Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Honda Guru
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
imported post

I have the Show Chrome version. (that would be the #214) I chose them because they 'conform' to the shape of your bike better and 'in theory' allow a better seal when riding in the cold and help to keep the cold air off you.
I also like the 'less complicated' mounting. I think they look better.

I'm sure there will be those that chime in and chose the Baker's and they have their own reasons why.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

rayworx wrote:
I have the Show Chrome version. (that would be the #214) I chose them because they 'conform' to the shape of your bike better and 'in theory' allow a better seal when riding in the cold and help to keep the cold air off you.
I also like the 'less complicated' mounting. I think they look better.

I'm sure there will be those that chime in and chose the Baker's and they have their own reasons why.
Dang I got to start reading the fine print, I thought they was both Baker...do the show chrome mount in the same place...many thanks
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

Show chrome mount under the pockets only, they are horizontally mounted, not vertically mounted as Baker Builts are.
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

Looking at the photos, the difference is obvious. :?

While the Baker Air wings (upper and lowers)offer two wind wings per side which does allow a bit of fine tuning of incoming air directed towards the rider and/or passenger, I like the lower cost and easier, yet sturdiermounting (and dismounting) of the Show Chrome ones. I also found, unless you pay extra for the Baker Built "New Generation" plastics, the plastic becomes brittle with age/UV exposure and will crack while adjusting them. (1st hand experience) There are also quite a few little parts that can need replacing after a lot of use.

For the reasons stated above, my vote would go to the Show Chrome ones because of their simplicity, sturdier mounting systemand lower cost



A set of hand wings, plus a set of the wind wings (no matter which brand) are IMHO, a "must" for bringing in comfortingcooling air, during those hot summerrides!! :claps:





 

·
mr irrelevant
Joined
·
2,205 Posts
imported post

+1 on what Dusty said about the wings. Wouldnt be without hand wings now that we have them, the lower wings two peice design is nice, because you can open the upper one in hot temps to get fresh air in on you,while leaving the lower closed off so the hot air coming out of side vents from radiators(1500 and 1800) is helped pushed out and away...and even though from the pic below it looks like you wouldnt notice a lot of that because of the height of the lower wings, but you can feel the difference at speed on the highway, not sure what brand my lower set of wings is though...sorry.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have the Bakers and I like them for their versatility as to where I can get air and put air, and thats what came on the bike when I bought it....... But I do like them, however......

They do get brittle as Dusty said. When I was looking at my bike before I bought it, I was getting off the bike and put my knee through the one on the right....... On my way out to N5, just the wind pressure pushing on the screen, cracked a corner off the other side where it contacts the corner of the fairing. But I would buy them again....... Worth the money in my opinion. I also have no experience with the other brands.

 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,838 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
While the Baker Air wings (upper and lowers)offer two wind wings per side which does allow a bit of fine tuning of incoming air directed towards the rider and/or passenger, I like the lower cost and easier, yet sturdiermounting (and dismounting) of the Show Chrome ones. I also found, unless you pay extra for the Baker Built "New Generation" plastics, the plastic becomes brittle with age/UV exposure and will crack while adjusting them. (1st hand experience) There are also quite a few little parts that can need replacing after a lot of use.

For the reasons stated above, my vote would go to the Show Chrome ones because of their simplicity, sturdier mounting systemand lower cost
+1 pm Dusty's post. In addition, the locking nuts that hold the tension on the wings constantly loosen up, and unless they are really tight, big winds such as a semi truck passing in the opposite direction can flip them out. The spherical tensionnut on the bottom is mostly useless. It' difficult to get it tight enough. I replaced mine with stainless wingnuts which work much better, but the top nut still loosens all the time. No room to use a wingnut there or I would have replaced that too.

One reason I haven't gone to the Showchrome version yet, they don't come in blue and that just wouldn't be right in smoke or clear. :ROFL::ROFL:





John
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

Hmm ..... that last photo of yours looks suspiciously familiar, John! :D:ROFL: :ROFL:

















Iecho what John reported about the Baker Built Wind Wings not staying put where you set them when a large truck passes by going the other way, or you are doing over 75 - 80mph, unless you really reef down the tension nuts, which in turn lead to me cracking the plastic trying to adjust them. :waiting:



Dusty
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,838 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Hmm ..... that last photo of yours looks suspiciously familiar, John! :D:ROFL: :ROFL:





Yeah I knew you'd say something. It's a great picture so I had to steal it. :D It was a great ride too, even if the weather wasn't cooperating. :action:

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
477 Posts
imported post

Question for Mr. Dusty...(heavy on that Mr.!)

