Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1997 SE and I don't ever hear the cooling fan turn on. My temperature gage rises especially in town when its above 85 degrees, but I never hear the fan kick on. Shouldn't I be able to hear it when it comes on? I use to ride an 03' VTX and I could hear the fan when it came on. If I am not supposed to hear the fan engage, then why do you think my gage rises toward the Hot! side when in city traffic?

HELP!:baffled::stumped:

RICK

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

What!.....

thats good!...you just keep your eye on the guage and if it gets ugly then you got a problem....usually the fan switch....they only last so long

·
Premium Member
62,876 Posts
imported post

It's usually hotter where I'm at over in the valley and on a long light when it's 100 deg + mine will heat up but I can't hear my fans unless I lean over the bars.. When the fans do come on it's only for a few seconds.. My needle is at about the middle of the gage when they come on.. It never goes past that.........

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

I can hear mine on the 1500 as well as the 1800. The fans only come on when you are stationary because of lack of air flow.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

I cant hear the fan's on my 1996 Aspencade when they kick in and it is normally 90* to 110 * in summer.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
imported post

Simple test is to put some tissue or cloth ribbons on the side fairing outlets (the ones with the large grills on) and then let the engine run whilst stationary. When the fans kick in the ribbons will indicate an airflow. It's quite a good draft so you should be able to detect it . You could just use you hand to detect warm air, but ribbons are more technical and look better ! :cool:

Dont forget to remove them before going for a ride !

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if the gauge goes more than 75% of the gauge then something is wrong. the fans should kick in when it is at 50% and the bike fans will keep it under that. on really hot days it may get at 60% only if you are riding at 5mph xD once you gain some speed it should get at 50% or less.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Never heard my fans either, but put the bike on the stand, let idle until the temp gauge goes up a lot the put a finger into the fan and if the finger bleeds the fan is working.

On my 1500 I can see the fans ( when the wing is on the stand ) and you can just look and see if there on,
Although the streamer idea would be neat cuz if done right you could tell when in traffic and if some of the 3m reflective stuff was used it would be an attention getter at night.
Or someone can figure out how to put led lights on the streamers

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Just happen to check this last night on the 95, I couldn't hear mine. Even Idling they don't stay on for long.Have now found a new project needed.Bike has the added heater boxes, needa switch for the fans to stay on in cold weather. Yes it does get cold here, enough to snow.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hey William,

The gage has never went past 75% on the needle. And as you said, when I get back up to speed it drops back down to near 25% on the gage. So I guess I'm in the normal range.

Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I just fired my Interstate up after installing new timing belts and adding new coolant. My bike sat there quite a while before she warmed up and then went up to about 50% of the guage before the fans kicked on but I could hear them running.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.