Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an 88 1500, bogs down, idle goes up and down, usual 88 stuff. I probably have an air leak somewhere, but was wondering can you change the carb jets without removing the carbs.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
No. If it surges up-down at idle, probably time for a new fuel auto shut off valve located to the right of gas cap. K&L quit making them I understand, so good luck finding one.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum doncan
The jets are an out of bike carbs job.
You may be on the right track of air leak. The vacuum lines develop holes and you need to do a test with an unlit propane torch on low volume along each hose as there may be multiple leaks.
How much up and down on the RPMs?

Has this bike had a history of sitting for any length of time? What is it's history of running?
How long have you had this bike?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carbs

I have had the bike about two weeks, it was a one owner, the owner died and the son got the bike. He thought it had been setting about a year. The bike has 45k miles. Very clean. Why did Honda put carbs on wings for so long? I know they had special editions in 85 and 86 with fi, why did they not keep putting fi on the wing?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have had the bike about two weeks, it was a one owner, the owner died and the son got the bike. He thought it had been setting about a year. The bike has 45k miles. Very clean. Why did Honda put carbs on wings for so long? I know they had special editions in 85 and 86 with fi, why did they not keep putting fi on the wing?
I couldn't resist replying to this. Not meant to offend me, but here is my experience. I have an '85 LTD with fuel injection. The bike was in bad condition when I got it, but I had very little trouble (but a lot of work) getting it going mechanically. At least 90% of the problems I have had with it have been with the electronics that control the FI and ignition. It is currently running, but I no longer trust it. It can just go dead for no reason, and tracking down electronic problems is way more difficult than simple electrical issues. Honda made these bikes for 2 years, '85 and '85, then stopped. The '87, still a 1200 four, was carbed. All of the 1500s were carbed. My guess is Honda got tired of all the issues with these bikes and went back to something more reliable. Fortunately the 1500 only has two carbs, unfortunately, because of the bikes design, they are a real pain to get to. But I would rather do a whole lot of mechanical work than mess with electronics anyday.

BTW, my former supervisor rode a '93 1500 for 11 years and over 90,000 miles before the transmission went out on him. He replaced it with an 1800. But he never had any carb problems during that time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.