Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I'm going to look at (and hopefully buy!)a Canadian import '92 1500 Aspencade tomorrow. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help?

1) What if any are the differences between Canadian and UK bikes? It was imported in 1998 and has MPH clocks.

2) Can you get clear / LED front indicators?

Many thanks,

Marc

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Welcome Marc. The Canadian and US models are much the same, and higher spec than the UM models. All the wiring is already fitted for the likes of CB radio, trunk spoiler light, cornering lights and other goodies. UK models have none of that.

You can fit the later (1998-2000) clear front indicator lenses, but you will also need the short wire harness/bulbholders as the bulbs are different than on the earlier orange indicators.
The rear trunk indicators come complete with the whole trunk light assembly, and 1998-2000 units are a direct replacement for the earlier assembly.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

hux wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to look at (and hopefully buy!)a Canadian import '92 1500 Aspencade tomorrow. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help?

1) What if any are the differences between Canadian and UK bikes? It was imported in 1998 and has MPH clocks.

2) Can you get clear / LED front indicators?

Many thanks,

Marc
Then it's not a true Canadian Import, as all Canadian bikes are in Kilometers. They do however have a much smaller blue number MPH reading on the speedometer, but all mileage is in Kilometers.

It may have been originally from the US, imported to Canada and is now in your hands.

Canadian bikes also have the always on headlight/position lights/running/tail lights

Here's a shot of my speedo taken a while back ....

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi, thanks for the replies much appreciated. I assumed that it had a UK speedo fitted when it was imported. I guess you can tell where it was originally from the VIN? Cheers, Marc

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Another hint is that the rear portion of the rider's bucket seat has 'Canadian Edition' embrossed on it. ;)

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Now that seems a pretty good clue! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Canadian bikes also have the always on headlight/position lights/running/tail lights
U.S. Goldwings have that feature as well.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Canadian versions are much friendlier and better looking,, just like the people.:cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

There are quite a few US model bikes imported into Canada... but, like Dusty says, unless the speedometer has been swapped, it's more likely a US model. Not saying it didn't live here a while; i.e. pass thru Canada. Whenever I lament high bike prices I look at the Euro scene - I feel for you guys.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
There are quite a few US model bikes imported into Canada...
Hey, I resemble that remark! :shock::badgrin:;):thumbsup:

I've imported 6 .... and counting. :readit:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I picked her up last night and what an experience! It was my first ride on a Wing and it was perfect for the 5 hour ride home, warm and dry with the stereo on :) However there are couple of bad points I hope you guys may be able to help with:

1) The cruise control doesn't work, the lights come on though. Any common faults to start with?
2) The handling off the motorway borders on scary. I haven't checked the tyre pressures or head bearings yet so hopefully it's just that. What air pressure would you recommend for the rear shock?
3) Finally the ride is terrible unless the road is smooth, it crashes and bangs over bumps, not what I was expecting!

Any help much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

1. Most likely sticking handlebar switches. Spray them with contact cleaner, it may free them up.

2 & 3. Replace the fork oil, it should improve handling very much.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks, both of the cruise control lights are coming up on the dash, would they do that if the switches were sticking? Standard weight fork oil?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Hux, good to see you posting and I see you are not too far from a few of us over on the Surrey/ Kent borders, assuming the Ashurst is the Kent one?:?

Most folks run their 1500 tyres at about 40 front, 40-42 rear, a little higher than the handbook will recommend, ( this tends to apply to the other models in the range too)
This gives a smoother ride with less affects of white lines etc and seems to prolong tyre life.
Check the date stamp on the tyres, since you are new to the bike, you would be wise going through checks of things like that as the PO may have neglected or not done things for a while.
If you fancy a scoot out to Croydon way, I am off work at the moment due to a shoulder op yesterday, but the coffee pot and kettle still work just fine, so PM me if you are at a loose end. Would be happy to pour over the bike with you, not that I am in any way an expert.

:waving::waving:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Sounds like both the On and Set lights of the Cruise Control are working
Sometimes it will take as much as 15 seconds and a resultant drop of 15mph, before the CC kicks in.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks guys, it's Ashurst in West Sussex so not far away. I'm going to give it a good going over this weekend after just checking the basics when I bought it. It has a full stainless system and the swing arm is good so there are positives! The only other thing is the clutch grabs when pulling away in first and there's a bit of a clunk. But it is pretty good otherwise and looks great in black :) I appreciate it's no sprtsbike but it doesn't seem to pull all that strongly, I'm hoping it's not a Californian model!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

For the cruise; push out on the clutch and brake levers as you set the cruise. Sometimes the aftermarket levers don't engage the safety switches on the master cylinders. On the clutch lever there is a replaceable bushing where the bolt goes down through, sometimes they wear out. Sometimes a piece of tape or 2 in the area where the safety switch hits the lever helps.
Tire pressure is very important to check before each ride. Old tires beyond 5 years will give a harsher ride. Do check them. 4 numbers in the box after the tire vin. First 2 are the week of the year, 0-52. Second 2 are the year of manufacture.
Old fork oil will effect the ride, how many miles on the bike?(put that in your profile)
You may need to check/change out the bushings in the forks.
Old stock springs in the front end could give the banging too.
Air in the rear shocks, if stock Honda air shock: max 57lbs.
If Progressive air shocks: max 100lbs.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

It's done 50k miles, I don't have any records for it so I'm not sure what's been done apart form oil and filter last July and a full stainless exhaust system. We'll see what this weekend in the garage turns up!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The clutch grabbing may be sediment in the slave cylinder. Changing the brake and clutch fluid yearly, 2 at max is important to keep them from gumming up the works, bleeding won't clean out the gum if there has been a lack of PM.

The clunking could be old oil in the crankcase as it lubes the clutch plates as well as the motor and transmission. New filter and oil on a regular 3,000-5,000 miles max. For you there across the pond, 5,000km-8,000km max.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.