Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I am considering replacing my bike with an 1800 of about 2004-5 vintage and have a concern about ground clearance to allow me to get it to its parking garage
I have a step in the way which is cleared by my 1100 but I dont know the ground clarance of the 1800

Could someone with an 1800 measure the minimum ground clarance on the left side when sitting on the bike with the bike standing on both wheels and upright

Many thanks in advance for any assistance

Regards Rob

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Don't you mean ground clearance at the centre line Rob, ie the lowest point of the bike?

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
The clearance may be about the same but the wheel base has to be considered also.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't you mean ground clearance at the centre line Rob, ie the lowest point of the bike?
not really the bike has to pass down an alley and there is a step jutting out on the left side which is 5 inches tall, there is about 3 feet between the edge of the step and the fence, so my 1100 left side travels over the step as I pass it
So to answer your question its the left 1/3 of the bike that concerns me
Cheers

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
My suspension is not stock so it would not be accurate.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Could you put a length of 2x12 at that step to drive on?
Would that get you the clearance?
:?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could you put a length of 2x12 at that step to drive on?
Would that get you the clearance?

:?
Until I find out what clearance is needed by the bike, I don't know if I will need anything at all, but thanks for the idea

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
MAAAAAYBEEeeeee a big truck could run into that step and it be rebuilt for more room?

(Sg. Schults) "I said nothing,... NOTHING!"

;)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
That big truck would take out the fence that is so close first.
I See Nothing.....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hello all
I am considering replacing my bike with an 1800 of about 2004-5 vintage and have a concern about ground clearance to allow me to get it to its parking garage
I have a step in the way which is cleared by my 1100 but I dont know the ground clarance of the 1800

Could someone with an 1800 measure the minimum ground clarance on the left side when sitting on the bike with the bike standing on both wheels and upright

Many thanks in advance for any assistance

Regards Rob
hi miroku. when i get home from work tonite, around 530 pm my time. I will go take as many measurments as I can on the left side of the bike from the front to to the back. uner the cylinders and frame and everywhere else i think might be nessesary. I will do it with the suspension set up and down. I have a 2002 with the stoke suspension so should be the same.

Cyclepath

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi miroku. when i get home from work tonite, around 530 pm my time. I will go take as many measurments as I can on the left side of the bike from the front to to the back. uner the cylinders and frame and everywhere else i think might be nessesary. I will do it with the suspension set up and down. I have a 2002 with the stoke suspension so should be the same.

Cyclepath
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar :bow:
I never believed what everybody said about the colonials across the pond (but one or two earlier in the post seemed to be trying to prove it LOL)
I look forward to your reply and thank you for taking the trouble

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I never believed what everybody said about the colonials across the pond (but one or two earlier in the post seemed to be trying to prove it LOL)
Hey miroku, I don't know about that gentleman and a scholar stuff. Hahahaha:ROFL:
I got stuck at work really late last night :lash: and didn't get home in time to do the measurements but I will try and do them tonight. Hope that wasn't to much of an inconvenience.

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Is there anyway you can test drive the bike and check it for yourself,This way there is no guessing.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
We've had both the 1100 Interstate and the 1800 at the same time. Don't know what the difference was, but the 1100 had visibly more ground clearance and could turn a tighter circle than the 1800.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ok, I got stuck again at work but when I got home I went out to the garage with my "beautiful charming life partner" I get points for talking like that.:ROFL: It was dark and cold so here is what I have. If you need more let me know. I had my suspension set to about 10. I was sitting on the bike with her doing the work with the tape measure. hehehe I weigh 165 lbs.
Under the left cylinder head engine guard. Bottom of tubing to the ground is 11.75 inches. Under the valve cover to ground is 12 inches. Under the front part of the engine on the left side to ground is 5 inches.
Under the left muffler about 1/4 of the way back is 8.5 inches.
Hope this helps ya but I think the best thing you can do is MOVE. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Cyclepath

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Definitely a gentleman and a scholar, that is exactly what I wanted, pass on my thanks to your significant other for doing all the bending in this assistance to me. It is much appreciated

And it will go past the step :praying: I think

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Definitely a gentleman and a scholar, that is exactly what I wanted, pass on my thanks to your significant other for doing all the bending in this assistance to me. It is much appreciated

And it will go past the step :praying: I think

Cool. Glad we could help. You could always go slow with the right foot down and lean a little to the right. That would give a bunch more clearence under that left valve cover but then I don't know how tight it is for leaning. It was dark and cold last night so we did this with a flash lite. If you need any more just let me know. Ride on my friend.....:18gold: :action:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.