Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just found a screw in my tire that I must of run over sometime. It is right in the middle of the tread & is not leaking air (yet). The motorcycle shop says you can't plug or patch a motorcycle tire. Any truth to this before I blow a $100.00 bucks on a new tire.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

outlawearl wrote:
I just found a screw in my tire that I must of run over sometime. It is right in the middle of the tread & is not leaking air (yet). The motorcycle shop says you can't plug or patch a motorcycle tire. Any truth to this before I blow a $100.00 bucks on a new tire.
It's one of those things that some people will tell you you can andothers will say you can't. If it's the front I'd probably get a new tire. If it's the rear I'd go ahead and plug it, but I'd plug it with one of those plug-patches that you have to install from the inside... it still means having to remove the tire from the rim.

You could simply put a regular plug in, but you do that at your own risk. If youdo the regular plug, keep a close eye on it.

These are just things that I might do, but I'm not telling you that you should do it... it's totally up to you weather to take the shop's advice or not.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

If it's a "Tubeless Tire" you can plug it, but only use an "Umbrella plug" or "Mushroom plug" it opens on the inside of the tire so it's much safer!

If it's a front tire I'd buy a new one right away!

I have a tube tire in the rear and have several miles on a regular tube type patch in it !

Can't plug a "Tube Tire" ,can only "patch them"!

Bottom line is what's your life worth?

The price of a tire? It's your call?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

outlawearl wrote:
outlawearl , if the tire cord isn't damaged, the puncture isn't too large & the repair done correctly a motorcycle tire can be repaired. Problem is; to do it correctly the tire & wheel must be removed then the tire removed from the rim, thenre-assembled& re-balanced. As long as that much labor is put into the process you might just as well install a new tire while it's apart.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have used plugs on tires for years (okay only a couple of times I don't pick up that many nails) and never had a problem. Maybe it is my scottish blood, but buying a new tire when you can plug a small hole...

of course, if the tire has been run flat, that is whole different story

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I agree with Wingdawg. As a retired motor cop, we never plugged tires. It just wasn't worth the chance of the plug or tire failing when we needed them most.

Also, we never plugged tires on the cruisers even if we got a puncture in a new tire.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I agree with Wingdawg as well...

Plug a tire with an emergency kit to get yourself to the nearest replacement tire.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jdf wrote:
I agree with Wingdawg. As a retired motor cop, we never plugged tires. It just wasn't worth the chance of the plug or tire failing when we needed them most.
Of course there are a couple of differences involved. I can see not plugging tires on apolice vehiclesince there's always the possibility of high speed operation in areas not of your choosing. Also you didn't have to buy the tires.

Basically a good repair on a bike tire shouldn't bedangerous. Several of the tire manufacturers don't try to prohibit the practice and they certainly would in the sue-happy US if there was much of an elevated risk in doing so. It comes down to the same thing as the choice of tires and oils, personal choice. There are some of us who can afford to ride new bikes, buy new tires, etc. Were I one of them I might do the same. But living on a fixed income I couldn't see tossing a nearly new tire for a small puncture in the tread if it met the criteria recommended by the manufacturer. Little too much Scot blood in the DNA. I've done it in the past on my cars, trucks and bikes and never had a failure. I can't see why a plug should be dangerous in a small hole, it the plug did fail it's not likely it would cause a sudden collapse of the tire.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

glad to know I am not the only thrifty scot exavid... will be wearing my kilt at a harry potter thing tonight... but will leave to another to play the pipes

now all we need is some haggis!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I put a new bridgestone on my 1800 on the 15th march last ,,,on the morning of the 17th on the way to partake in the st patricks day parade I ran over a piece of metal on the road and down the tyre went ,slowly..I stopped and got out my repair kit and plugged the hole blew the tyre up and carried on ,,,But I did not feel safe ...for the rest of that day I was on tender hooks driving the bike in case the plug blew out ..so the next morning I went and bought another new bridgestone and put it on ,,I scrapped the other tyre ...With only 2 wheels on the road ,you cannot take the chance with your life for the sake of a few dollars ,,My advice is ..your life is worth more than the price of a new tyre ....change the tyre ....Ciaran

