installing with another new cable... I thought I should try and lube in order to head off at pass. Will some liquid graphite actually get into where it needs, with the lube/tube technique? Thanks for all responses.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

light oil may be better than liquid graphite
Wilf

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ok Wilf, I will bite, why not Graphite?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Liqud Graphite will get in further than even light oil because it's carrier is so thin.
That is what I would use but I would make my application time very brief.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.