Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to build a new headlight circuit from scratch. I would use an on-off-on marine grade rocker switch. One "on" would be low beam, the other "on" would be high beam. I would use "off" when starting the bike. I would use a relay to get power to the headlamp. But that's just my idea. I do not know how exactly to wire this up and where and how to use a relay or whether I need a second relay. i would need to provide a power source to the on-off-on switch to power the relay(s). I don't think I could run this rocker switch with raw power, thus the relays. If someone could draw up a diagram, I would be eternally grateful.

Recap: On-off-on rocker switch to control the headlights bypassing the OEM controls. Getting power from the battery for the lights. Using relays so the on-off-on rocker switch merely powers the relays.

·
Administrator
26,550 Posts
The headlights already go off when starting. Don't know what you have but on an 1800 it is easy to fix them so the headlight doesn't come on until the oil light goes out.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,172 Posts
The headlights already go off when starting. Don't know what you have but on an 1800 it is easy to fix them so the headlight doesn't come on until the oil light goes out.
What Dave just said, is what he did to my bike.

the Low Beams will not turn ON, until after the Oil Pressure has built up.
it is a fail safe way to provide all of the battery power to the starter.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
If you are determined to do the modification it would be fairly easy as the bright and dim relays already exist. Use a single pole double throw 3 position switch with off in the middle position,

Now go find the high beam relay terminal #86. Remove the existing wire and run a new one from the #86 high beam terminal to either end of your installed rocker switch.

Now go find the low beam relay terminal #86. Remove the existing wire and run a new one from the #86 low beam terminal to the other end end of your installed rocker switch.

Withe the only terminal left on the switch is the center terminal run fused power to that center terminal.

The switch should now have control of the headlights as follows.

In the center position you should have no headlights. Click in one direction to activate high beams and the other way to activate low beams. If you wish to reverse the direction of the switch turn the rocker switch 180 degrees or flip flop the outside wires.

If you prefer not using any Honda parts see below.

Screenshot (102)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
If its a 1500 i have done similar on my mates trike, knowing what bike you are working on would be a great help

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
If you are determined to do the modification it would be fairly easy as the bright and dim relays already exist. Use a single pole double throw 3 position switch with off in the middle position,

Now go find the high beam relay terminal #86. Remove the existing wire and run a new one from the #86 high beam terminal to either end of your installed rocker switch.

Now go find the low beam relay terminal #86. Remove the existing wire and run a new one from the #86 low beam terminal to the other end end of your installed rocker switch.

Withe the only terminal left on the switch is the center terminal run fused power to that center terminal.

The switch should now have control of the headlights as follows.

In the center position you should have no headlights. Click in one direction to activate high beams and the other way to activate low beams. If you wish to reverse the direction of the switch turn the rocker switch 180 degrees or flip flop the outside wires.

If you prefer not using any Honda parts see below.

View attachment 323418
Mike, He stated he wanted to build a "New" headlight circuit "from scratch". Not modify the existing headlight circuit.

At least that's what I interpret from his post.

Just my thoughts...! But I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
I posted a circuit on the other forum.....

·
Registered
409 Posts
He posted this on another site. The high/low switch on his 1200 is worn out.

Just get another switch. Ask if anyone here has one or look on E Bay. Much easier than trying to hack into the wire harness on the bike.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a 1983 Interstate. i did buy a "new" switch on eBay. That one also had a hi-low switch that didn't work. Yes, I want to create a new circuit from scratch. DenverWinger has responded on another site.

Redwing: 1983's don't have headlight relays. If I created the circuit shown in your diagram, do you think that would work? If so, I may have a follow up question or two.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
It's a 1983 Interstate. i did buy a "new" switch on eBay. That one also had a hi-low switch that didn't work. Yes, I want to create a new circuit from scratch. DenverWinger has responded on another site.

Redwing: 1983's don't have headlight relays. If I created the circuit shown in your diagram, do you think that would work? If so, I may have a follow up question or two.
If you can interpret my poor drawing I would say yes it will work. With that said I have tp say that Denver is definitely better at electronics as he does it every day. So I guess that either way will do the job but I don't know what Denver suggested. I guess it is your pick. :unsure: :)

In a nutshell when you push the switch one way or the other the switch will activate the appropriate relay. The relay in turn will drive the appropriate light.

You would need 2 relays and a single pole double throw switch that is off in neutral. Plus a bunch of wiring. See below. Both should be weatherproof or covered.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Find the power into the hi/low switch and connect that to the centre of your "new" switchthen use the outer contacts to operate the relays. Run a seperate fused supply to the relays and output to bulb(s) hi/lo.
Im not good at attaching thingies plus im in UK

·
Administrator
26,550 Posts
It's a 1983 Interstate. i did buy a "new" switch on eBay. That one also had a hi-low switch that didn't work.
Are you sure it's the high/low switch and not the start switch causing the problem?

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Bryanlj, all these tips will surely help.

Dave: Pretty sure. I removed and cleaned the start switch which was really gummed up with goo. I did the testing at the hi-low switch. Power gets to the single big square contact but power doesn't flow into the 2 small ones. Research shows these contacts wear etc, thus preventing flow.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Johnny,
It sounds like you are on track.. If you have power at the dimmer switch the start switch is not the issue. Furthermore if you have power going in but no power coming out when you move the dimmer switch that switch is obviously bad.

Another thought is to grab the three wires at the dimmer switch and just use them for your new switch of course. :)

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
redwing: do you mean send power to the toggle switch with the hot (blue/white) wire and attach the other two to the two "on" terminals, one for hi (blue) and one for low (white)?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
redwing: do you mean send power to the toggle switch with the hot (blue/white) wire and attach the other two to the two "on" terminals, one for hi (blue) and one for low (white)?
Yes....why not if you want it simple?. If only the switch has failed use everything as is but replace the retrofit switch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts