Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok, it's Guru time !! I have just replaced brake hoses, pads and rebuilt calipers. I had some lever before but now I can't get fluid to the calipers. I have tried traditional bleeding methods and also a Mity-Vac to no avail. This bike is a restore project and believe it or not this problem is the only thing holding up the first ride for this bikein 15 years!! Please help me get her launched,TIA.

Artmann

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I was redoing the brakes on my 78, pulled the cap and filled it with fluid and spent the next 20 minutes trying to get fluid to the calipers. After that I looked in the reservoir and saw that I had left the rubber in it and filled the rubber with fluid. I wasn't even drinking, sure felt dumb.:shock:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

Try loosening the banjo bolt at the reservoir just a bit to let out a little air as you gently squeeze on the lever several times. Be sure to have a shop rag under the banjo bolt fitting to catch any brake fluid ... it will ruin the paint finish if not cleaned up quickly.

You should see a little bubbling. Tighten the banjo bolt again and continue bleeding as usual. I found this also helped when bleeding the clutch reservoir.

I found that "Speed Bleeders" work well, especially when working alone. NAPA P.N. 675-1569, about $16.00 / pair CDN. The same fitting works on the clutch slave.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

Read this trick recently on another board.

The 1100 has a bad habit of trapping a single bubble of air in the caliper because the caliper sets with the bleeder vale slightly tilted. To eliminate this you need to leave the brake line attached, remove the lower caliper bolt and slightly loosen the upper bolt. This will allow the caliper to swing out just a bit so the bleeder is straight up.

The reason the bubble stays in there is that the caliper is tilted and leaves a small pocket for the bubble to form and no amount of bleeding (even using the pump method) will eliminate it.

Performing a standard bleeding process when the caliper has the bleeder valve straight up will eliminate the bubble of air and leave you a strong full brake.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

uncle a method worked for me,the very same problem was pulling my hair out until i tried it some months ago,

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Ok here's where I'm at. When I disconnect the brake line from the MC and put my finger over the MC outlet I get plenty of fluid and suction so I believe the MC is OK.
I have tried locating the bleeder screw as suggested in a vertical position without any results. The Mity Vac is not creating any suction when applied to the bleeder valve and just does not pump up so I am assuming there is a leak somewhere but I am at a loss to find it because everything is tight. This isn't rocket science and should be very simple
GETTING VERY FRUSTRATED !!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

since you are getting fluid at the M/C, I would disconnect hose from caliper and see if you get fluid on other end of hose. If so then you have something amiss in the caliper. Are you sure your vacuum pump is pulling? This may sound gross, but I have used a peice of hose and well...........created my own suction................ Use clear hose so you can see the fluid and not get a mouth full. Don't ask me how I know. Did you clean out the caliper good. It may have gradu in the hole not allowing fluid to pass or at least not enough.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

When I brought my '81 in for tires, dealer did front brakes w/o telling me...

I was going to do them myself when I got her back...

Anyway, counter guy said " tech could'nt bleed brakes very well " spent hours on it...

It took me acouple days of bleeding it, letting it sit, then bleeding it...

It finally got where I wanted it & no problems since... Hope you get her corrected...

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Sometimes it is as simple as loosening the bleeder valve and let it sit. Be sure to place a container where it will catch the fluid.

Also, try tapping on the master cylinder and resivor,,,,,,,,, sometimes a bubble can get hung in there and just needs to be jarred loose.

Good luck and keep at it. And please report back on what you find or even not.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
imported post

try takeing the master/c top off pump the brake till you get some sort of puessure then zip tie the lever in over night work for me .

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

are the threads on the bleeder loose enough to lose the vacuum and it is sucking air not fluid?(canremove bleeder and wrap just threads with teflon tape to seal) If small port(there are two)in m/cyl stopped up air will be trapped there also and keep it from building pressure on manualpump up.:waving: Keno

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

KEEEEEEEEEEEEENOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!

You are the Guru of the day !!!!!

I had wire brushed the threads on the bleeder valves when rebuilding the calipers. There was 27 years of rust etc. on them. I guess thats what was keeping them sealed. They did not appear to be excessively loose but the Teflon Tape did the trick, once applied the brakes bled like one of Madoff's victims!!!

Thanks to all who contributed their suggestions I am in your debt.

Artmann

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.