Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 GL1800. As I age and get more stiff I find it difficult to mount and dismount without dragging my leg across the back seat. I have been told that I should stand on the front peg and then try tossing my leg over. I'm a big guy (400lbs) will the side stand and peg support me?

·
Administrator
58,950 Posts
I'm about 280 lbs with my gear on.
I always put my bike up on the Center Stand, and I put my full weight on the pegs, and then step up onto the Passenger foot rest, and then swing my leg up and over the back rest.

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
I would not worry about the sidestand but there have been some who had peg failures especially on the GL1800.
I have heard of 1500 pegs breaking off but never an 1800, other than me when I caught 1 on a highway reflector.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Lots of info on pegs breaking off -

gl1800 foot peg breaking - Google Search

The first link has plenty of examples (apologies in advance if we're not supposed to cross-link) -

Broken foot peg mounting bracket.

... and another ...

·
Administrator
58,950 Posts

The first link has plenty of examples (apologies in advance if we're not supposed to cross-link) -

... and another ...

I followed all of those links, most referred to using the 1800's foot pegs on other bikes.
I stand on my pegs every time I ride the bike, never once worried about them breaking.
Not that it couldn't happen, but I have dropped a lot of bikes, and never lost a foot peg.

on the 1800, the foot pegs won't touch the ground in normal layovers.
Catching them on something like a post, or the edge of broken pavement would not be good.

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
I have heard of 1500 pegs breaking off but never an 1800, other than me when I caught 1 on a highway reflector.
I can remember one of our members had one fail. I can remember his remarks about always being sure to place you foot as far inboard as possible to prevent failure.
I don't think it is common issue but the consequences can be so serious. I did have one 1500 fail on one of my bikes but that was either the pivot pin or the hole had worn out so bad. Keep in mind the OP weighs 400# and wonders if it will be safe.
It would probably be a good idea to add peg inspection to your maintenance list. I rarely stand on the pegs on the highway to stretch. Could you imagine a failure then?

·
Registered
1995 GL1500
8 Posts
I have a 2008 GL1800. As I age and get more stiff I find it difficult to mount and dismount without dragging my leg across the back seat. I have been told that I should stand on the front peg and then try tossing my leg over. I'm a big guy (400lbs) will the side stand and peg support me?
I feel your pain on this one, literally. When I first got my 1500 I asked a coworker how to get my old arthritic leg over the seat. He told me he will put his right foot on the passenger foot rest, then grab the cuff of his pants leg and lift it up over to the other side. To get off, slide off the left side until your right leg is up where you can reach the cuff and pull it over.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I followed all of those links, most referred to using the 1800's foot pegs on other bikes.
Huh. On my PC the first Google link gives a page of search results and the majority of them go to the major GL1800 forums we're all used to. (-riders, -owners, -facts, -docs) The second two links go to those same GL1800 forums and talk about GL1800's, not other bikes.

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts

... and another ...

That's hardly like there are a rash of them breaking, 2 threads 1 from 2007 and 1 from 2012.

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
At 400 lbs don't step on the end of the peg anyway, step close to the inside.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nobody said it was a rash, but if you read those two threads as you said, you'd have noticed there are 7 or 8 people who chime in to say it happened to them or someone they knew. Anecdotal yes, but enough that I will think twice before I stand on the pegs at highway speeds.

·
Registered
'90 1500; '00 1500
15 Posts
If you're concerned with the peg breaking, you could use some clamps and braided stainless cable to suspend the peg or its bracket against a more structural part of the bike (under the fairing obv) so the peg and/or bracket can't flex too much and shares load with a stronger point. Shouldn't be too noticeable if you can find a good spot, just be careful where you mount it for left-right horizontal forces since the frame is of course built for back-front and vertical.
Whatever you find to help with the peg concern, I would like to throw out a reminder that a stand puck will be a good idea to not sink into unexpectedly soft surfaces. The motion of lifting yourself on the peg adds a lot of extra downward force on the stand so spreading that contact area out will be pretty important. There are some that clamp around the foot of the stand so you don't have to manually place it each time which is annoying for me. Personally I just strapped a baby shoe onto mine to avoid it sinking into grass. Works great, gets a laugh. Think you'll need something a little sturdier though. Steel toe maybe? :LOL:

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
If you're concerned with the peg breaking, you could use some clamps and braided stainless cable to suspend the peg or its bracket against a more structural part of the bike (under the fairing obv) so the peg and/or bracket can't flex too much and shares load with a stronger point.
How would you get your foot on the peg if it was suspended by a cable far enough out on it to have any effect?

·
Administrator
22,284 Posts
I had a peg break, at speed, long ago on a much smaller bike, but...
For that to happen, you have to be standing on the peg.

I have also had a side stand bolt break on the 12, and the stand itself broke when some drunk backed into the bike. So, I think I'd be more worried about the stand than the pegs.

Normally I don't like to alter stock systems, but have you considered floorboards? Some of those look pretty strong.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts