Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt all calipers and foot pedal master cylinder so got lots of air in lines. Can not get to bleed steady stream. Not an easy jjob for one man to do by himself. This 83 is unlike bikes built before and after this as the foot brake is to operate right front caliper and rear caliper. Anyone have suggestion?

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
572 Posts
I just bled my 83.
The air gets trapped up by the handle bars.At times one needs to crack the hose at that joint to get rid of the air.
Since you are by your self a mighty vac from harbor freight might help.

Try:
1) Setting the bike on side stand and turning the handle bars to the left. Tie the the brake open and let set for a few hours.
2) Mighty vac

3) crack the line in front by the triple tree.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I think you bleed the front one first,then do the back,all the GW have the integrated brakes now,the 1500 bleeds front first,I don’t know if it makes any difference but fluid has a longer path to the front.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I would either use the gravity feed method or speed bleeders.

Gravity Feed - Place a clear vinyl tube on one of the bleed screws. Place the other end in a container for the used brake fluid. Open the valve and allow it to gravity feed. When there are no more bubbles in the tubing, you are finished with that caliper/cylinder. Do this for every bleed valve starting with the caliper valve furthest from the master cylinder. Do each caliper and slave cylinder like that. It is a slow method but it works.

My preferred method is to use Speed Bleeders. With Speed Bleeders you can do one caliper/cylinder at a time by simply placing a clear vinyl tube on one of the bleed screws. Put the other end in an empty container. Open the bleed screw and operate the lever or pedal associated with that bleed screw. Close the bleed screw when you are certain that there is no more air in the line. Proceed to the next bleed screw.

The speed bleeders have check valves in them that allows flow in one direction only. As pressure is applied to the bleed screw, the check valve opens and allows fluid and air to pass. When pressure is relieved from the line, the Speed Bleeder check valve closes and does not allow air or fluid to pass.

I've been using them on my motorcycles for about 15 years with excellent results.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
I rebuilt all calipers and foot pedal master cylinder so got lots of air in lines. Can not get to bleed steady stream. Not an easy jjob for one man to do by himself. This 83 is unlike bikes built before and after this as the foot brake is to operate right front caliper and rear caliper. Anyone have suggestion?
Just FYI there is nothing special about the brakes on the 83 model. I believe it was the first year Honda had integrated brakes on the Goldwing but every model after that has had them. All of them up through the 87 models operated the right front with the rear brake. Then starting in 88 with the GL1500, the rear brake and the left front were operated together. The 1800 is a different animal altogether with the brakes.

·
Administrator
25,371 Posts
I would either use the gravity feed method or speed bleeders.

My preferred method is to use Speed Bleeders. With Speed Bleeders you can do one caliper/cylinder at a time by simply placing a clear vinyl tube on one of the bleed screws. Put the other end in an empty container. Open the bleed screw and operate the lever or pedal associated with that bleed screw. Close the bleed screw when you are certain that there is no more air in the line. Proceed to the next bleed screw.
I've been doing that for 1/2 a century without speed bleeders.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I used to do the job without speed bleeders also. MUCH easier with them for one person.
If you use the gravity method, of coarse you are going to have to be careful not to empty the reservoir, as in all bleeding.
gumbyred

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used a pump off of a hand sanitizer bottle to suck the fluid and air out of the lines. Hooked one end of the hose to the bleeder And the other end to the pump. Pumped it into a container.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my choice is speed bleeders but also check believe there are some valves too that have to be bleed even with speed bleeder i take a quart jar and put some brake fluid in making sure the line going into it is under fluid whole time just an added level of caution , also check make sure don't have to bleed in specific order

1 - 10 of 10 Posts