Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Can the rubber cover be removed across the top of 1500 carbs for easy maintenance?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  redwing52 
#1 ·
I have a 93 Aspencade that I am rebuilding the carbs on since it will not run right and while I do that I need to check the rest of the hoses and tubes in the unholy vacuum system....

FIRST question: Can I simply cut out that thich rubber mat-like cover the goes over the top of the motor and around the carbs? That way I can clean and see issues much easier.

SECOND: What is the best method for syncing the carbs with limited tools?

Tanks all.....

#2 ·
That is a heat shield to keep heat from the engine away from the carbs. It should really stay.
Get a length of clear vinyl tube. Buy a little mercury off eBay. (you can use heavy oil like gear oil or 50 weight oil etc.) Cut the tube around 12 feet long give or take. Put the mercury inside the vinyl tube and hook the 2 ends of the tube to the carbs. One end to each carb. Let the vinyl tube loop over the top of a ladder or something higher than the bike to insure the mercury does not get sucked in the engine. With the engine off use a Sharpie to mark exactly where the mercury is in the loop. Make sure nothing gets bumped or moved now that the tube is "calibrated." Start the engine and adjust the carbs if necessary until the mercury goes back between the Sharpie lines. You are good to go.

#4 ·
After you get the carbs out, you can pull the mat out to do your work. Take some photos of how the mat sits in there before you remove it! Put it back in before you put the carbs back in. Take your time, it is a pain to get it under/over everything. This is where the photos come in handy. Without it, the bike will be VERY hard to start in warm weather. Mine was falling apart on my 88. Bike was a pain to start when the bike is up to normal operating temps and the outside temps were 70+ if it sat for more than 10-15 minutes. I replaced the mat with a new one and the starting problems went away.

Just get yourself a carb sync gauge kit and be done with it. No messing around with liquids. When you are done, it goes in your tool storage area and it ready to go the next time. Do not mess with mercury! It is not worth it and is a hazardous material.

This is the type of kit I use on my 88. Works great.

#5 ·
I left the mat out when I rebuilt the carb's, 2 years ago. My bike starts right up cold or hot and run's great. I've been over Sonora Pass at 10,000 ft in 100 degree weather and no problems. I went to Utah last year and the bike started running bad at high elevation idling around the park in heavy traffic. I had bought some 85 oct. gas in Vegas that was bad because I filled up with 87 and never had another problem. Someone said the mat keeps the carb's from boiling the gas, I thought that was the problem in Utah at first but realized later it was the gas. If I have to remove the carb's again I will put it back, just for peace of mind. Good Luck One more thing I live in a hot part of Calif. San Joaquin Valley summer 100 degrees for a month.

#6 ·
I left the mat out when I rebuilt the carb's, 2 years ago. My bike starts right up cold or hot and run's great. I've been over Sonora Pass at 10,000 ft in 100 degree weather and no problems. I went to Utah last year and the bike started running bad at high elevation idealing around the park in heavy traffic. I had bought some 95 oct. gas in Vegas that was bad because I filled up with 97 and never had another problem. Someone said the mat keeps the carb's from boiling the gas, I thought that was the problem in Utah at first but realized later it was the gas. If I have to remove the carb's again I will put it back, just for peace of mind. Good Luck One more thing I live in a hot part of Calif. San Joaquin Valley summer 100 degrees for a month.
I'm going to guess it is most needed when the bike is up to high temps. Them shutdown while you run in the store. All the heat is rising no air moving as the bike is parked. Another thought might be if you are stuck in traffic on a really hot day.I don't think it would be a really big deal if not installed but it could be a pain for Honda if they did not use it. If just 1 customer out of 100 has an issue and calls that would keep them pretty busy. :)

#8 ·
I just reread my post and the octane I listed was wrong, not 95 and 97 but 85 and 87. I run 87 oct. all the time in my bike. Dave is right the mat was left out by mistake, I forgot to put it in until the carbs were back on. It is easier to put the hoses back on without the mat.

#9 ·
I just bought a four tube Mercury gauge I found cheap somewhere. Or, use a couple dial vacuum gauges.

As stated, the mat should stay there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.