Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Been doing a lot of shopping for cheaper insurance rates and found one. Mantha Insurance. Their underwriter is by Aviva. Their web site is www.manthainsurance.com . my wife (ak-Trouble) called them and got insurance by them for $1100.00. Thats with a m2 license and a 09 Suzuki C90T 1500. Full coverage with $1000.00 deductable. Riders plus wants for me $1250.00 as Mantha wants $845.00 with full coverage for my 02 1800. We all have clean records so far. We dealt with Jason, a real person wnen she called the canadian phone # from the web site. he's on extension 272. Hopefully this will help someones pocket book. Tony:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
305 Posts
imported post

Here in Cape Breton, the best (cheapest) rate I could find for my '81 GL1100 was about $350 annually. However, that is basic P.L/P.D., no collision, no fire or theft.
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

Ava .... what's a M2 class license? Motorcycle and car? :baffled:

It's been 13 years since I was last licensed in Ontario and will be moving back this fall. - Thanks for the 'heads up' on the insurer. :clapper: :waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
imported post

Good deal, provided you don't live in Manitoba or Saskatchewan. We must buy govt run insurance.

This usually gets us going, it's a rip-off.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
476 Posts
imported post

I just got full coverage from progressive for my 2007 Goldwing. It was $362 with $100 deductible. ON my 85 v65 Magna it's only liability but it's $92 per year. Not sure what the rates would be or if they operate in Canada.:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
imported post

I have Progressive also and my full coverage with $250 deductible for my 84 wing is $276 annually
 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
60,196 Posts
imported post

I had Progressive on my gl1500.

My rate last year was $136/year for full comp/coll/theft/full replacement value and $100 deductible.

The policy was only 3 months old after the renewal when it paid off in spades.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,525 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Ava .... what's a M2 class license? Motorcycle and car? :baffled:

It's been 13 years since I was last licensed in Ontario and will be moving back this fall. - Thanks for the 'heads up' on the insurer. :clapper: :waving:
Ontario has graduated licencing. M1 is a beginners which you receive after a written test and this allows you to ride in daylight hours with no passengers and not on freeeways. Also, zero tolerence on alcohol This is only good for 90 days during which time you must take the ministry test or the Safety course and then graduate to an M2 which now allows you to drive at night, carry passengers and drive on freeways. Still zero tolerence on alcohol. The one thing that a lot of people don't know is that your M1 and M2 are tied to your G licence and if you're M1 or M2 is revoked for moving violations, they take your G also. Any time after 22 months and up to 5 years you can then take your M2 exit test (road test) and graduate to a full M licence.

Dusty, I would head to the Licence Bureau as soon as you get moved to Onatrio and hopefully they will just transfer your licence to an Ontario licence to save you a lot of grief. I know there is a time limit on getting it done, since I know a guy at work who moved in from the UK and waited too long and then had to go through the full monty to get his M licence.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
Dusty, I would head to the Licence Bureau as soon as you get moved to Onatrio and hopefully they will just transfer your licence to an Ontario licence to save you a lot of grief. I know there is a time limit on getting it done, since I know a guy at work who moved in from the UK and waited too long and then had to go through the full monty to get his M licence.
If you move to Ontario from the UK, it doesn't matter how long you wait - you will have to do the full exam, written and practical test, both for car and motorcycle.

I had to do the same thing moving from Ontario to Ohio. They don't recognize out-of-country licenses, so they treated me as if I had never had a license, and had to start from scratch.

Funny though - they recognize each others' speeding tickets. Get a speeding ticket in Ontario, get points on your Ohio license, and vice versa.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,525 Posts
imported post

They may have changed it now with the graduated licence. When this co-worker moved here thay just gave him an Ontario DL but he didn't bother getting his M. This was all before graduated licencing. When he went to get his M they told him he should have done it when he first came to Ontario and then he wouldn't have had to go through the new process.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,048 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I had Progressive on my gl1500.

My rate last year was $136/year for full comp/coll/theft/full replacement value and $100 deductible.

The policy was only 3 months old after the renewal when it paid off in spades.
Amazing how the prices very across the states.. I just wentwith Progressive and with PL/ PD and uninsured it was just shy of $300.. To get what you have was over $400.....

I changed to Progressive for the tow service they have.. They were $55 more then I was paying...:?:?:?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
177 Posts
imported post

JamesGang wrote:
Here in Cape Breton, the best (cheapest) rate I could find for my '81 GL1100 was about $350 annually. However, that is basic P.L/P.D., no collision, no fire or theft.
Just took out PL/PD ($1 million, they don't do $2M) with Primmum on my '80 GL1100. $85. with $100 deductible.



If I had wanted fire & theft they wanted an official evaluation + pics. All for a bike worth maybe $1500.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
Good deal, provided you don't live in Manitoba or Saskatchewan. We must buy govt run insurance.

This usually gets us going, it's a rip-off.
C'mon EB - throw the number out there :X. What is it this year - $2600 :shock:eek:r some damn thing. Thank the stars for 'merit discounts' that bring it down to about $1950 or so. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGG. :whip::headbanger::cussing::alco::fighting:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
465 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
Dusty, I would head to the Licence Bureau as soon as you get moved to Onatrio and hopefully they will just transfer your licence to an Ontario licence to save you a lot of grief. I know there is a time limit on getting it done, since I know a guy at work who moved in from the UK and waited too long and then had to go through the full monty to get his M licence.
If you move to Ontario from the UK, it doesn't matter how long you wait - you will have to do the full exam, written and practical test, both for car and motorcycle.

I had to do the same thing moving from Ontario to Ohio. They don't recognize out-of-country licenses, so they treated me as if I had never had a license, and had to start from scratch.

Funny though - they recognize each others' speeding tickets. Get a speeding ticket in Ontario, get points on your Ohio license, and vice versa.
Yep. I had to redo both for car and bike when I moved to Ohio from BC. They actually let me keep my BC drivers licence when I got my new OH one. Kinda chuckle thinking it would be like having a get out of jail free card.:D

If I recall correctly, because it was many years ago that when I moved from Ontario to BC it was just a simple drop in and get my new licence.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
imported post

HogansWing wrote:
Yep. I had to redo both for car and bike when I moved to Ohio from BC. They actually let me keep my BC drivers licence when I got my new OH one. Kinda chuckle thinking it would be like having a get out of jail free card.:D
I did the exact same thing, for the exact same reason!! :)

Good until the Ontario one expired, anyway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

When I had my Golding insurance cost about $65 a year.
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

Interesting timing AVA, buddy at hockey mentioned them yesterday, never heard of them. when he mentioned the underwriter & AVIVA, I told him they were the company that came up with a fictitious claim on my policy & tried to jack my rates a couple of years ago. Here is the thread. they do seem to have good rates.

Insurance heads up
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I read your insurance headache. My wife would have loved to be involved in that scam. They didn't nickname her the court pit bull for nothing. When in court she'd go for the jugulars and never let go. lol. Glad it all worked out. Going to be up your way in June. Heading for Newboro to see her as--le dad. Well she is as i'm going over to the neighbors place. Were going to ride up to Smith Falls and towards Perth way home. Tony:waving:
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

Great, let us know when & we'll have the coffee ready. :waving:
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

Just spoke with Jason also & got a $763.00 quote - full coverage - which is the same as my old policy with basic .
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top