Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
'90 1500; '00 1500
15 Posts
How would you get your foot on the peg if it was suspended by a cable far enough out on it to have any effect?
Clamp would be on the inner side of the peg or bracket, and cables under tension. Not a bulletproof idea but should remove some of the repetitive stress and weakening of the metal if no other solutions can be found.

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
Clamp would be on the inner side of the peg or bracket, and cables under tension. Not a bulletproof idea but should remove some of the repetitive stress and weakening of the metal if no other solutions can be found.
Which would only keep the peg from being lost if it broke off, would offer almost 0 support.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Back up to the passenger seat, put your butt on it, and swing your right leg over. Then slide down to the rider's seat. Using the footpeg to hoist 400 lbs (much more than 400 lbs force, as you are accelerating that mass upward) is not a good idea. If dead set on doing it, get a machinest to make a billet left peg mount to replace the stock cast one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd be concerned more of levering the bike up of the side stand and over on me if I was a larger person. I get away with of but an only 180 lbs, maybe 200 in my gear.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 GL1800. As I age and get more stiff I find it difficult to mount and dismount without dragging my leg across the back seat. I have been told that I should stand on the front peg and then try tossing my leg over. I'm a big guy (400lbs) will the side stand and peg support me?
I'm 5'5", 150 lbs ( I was 190 a year ago). I mount my 2008 with the side stand down and I use the driver's peg so I can swing my right leg over the passenger's seat. I use to stand on the ground and bring my right leg over the gas tank but I got really tired of removing the scuff makes my shoe would make.
Just check the peg welds and the side stand as attached to the bike every so often.

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
I mounted mine from the ground until I put a backrest on it. Now I use the foot peg. I only weigh about 210 though.

Reactions: RobertW332

·
Registered
1 Posts
@RobertW332 the wife likes to get on the bike with it on the kickstand and before me. I get on after her and use the left peg. No issues so far, but I am about half your weight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2008 GL1800. As I age and get more stiff I find it difficult to mount and dismount without dragging my leg across the back seat. I have been told that I should stand on the front peg and then try tossing my leg over. I'm a big guy (400lbs) will the side stand and peg support me?
Hi,
Maybe you should consider a roll off stand for your 1800. I have one and it's nice, as im sitting on the bike and I want to put it on the center stand before I shut the bike off, I just put it in reverse put my left foot on the center stand and press the start button and the bike rides right up on the stand, when I'm ready to go for a ride, I put it in 1st gear let the clutch out slowly and the bike rolls right off the stand. I'm about 280 lbs abe stand on my pegs all the time. Note: if the bike is on the center stand and you start it up, I'd be careful getting off and on the bike while its running (like your getting it up to operating temperature), I started mine up last week and as I was dismounting the toe of my new boots hit the gear shifter and went into 1st gear and well it's the first time I ever dropped a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I have pretty severe rheumatoid arthritis and have some difficulty getting on and off the 1500. I wouldn't rely on the pegs and sidestand and I'm only 215lb. What I do is grab the cuff of my right pants leg and lift my leg over the seat.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I also have a 2008 1800 and have been using the peg to mount for some time. I also have hold of the handle bars and put quite a bit of weight on them as I'm mounting.

·
Administrator
58,996 Posts
don't recall if I posted here yet? not on page 2 anyway.
I always put my bike on the Center Stand,
stand on the front peg first, move to the passenger foot rest,
and swing my leg up and over the backrest.
I weigh about 270ish

·
Registered
730 Posts
Me - I can still simply step over the 1500 on side or center stand and sit down. But I'm a tall guy, 36" inseam, weigh about 175.

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
I have been stepping on the driver side footpeg for many years to mount my Goldwings. It makes it easier to get on because I always have had a backrest to swing my leg over. Never had any problem with the footpeg or sidestand on any of them. I weigh about 190 lbs.

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
Try mounting from the right side using the foot peg. Hands on grips, right foot on peg, step up and over.
And tip the bike over.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
So with the bike on the side stand you guys believe its impossible to mount from the right side using the foot pegs without tipping the bike over on top of yourself? Surprised two knowledgeable people like yourselves actually believe that.

·
Administrator
58,996 Posts
So with the bike on the side stand you guys believe its impossible to mount from the right side using the foot pegs without tipping the bike over on top of yourself? Surprised two knowledgeable people like yourselves actually believe that.
oh, I tried it twice, once it was the '94 was on top of me, and the 2nd time, on the 1800 it was headed over towards me and I got off of it.

I always use the Center Stand, and can mount up from either side.

if you are a lightweight, you can get away with it, but at 280 lbs the answer is don't do it.

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
I might get away with that at my weight but the OP is 2 of me so I doubt it. And do you think the right peg is stronger than the left?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts