Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Tire Motorcycle lift

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  96aspencade 
#1 ·
imported post

Has anyone looked at, or bought one of these?

I see they are on sale right now, curious if they are sturdy enough to lift an 1800.

Looking for feedback before I go look at them.

#4 ·
imported post

I don't have that exact model but I have one very similar, use it for my 1500 all the time. Its rated for up to 1500 lbs., never had a problem with it. Do make sure to strap the bike down to it before doing any wrenching.

#5 ·
imported post

Is that the one on sale for $79.95? If so, then yes it is a good deal.I've got one. Only lifts it up about 10" or so but that helps a lot. There are some problems balancing the bike fore and aft, since the lifting point under the engine is not at the centrer of gravity. You will need a couple of short pieces of 2x4 to place between the lift and the engine.

#7 ·
imported post

Here is mine in action lifting an 1100.

It makes a big difference being able to raise the bike just a little. Much easier to work on. I got mine last year - I think they were on sale for sixty something. A good deal.

Attachments

#10 ·
imported post

Sonny in Indiana wrote:
I have one similar to those, they work great. As mentioned, make sure you tie the bike off. Although I must admit, my home made lift works even better :)
I presume we might see your plans on the forum?

Very nice. Like the way it it dug into the floor, no tripping hazard, clear floor space.

Good job

#12 ·
imported post

I have the CTC lift and it is less than what I trust anymore.

Had my 1800 fall off it after it collapsed.:X

I'm on my 3rd one (2 warranty replacements) and will not buy another.

I understand the the Pit Bull is the best..

I even used the lift to remove the engine just the other day and it was leaking internally. Couldn't hold even the engine up for very long..

Cheap cheap cheap...

#13 ·
imported post

I've been using that CTC lift for about 3 years - one precaution, if the seal goes in the pump it is non replaceable, even from the company making the jack in CAL. I called & was told they could not sell rebuild kits for liability purposes. The "O" ring is not metric or imperial, it's a Chinese size not found in N America. I also tried a hydraulic shop & they said they call those jacks "disposable". :waving:

#14 ·
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
I've been using that CTC lift for about 3 years - one precaution, if the seal goes in the pump it is non replaceable, even from the company making the jack in CAL. I called & was told they could not sell rebuild kits for liability purposes. The "O" ring is not metric or imperial, it's a Chinese size not found in N America. I also tried a hydraulic shop & they said they call those jacks "disposable". :waving:
The places that sell "O" rings also usually sell kits to make your own. It' a cut and glue set-up.

Would I trust them with my life? Not for an instant but go for it ifanybody wants to.

#15 ·
imported post

Actually I found another perfect replacement "O" ring in another CTC jack ???

#17 ·
imported post

I agree Hawker, I have no problems with the Jack itself, made the timing belt change easy. :waving:

#18 ·
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
I agree Hawker, I have no problems with the Jack itself, made the timing belt change easy. :waving:
I picked one up last week, just for that purpose. I haven't had the chance to assemble it and try it out yet, as it's been too cold here for working in an unheated storage room. My buddy has had one for4-5 years and had to return the 1st one shortly after he got it, due to a leaking seal, but the replacement has been working just fine.

Dusty

#19 ·
imported post

The piston should be the same size in the $10.00 bottle jack, that's where I got my replacement "O" ring.

#21 ·
imported post

We bought that jack from Canadian tire too when it was on sale. I haven't tried it yet. But our friend with a full dresser Harley uses his all the time and he says it's awesome! That's why we bought one, because he recommended it to us.

#22 ·
imported post

I thought I'd try that too but it was easier to exchange the "O" ring.:waving:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.