Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can front and rear rotors on my '83 1100 be turned? Like automotive rotors? are is there not enough material.

Thanks

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi as far as i know the min thickness is 5mm.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

yes and no... you cannot.... cannot .... turn them like a car rotor.. but a machine shop can grand them as long as it is within specs... do a google, I thin there is a place that shows where you can send them off and have them done.... runs 40-50 clams

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
imported post

I think it's a waste of money. If they are worn or warped bad enough to need turned they probably won't turn out within minimum thickness tolerance. If they are just worn a little and above minimum in the thinnest place use them as is.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I dissagree (repsectfully) had a rotor ground on my 78 about 15 years ago, and it still works, and had one done on my cx500.... the key is they have to be ground, if you turn them, they will go south,,,, and.... aboslutly, they have to be witin specs... it only takes a small amount of warp to FEEL like a lot

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
imported post

I didn't mean it couldn't work Rodger, just it's unlikely since they don't have a lot of extra metal to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Are our rotors actually cast? I thought the OEM and aftermarkets were a special alloy.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I have had rotors ground in the past. They can be cut like a flywheel. They are milled flat. Have had it done and no problems with them. Just compare the price of cutting them to a new. If you can get a set done for 1/2 price or less I would go for it.

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
Are our rotors actually cast? I thought the OEM and aftermarkets were a special alloy.
They must be something besides cast iron (or steel), cast rotors on cars will rust overnight in high humidity and I haven't seen a rusty motorcycle rotor yet.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

keithg64 wrote:
I have had rotors groung before without any problem, I work in a machine shop with a Blanchard Grinder. Has anyone drill holes in rotors before?
Yes, Idrilled the rotors on my '77 GL1000 right after I bought it new. They are of a very tuff material. I would be extremely surprised if the metal wasn't some alloy of forged stainless steel. I had to drill at very slow RPM. I would lose most effective braking if they got wet, until I drilled them...that fixed it for me. :waving:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

In Fresno, it is virtually impossible to find a machine shop that will turn motorcycle rotors , no matter what the specs are. just too much liability for insurance companies. ( I suppose)

I had to take a class and learn how to use a lathe and do it myself.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I have been successful in acquiring newish (no wear in) rotors on eBay at good prices (last one was $35). You have to wait and watch to get them at a good price.

At that price range, I prefer to change them rather than screw with them.

Since they wear out slowly, I just make rotors one of the things I check for when I make my scans through eBay. If I find a good candidate (seller included) I toss that item in the automated sniper system to see if I win it. If not, it's back to fishing for another candidate.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

keithg64 wrote:
I have had rotors groung before without any problem, I work in a machine shop with a Blanchard Grinder. Has anyone drill holes in rotors before?
Hi Keith. I drilled a set last week. The pictures are in the gallery. i used my super spacer. it wasnt too hard. I found piloting them with a #4 5/16 body machinist center drill first was easier than pushing the 1/4 inch drill thru them. I used a 12 pattern with 3 holes =36 holes in a running pattern. I had to go slower on the outer edge holes on the front where the rotor tends to flex as i had to chuck up on the center hole.. The rear was easier. jb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.