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
glad to know I am not the only thrifty scot exavid... will be wearing my kilt at a harry potter thing tonight... but will leave to another to play the pipes

now all we need is some haggis!
My daughter plays the pipes, and haggis isn't too bad with enough athelbros!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
I put a new bridgestone on my 1800 on the 15th march last ...Ciaran
Wow, I can see REDWING got to ya!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I just dont like Dunlops in the wet ,I had dunlops on my 1500 and never liked them ,I tried them on the 1800 and took them off again ,,I am not a slow rider and fairly hammer into bends when I am on my own,I tried AVON and they were excellent ,,,The bridgestones are also excellent ,,I am intrested to see how much mileage I get out of them ..I will let you all know ...

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Just curious has anyone ever seen a plug fail that is working. I have plugged a few tires both front and back. If my tread is low or I am planning on heading out for one of my multi state road trips then I may replace the tire. But ever time I have pluged a tire I have religiously rechecked the air every time I stoped for several hundred miles and several days. If it has good tread, and it doesn't leak why is it any more risk then a new tire. Maybe plugs do fail and I just haven't heard of it so thats why I am asking.:baffled::baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

travelinmays wrote:
Just curious has anyone ever seen a plug fail that is working. I have plugged a few tires both front and back. If my tread is low or I am planning on heading out for one of my multi state road trips then I may replace the tire. But ever time I have pluged a tire I have religiously rechecked the air every time I stoped for several hundred miles and several days. If it has good tread, and it doesn't leak why is it any more risk then a new tire. Maybe plugs do fail and I just haven't heard of it so thats why I am asking.
travelinmays, improper type or improperly installed plugs tend to work their way loose & leak. Never have seen one actually blow out but have seen a few leak slowly in my life time.

One BIG advantage to tubeless tires (at least in my estimation) is they don't tend to blow out & suddenly lose ALL air pressure, they tend to shed air slowly in a failure mode sothe rider or driver has time to slow down & react. On the other hand tube type tires are more prone to complete loss of air as the tube tears after a slight puncture & riding.

I tend to ride very fast so would never plug a tire externally as a permanent repair. A properly removed & patch/plugged tire should be good for normal speeds without any problems (read "Properly Done").

I do a lot of high speed auto testing with my regular job so we have certain protocol for tire repairs & one is that no tire repair can be driven at high speed. Even some tire manufactures lower their tires speed rating if repaired (especially the Z rated tires). High speed builds lots of tire heat & high tire carcass heat tends to soften repair glue. Also high tire speed tends to distort the tire's outer dimensions so can cause a working of the rubber around the repair area.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me to do an on-road type repair to complete a trip but I would change it out when convenient. As a tire wears thinner the temp plug has very little tire thickness to grip to & can work around in the thin tire rubber & start leaking.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I had a small finishing nail in my rear tire, it was down in the groove of the tread and went in at an angle, I took it off the rim andput a patch on the tire, it has never given me any problem, I have over 2000 miles since the repair. I know guys who run tires with patches untill the tires wears out without a problem. If you know how to properly put on a patch it will work just fine. If it is a large hole then that is a different subject. :)

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info Twisty. I reckon that so far I have just been lucky. There is a problem with being so darn lucky though. Some times its bad luck.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

I've plugged several tyres over the years (with the black string plugs) and never had problems. Rode till the tyre was worn out. This was for holes caused by screws & nails.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
I just dont like Dunlops in the wet ,I had dunlops on my 1500 and never liked them ,I tried them on the 1800 and took them off again ,,The bridgestones are also excellent ,,I am intrested to see how much mileage I get out of them ..I will let you all know ...
Hey wexman :waving:Your right. :clapper: I wouldn't put dunlops on my Honda 50. :whip:

My neighbour got 11300 (s)miles out of the first set of Stones. He hopes to get more out of this present set, :jumper: they are a class tyre in wet or dry. :hovering:

:3sum::18red::3sum:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.