Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a LED HEADLITE work right on an 84 GL? will it fit BEHIND the reflector lens, will it work right putting more light out on the road? why do some LED's have some kind of little box inline in the wiring and other do not? again, will the BIG BACK END of the LED fit behind the reflector without hitting something and generally not working/fitting? simple question

·
Administrator
22,355 Posts
Sure, you can use LED if you have no need to see anything.

The OEM reflector is designed to be used with a halogen bulb. The reflectors have lost a lot of their ability to reflect over the years, which would make LED bulbs even less effective.

If you could figure out a way to renew, or polish your reflector, that would probably bring the beam back to what it should be. Trouble is, the reflector is very fragile and sensitive to chemicals. Guess how I know that.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,240 Posts
For some that box is a cooling fan because the bulb runs hotter than other LED bulbs.
Your question is not really that simple. LED bulbs are very bright, but they more often than not give less down road light, just more up close.
As for whether it will fit - depends on the brand. Different brands are different sizes so you will have to get the measurements of the bulb you (might)0 choose and compare it to the room you have available.
Good luck!

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,223 Posts
I bought a pair of CREE driving lights advertised for jeeps, etc...

put them on my lawn tractor so we can mow after dark when the sun is gone.
they put out a terrific daylight white light, that lights up the trees to about 300 feet, and then they just fade away.

for a slow lawn mower at 5 mph, they are great.
I would NOT under any circumstances use them for anything except "driving lights" on a bar to make the bike look HUGE down the road to oncoming traffic.

They are not near good enough for use as a Headlight.
HIDs on the other hand, will light up th highway for a mile.... I can read the overhead interstate signs for way over a half mile clear enough I can read the info.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well... there we have it (motor) sports fans...it depends ;) I believe that I read somewhere that the "flutes" in the lens scatter the light and blinds oncoming traffic. LED's need to have a clear lens to work right. and yes/no, I read that even LOOKING at the THIN ultra SENSITIVE COATING on the reflector is ...bad. I would be concerned to even to bother to open it up as I wud see no point in it to monkey with it (that deal... IF IT WORKS.... there is only one lever on that piece of equipment u need to know abt... LEAVE'er ALONE!!!). maybe I shd just to go the eye dr and get a new script for the glasses ;)

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
snip.... there is only one lever on that piece of equipment u need to know abt... LEAVE'er ALONE!!!).
I like that saying. That's a good'n. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
The flutes on the 1200 lens and the reflector both require an almost point source light ( as did most car and bike lights in the 80's )
Incandescent bulbs are that .. If you want slightly brighter, try SilverStar bulbs .

As one reviewer of LED pointed out ( LOL )
LED bulbs appear much brighter , and are great if you drive only in cities or not at night ...
Hmmm...

On the other hand , HID H4 bulbs are almost a point source , and work quite well ... very bright :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-Headlight-HID-Xenon-H4-HI-LO-Bulb-6000K-35W-Ballast-Conversion-Kit-/271989886054?hash=item3f53dc4c66:g:snkAAOSwsB9V-~4c&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

and fairly cheap .... from $30 to $120 .

The one hang-up is that they require an exciter box ... which sadly means that you have to dreme out l a 1" by3' hole in the back of your light cavity to place the box into the fairing . What a pain !

I quite like my 35 watt motorcycle HID's ... for one thing , the after start charging comes back to 13.5 volts much faster , because the bulb is 35 watts, not 55/60 .

Also, they are much brighter , WAY down the road, on a dark night . But a pain to install !!

SilverDave

Reactions: Wig

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
ebay ~$30 for a pair of 2 inch diameter round LED ~6500K color, 15 watts - puts out light equal to 150 watt Halogen bulb
Very low demand on the charging system- requires approx 3 amps to run both on Full.
Shipped from San Diego instead of waiting on China.

The round clear lens units have 3 modes- low power for DRL- daytime running lights, Full power, and rapid FLASH-
which does a really nice job moving slow traffic out of the way :)

Oncoming traffic thru the mountains is very alert to my presence... from a long distance.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I would NOT under any circumstances use them for anything except "driving lights" on a bar to make the bike look HUGE down the road to oncoming traffic.
...And that's because they aren't headlights, they're driving lights.
I wouldn't use an LED driving light for anything other than a driving light either.
If you want an LED headlight, like OP asked about, you use an LED headlight :wink2: You can't compare the things you put on your mower to a real LED headlight.
I installed a pair of these in a buddy's GS1250F and it's single bulb low beam easily outshines my 1500's dual lowbeam Silverstar Ultras and it's single high is comparable.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
hello guys, when i had my 1200 i installed a XENON bulb, i also noticed that the reflector (chrome finish) was very dull so i fixed it with a layer of chrome vinyl decal, a couple of weeks ago i did the same on my new balkyrie. if you search on the forum there is probably the pics of what i did on the goldwing because i dont have the pictures anymore, it really inproved the light output like 100%. i got the same results on my valkyrie. here are a couple of pictures

before:

the goldwing reflector i believe is round, not square cut like the valkyrie but you can figure out how to do it, here are the vinyl that i cut to match the pattern on the reflector

now here is the reflector after

as you can see is a simple fix and to me cost me nothing since i already had the vinyl wrap, it was a left over but enough to make this. im sure you can get left overs at a decal shop or anywhere they use this vinyl wrap or even ask for a sample and that will do.

i dont have pictures of the light output after or before, but trust me its worth the time.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
as now, for your other questions, most LED H4 bulbs have a heatsink on the back and a small fan. every brand makes it different.. also some bulbs have a small box that appears to be a some sort of ballast. if the cord is long enough you may be able to put it somewhere above the headlight hosing behind the garish bracket, i would not recommend it into the fairing because it gets really hot (at least the ones that i am running on my bike do, depends on brand and output)

some bulbs dont have this ballast device because the light output is less and dont need it.

