Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
59,035 Posts
So with the bike on the side stand you guys believe its impossible to mount from the right side using the foot pegs without tipping the bike over on top of yourself? Surprised two knowledgeable people like yourselves actually believe that.
Gary,

not every one is as nimble as your are.
I got hit by a Semi truck back in 2008, and that has caused me to loose my balance at the slightest bit of "off balance".

When I climb up on my bike, I mean it literally: I climb up on it, pulling on the handlebars to keep myself from falling to the floor.... that accident destroyed the inner ear balance mechanism, and I can fall to the floor just walking down the hall in my home...... I have to hold onto the walls to keep from falling down.

So, quit professing that everyone can do what you can do......
the PO at 400 lbs would not be able to use the right side to mount up, the bike would be on top of him in a flash.... he has a real concern at wondering if the Pegs will hold him...

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
AZ1800
I might get away with that at my weight but the OP is 2 of me so I doubt it. And do you think the right peg is stronger than the left?
John, of course I don't think the right peg is stronger then the left, however, when you are mounting from the left side and the bike is on the side stand you are on what I consider the low side. If you mount from the right side and the bike is on the side stand you are on what I consider the high side. By mounting from the high side and keeping your foot close to the pivot point of the peg, and leaning your weight on the handlebars, you can keep your weight over the center of the bike and have more stability then trying to pull yourself up from the left side.
Don't want to get into a pissing contest with you, but, as the OP is a heavy person I honestly feel that this would be an easier way for him to mount the bike considering he has difficult putting the bike on the center stand.

·
Registered
1995 GL1500
8 Posts
Try mounting from the right side using the foot peg. Hands on grips, right foot on peg, step up and over.
My 6 year old granddaughter got on the right floorboard one day and the bike tipped over. Luckilly, the crash bars caught it and she didn't get hurt. After that I always park it where she cant get on the right side.

I know my 280 pounds could not get on from the right side if I step on the boards.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
My 6 year old granddaughter got on the right floorboard one day and the bike tipped over. Luckilly, the crash bars caught it and she didn't get hurt. After that I always park it where she cant get on the right side.

I know my 280 pounds could not get on from the right side if I step on the boards.
Well I guess if your 6 year old granddaughter almost tipped the bike over it might not be a good ideal for the OP to try it. Certainly don't want anyone getting hurt on something I recommended.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I have begun a regime of stretching each morning. It was originally to help my sciatica. I now am a bit more flexible and am able to get my leg higher as I mount and dismount. I wish I were tall enough to step over like some.

·
Administrator
59,035 Posts
not to go on a rampage, but when the bike is on the sidestand, and you are on the right side.
it is very easy to pull the bike over and have it go down.
my 94SE did that and the right foot peg ended up on my right ankle....
it took me a long time, to get my left leg moved around to where I could push the bike up and get my right foot away from the bike.

on my 1800 that I have now, I tried one time to mount it from the right side, it started over immediately, and I turned loose of the handlebars, and let it go back to the sidestand....

at 78 now, it is far safer for me to put it up on the Center Stand, so I can mount from either side safely.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
John, no need to go on a rampage. You and dave contribute a tremendous amount of knowledge to this forum. After reading your experiences when mounting from the right side I totally agree with you that it would be a bad idea for a very heavy person to attempt mounting from the right side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m 62 and 180# on a bad day (Friday after thanksgiving) and I could tip my ‘05 over by mounting from the right side using the foot peg while the bike is on the side stand. But I have watched large riders mount from the right side by sliding their left leg across the seat, not using the peg. Sometimes we have good right legs, sometimes a good left leg.
I have the fish chrome side stand on mine and at my weight stand on the peg and mount It like a horse with 1 foot in the stirrup From the left side. I have heard of those thin fish side stands breaking (might be why they aren't made anymore), it mine has held up since 05.
Ever watch Harley riders mount/dismount from the right? They say that side stand locks in, but we watched one go over hitting another black and chrome Harley. Sad.

·
Administrator
59,035 Posts
this is the side stand on mine, never knew who made it, came with the bike.
It has a large footprint and rarely ever sinks into asphalt, on gravel it is solid as a rock.
On hard dirt, same, good and solid.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
It has a large footprint and rarely ever sinks into asphalt, on gravel it is solid as a rock.

My god John, there is no way I would mount my bike from the left side with that flimsy side stand. You will be way better off learning to mount from the right side.

Now John, before you go on a rampage I am only kidding with you, I know you have a sense of humor from past posts and thats what this is a joke LOL :)

·
Administrator
59,035 Posts
nah, I like a little fun.....

I think a lot of it at 78, my hips don't swivel as much as they used to :(
I'm not able to lift my leg up and over the bike at all anymore. :cautious:

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
When riding 2 up (most of the time) I always mount from the right. Lift the left leg, do a little hop forward and set down. Make sure the bike is parked on a level surface just in case you pull on the grip.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I appreciate all your feedback. I began a regime of stretching out each morning a week or so back and I am finding that I can get my leg over easier. I also find I need to place my left foot further out and forward when I get on or off the bike. Back in 2008 a month after I got the bike we road from Chicago to Duluth. We road in heavy rain until we were in NA Ethernet Wisconsin. We pulled off for gas and a break. I pulled up to the pump and realized I couldn’t get off. I had my buddy grab my left arm and pull until I was off. The long damp ride had all of us stiff. It wasn easy to get back on but after a 45 min break we climbed back on our bikes and hit the road.

·
Administrator
59,035 Posts
I fell and hurt my right shoulder a year ago March.
It struck a rounded rock and totally immobilized the shoulder....
had to go to Physical Therapy for 3 months which zeroed out my medical coverage for such, after which I never went back again. I have to practice stretching exercise on it every day, or it stiffens up and I can't use it.

My legs are much the same, either use them or they try to lock up.... getting older ain't for the Faint of Heart.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I appreciate all your feedback. I began a regime of stretching out each morning a week or so back and I am finding that I can get my leg over easier. I also find I need to place my left foot further out and forward when I get on or off the bike. Back in 2008 a month after I got the bike we road from Chicago to Duluth. We road in heavy rain until we were in NA Ethernet Wisconsin. We pulled off for gas and a break. I pulled up to the pump and realized I couldn’t get off. I had my buddy grab my left arm and pull until I was off. The long damp ride had all of us stiff. It wasn easy to get back on but after a 45 min break we climbed back on our bikes and

41 - 60 of 60 Posts