I went and looked at the Show Chrome page and was not able to find any tech info or installation instructions. There was a comment in the customer responses that the hand wing attaches to or at one of the original mirror mounts. (1800)

I, of course, am interested in putting these where they were never built to go. On my 1200. I'm not afraid to fab up mounting hardware or go beyond a plug-and-play type installation...do they look like they would be adaptable, with a little imagination?

Thanks a lot,
Jim
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,838 Posts
imported post

Wingunner wrote:
Question for Mr. Dusty...(heavy on that Mr.!)

I went and looked at the Show Chrome page and was not able to find any tech info or installation instructions. There was a comment in the customer responses that the hand wing attaches to or at one of the original mirror mounts. (1800)

I, of course, am interested in putting these where they were never built to go. On my 1200. I'm not afraid to fab up mounting hardware or go beyond a plug-and-play type installation...do they look like they would be adaptable, with a little imagination?

Thanks a lot,
Jim
I am fairly certain that the Baker Hand Wings built for the GL1500 will work on the GL1200 mirrors without much if any modification. You might have to pry the case away from the glass to get the brackets in place but I think they will fit as is otherwise. I have not tried it though, this was just from observation. As far as I know, Show Chrome does not make any hand wings. Their wind wings do have installation instructions on Big Bike Parts site,
http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventory/Navision/2-565?catalogNo=1.
Baker does make wind wings for the GL1200 though. I don't believe Show Chrome does though, at least not any more.


John
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Yeah I knew you'd say something. It's a great picture so I had to steal it. :D It was a great ride too, even if the weather wasn't cooperating. :action:

John


Gee John ... what's a few sprinkles! :?

I (and I'm sure Winger did too) enjoyed the ride. Only bummer about it, was that once again I was foiled from seeing the shy Ole Girl.

Just means I'll have to return to the PNW in the future and maybe this time, camp out on her door step until she hopefullyreveals her majestic beauty to me. After all, I have to be lucky the 28th time in that immediate area!!! :coollep: ;)
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,838 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:
Yeah I knew you'd say something. It's a great picture so I had to steal it. :D It was a great ride too, even if the weather wasn't cooperating. :action:

John
Gee John ... what's a few sprinkles! :?

I (and I'm sure Winger did too) enjoyed the ride. Only bummer about it, was that once again I was foiled from seeing the shy Ole Girl.

Just means I'll have to return to the PNW in the future and maybe this time, camp out on her door step until she hopefullyreveals her majestic beauty to me. After all, I have to be lucky the 28th time in that immediate area!!! :coollep: ;)
I think you know I wasn't too worried about the weather for myself. I ride in the rain regularly.:) I was just hoping for better weather for all of the NASSIR guests, and especially for you since you have been foiled by the big lady so many times.

John
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

I knew exactly what you were meaning my friend! ;)

Seems all riders from the Seattle area/PNW have a 'guilt complex' about theweather that is associated with the area, but I know just how nice the weather can be, the other 1 1/2 months of the year! :D

I highly doubt the weather was a problem to any ofthose that rode out to N4. After all .... they are ''Riders" :coollep:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
477 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive,

Thanks for the info, I'll see what I see. I've got the Baker lowers, but it appears to me like the others I have seen have a better adjustment system that might stay put. It looks like they are from National Cycle. Thought they looked like the ones Dusty was wearing.

Thanks all
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,319 Posts
imported post

I think I like the looks of the 3 piece the best, never used them though.

Where do you get the replacement plastics?
One of my Hand wings got busted in the deer hit, and one of my lowers has broken plastic.

Has anyone thought of replacing the plastics with metal or ABS? Is there a reason that would not work?
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,838 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
imported post

I replaced the Plastic Panels for mine with 16 (.063") gauge sheet metal.

I then scuffed it up, Primed and painted them to match and they have worked great for years.

I think you can see them in my avatar, If not give a shout and I will find a better picture.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top