if you want to buy online here is one that you can be sure it will fit, the headsink and fan are installed in front of the bulb into the headlight housing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-True-25W-2800LM-New-Flip-Chip-LED-Motorcycle-Headlight-Dual-Hi-Lo-Bulb-/322192503107?hash=item4b042b7143:g:WMcAAOSwYSlXh-YD

if you're going to purchase locally and see them physically before purchasing you may be able to tell if it will fit behind the headlight but IIRC the space between the fairing and the headlight nousing is very small on the 1200gl and i dont think you will be able to fit any led bulb with heatsink on the back.

i recommend to purchase the one with heatsink on the front as it may have a greater light output than those plain led bulbs that dont have heatsink at all

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts

HIDs on the other hand, will light up th highway for a mile.... I can read the overhead interstate signs for way over a half mile clear enough I can read the info.
Im sorry to disagree with you John, at first i was skeptical like you, but led technology has improved that has knocked out the HID.

i am running LED h4 bulbs on my valkyrie and it has greater output than HID lights, i've used them on the highways at night and feel really confident as i am able to see everything in front of me riding at the indicated speed limited.

·
Administrator
25,717 Posts
Thanks for the good info William.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed a hid kit in my 1500 about a year ago and the result was less than inspiring. There was loads of light, but it was dissipated everywhere apart from where it was actually needed and there was a blue hue that made it very hard to see road signs. I eventually pulled it out after trying all sorts of adjustment with no improvement. I am quite happy now with the stronger halogens that I installed.
I have been reading about these fan cooled led,s for a while now but I think Ill wait and see someone else,s efforts in this regard before I try the led,s out.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
I had 8000k xenon installed and hated it. Blueish tint is just for show and even dangerous when it's wet, switched for 4300 or 5000k that's pure white like halogen. In the other hand, led light is white as snow.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes the fan on the back would probably cause problems? and a person doesn't know what is behind the dash to just wildly go in there with the grinding tool and grind out plastic behind the bulb to get it to fit w/o getting into something in the dash. the reflective stuff glued on the lens mirror is a good idea; I have done that in the background of my tail lights on things with aluminum foil and RTV sealant as the glue to hold it in there, that helps a lot on the light output. since most ppl idea of "appropriate following distance" is NUTT TO BUTT @ any speed... that way they can be the FIRST ONES TO THE ACCIDENT.

the LED bulb is just ONE LITTLE BITTY LIGHT? whereas the regular bulbs are 360 degree of light? if it wasn't such a chore to get in there, more than once, I would try various ones until I got the right one I thought was best. I already have 100 watt xenon bulbs to replace the one that is in there... but IS IT TOO HOT/too much current for the housing/switch/wiring???? don't want to cook the wiring/burn the bike down to the ground. the Silverstar Ultra's are not worth the COST/effort to put them in due to minimal light output increase, right?

if we could just have a common consensus on THIS ONE WILL WORK ON THE 1200, THIS IS WHAT U NEED TO HAVE IF U WANT MORE LIGHT/BE SEEN, IT IS WORTH THE EFFORT, doesn't cost too much, etc.

·
Administrator
22,355 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Stay away from.100watt bulbs, you will melt your connector overheat the wiring and probably damage the starter or dimmer switch. Stay with the 55/50w or go the better way with a HID Xenon bulb that mostly draws 35W or even better the led type of bulb.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, no 100 watt bulb (that I already have, not installed). the HID I have is 55 watt (it gets is main power from the battery through a 20 gauge wire, it is small wire. the 2 other wires just switch the light from hi to low)... but where to put the little black box, it wont fit in the headlight area, right? so have to dremel out a hole... somewhere in the fairing and put the little black box... if the leads were long enough I would put the black box inside the faux gas tank Velcro'ed or hot glued to the inside of the faux tank.

the Silverstar ULTRAS are not worth the extra effort to change them out for the minimal light increase, if any, ok. I think the inside of the lens background is ok being a desert bike...but... left outside in the elements...dust?

the new reflective background is a good idea... if it is MUCH of an improvement over the original background in the headlite lens? with hands like feet, doing fine/quality work/skills are a problem... watch repair is OUT!!! too many times I have "fixed" things and the end result was, shall we say... NOT WORTH THE WORK INVOLVED.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
ok, no 100 watt bulb (that I already have, not installed). the HID I have is 55 watt (it gets is main power from the battery through a 20 gauge wire, it is small wire. the 2 other wires just switch the light from hi to low)... but where to put the little black box, it wont fit in the headlight area, right? so have to dremel out a hole... somewhere in the fairing and put the little black box... if the leads were long enough I would put the black box inside the faux gas tank Velcro'ed or hot glued to the inside of the faux tank.

the Silverstar ULTRAS are not worth the extra effort to change them out for the minimal light increase, if any, ok. I think the inside of the lens background is ok being a desert bike...but... left outside in the elements...dust?

the new reflective background is a good idea... if it is MUCH of an improvement over the original background in the headlite lens? with hands like feet, doing fine/quality work/skills are a problem... watch repair is OUT!!! too many times I have "fixed" things and the end result was, shall we say... NOT WORTH THE WORK INVOLVED.

i lost all the pics that i had when i did mods to my 1200, but the ballast was mounted above the headlight bucket, there is a hole behind the chrome garnish bracket. the other box that controls the high and low beam i managed to fit it inside the fairing from the right side of the bike (throttle) IIRC thats thats the side where there is a hole for the original bulb plug. if not, well use the left side. my bike as an interstate so there was no compressor or radio stuff on the fairing, i did not had to modify the fairing to fit anything.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.