Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I guess with all the problems they were having with malware they locked the site down

"THE AMAZING "UNDERWATER" PC-680 ODYSSEY BATTERY

Some here may recall that last November my house burned to the ground -- and as it turned out, my 'Wing not only melted but was submerged in a couple of feet of firefighters' water. Just before the salvage company [sent by Progressive insurance company] came to pick up the bike, I removed anything that seemed intact, for my next GL1200
The obvious extras were the two sets (driver + passenger) of Markland foot boards, heel-toe shifter, and highway boards.

As an afterthought, just minutes before the salvage guy arrived, I removed the PC-680 ODYSSEY BATTERY that had been through the intense heat of a fire, under water, and was now dead as a door nail (according to my trusty volt meter). Turning it upside down (NOT recommended with a conventional battery !) water came spilling out of its outer jacket. Still I figured, what the heck it was only two years old and still a pup.
So I hooked it up (in my hotel room
) to a Schumbacher XC10, 10-AMP charger [that has different settings for different types of batteries] set to 2 amps (for a slow recharge), and forgot about it for nearly a week. Although at first ALL the charger's lights were flashing (showing maximum charging rate -- no surprise there), after a day or two it settled down seeming to be fully charged. I was VERY skeptical that this battery will EVER be normal again. But then I did THE test.

After it was fully charged according to the volt meter (something above 12 volts, closer to 13), I let it stand and day after day checked the voltage. That rascal held the 12-plus volt charge for over one week, now going on two. Heck, I'm putting that PC-680 ODYSSEY in my "new" Aspy, soon as I get my hands on the bike !
"

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,907 Posts
Great way to start. Charge battery install wing. :claps:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
I always swear by Odyssey batteries, as opposed to swearing at Other makes. I have one in my Yamaha Virago for 7 years now, and that bike sits outdoors under a cover in all weather when not being ridden.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
So sorry to hear about your house Tricky.Hope everything works out for you with the insurance companys.:praying::praying:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
There is a good reason why you will find an Oddyssey battery (under a different label) in all military vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.