Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The chromed piece above the headlamp looks so nice I was wondering if I can remove the Honda bagde above the head light? i.e. are they just stuch on or are there holes under each letter?

I would like to get a clean look on the from end.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ok great.

On a previous bike I used fishing line and a hot day in the sun to debage a Kawasaki. Any tips on the the front headlamp badge?

I need to keep that chrome in excellant shape.

Thank you.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Dental floss:waving:

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

In my area its not we no longer have hot days (90 or 100 degrees F) So what temp should I not attempt if its below X degrees?

I don't want to tear the chrome off because I could wait till it warms up some. We sill still have some 80 degree days so I can wait if needed.

Thoughts on min temp for removal?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I have taken side badges off of motocycle tanks in the middle of winter.

Some of the two sided tape will still remain.

Put Goo-be-gone on what is left for about an hour, and then wipe clean.

May take a couple of times doing this, but will not hurt the finish.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The badge above the headlight DOES have alignment holes that go through the chrome panel. So if I remove the "HONDA" there will be one small hole under the letter "H" and another under the letter "A".

Now they are small enough that I may consider removing them still. I did a test on a extra panel that came off a crashed GL1500. I don't have the crashed bike, just the panel.

I'm going to remove all the letters and see how it looks to me then decide. I like a clean look.

Dental floss worked very well. Now I just need to get some "goo gone" for the final decision.

Thanks to you all for your help. If anyone wants me to post a pic of the spare panel with the "HONDA" removed please post the request.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

I would like to see a pic. I have a 98 also so I'd like to see what it would look like besides it's a pain trying to clean around the letter's.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

First pic is what it looked like after I removed the letters with dental flossbut before I tried to remove the glue. I'm pointing at the hold that is behind the"H" there is one more hole behind the "A" but only two.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery/29042/thumbs/29042_141510_320000000.jpg

Next is after I spend a half hour on the letter "H" using Goo Gone and plastic tip puddy knife.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery/29042/thumbs/29042_141510_330000001.jpg

Due to that the piece is chromed, it is difficult to take a correct picture. This is also my spare/scrap piece. At a half hour for one letter its going to take longer to get it all off. Thats if the hole is acceptable.

I have debadged my previous bike on the tank. That took a total of half hour, taking my time of both sides.

My only warning to others is NEVER use a metal tool to remove the letters or the glue.

My follow on question is there any I can use stronger than goo done that is safe if used correctly?

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

flw wrote:
snip... Is there a how to post pics for this site?
One way is to upload them to the Photo Gallery on this site. On the main page, look on the list on the right side and click on "Photo Gallery". There you will see a clicky "Upload Photos". Then just browse your computer to where your photo is and upload it. Then when you want to post it to the forum, just click the "G" (for gallery) above where you are typing in the reply and it will take you to the photo gallery and you can select the photo to send. It will then appear in the box so you can preview it before sending.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.